Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Another vote for "I love my ultrex". Was fishing crappie by some docks and the wind was blowing toward the docks. Not much wind but a little. I just pointed the bow into the wind, grabbed my remote and went to the back deck to fish. It worked great!

2. Member
    I went with the Terrova but you are correct that they are awesome! Keep in mind they made the new ones (last couple years?) quieter and more acurate on spot lock. I got the micro remote but found I like the standard one (there again, they made them smaller) for the info on the screen so have not used the little one at all. On a lanyard clipped to a belt loop works for me. I don't think I would like either around my neck.
    I used a small magnetic compass to check for magnetism before mounting the heading sensor and was surprised to find some where I did not expect it. I have not played with the sensor location to see if it actually would affect it in any way. Really happy with it!

3. Member
    Love mine. I put an Ultrex 80 w / i-Pilot Link on my 2003 175 vs.

Spot lock like having a fishing guide on-board. Set it and forget about holding position...just fish.

I'm still learning all the things it can do but that spot lock is the real deal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    I'm pretty much the only one on BBC who didn't care for the Ultrex and went back to the Fortrex...Lol
    I'm curious. Don't you miss the spot lock in deep water when its windy? OMG. After owning one, I will NEVER be without one!

5. BBC SPONSOR Pro's Choice Pete's Avatar
    Great review Dean, thanks for posting.
    Pro's Choice Marine's Facebook Page
    Pete's Ranger Channel
    Click on the banner to check out our website!

6. Member
    Hi. I installed an 80#ultrex IP LINK 60" in my lund. I already chewed up one wire and I'm also waiting for the new head part at no cost to me.
    Question: do i always face the wind before pressing spot lock? Up to now works great as long as I do that.however, when i have the wind behind me it won't stay on spot lock. Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated. I love my ultrex, but I'm still learning to use it.

Thanks

7. Member
    My Ultrex was awesome on Okeechobee, but it died the second day on Lake Marion. Left the trip early and just pulled it off the boat a few hours ago and it is on it's way back to Minn Kota. Don't know what happened, and Minn Kota is not offering any explanation. They are supposed to be shipping a new unit out in the next day or so. The unit would still steer, but the prop would not turn. Tried the remote too. Checked all the breakers, switches, took the foot pedal apart to check connections in there, everything was good. Sorta sucks being away on a fishing trip where we paid for a house and out of state lic, etc only to have to leave early because of equipment failure. Hope it doesn't happen again on my other trips I have planned.

8. Member
    Does anyone know if the ultrex will work with Lowrance gps? I saw where is will work with Hummingbird.
    Ranger 520vx Yamaha 225 ox66.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Lane View Post
    Does anyone know if the ultrex will work with Lowrance gps? I saw where is will work with Hummingbird.
    Only works with hummingbird units as far as GPS.
    2012 Z521, Yamaha 250 SHO
    SOLD-1998 Ranger 519DVS, Mercury 225 EFI
    Semper Fi

10. Member
    Pick mine up Wednesday. Getting the ultrex installed plus: Hydo steering, hot foot, blinker trim, HDS9 Console and Bow, and...maybe a hydro JP.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Super 91 View Post
    My Ultrex was awesome on Okeechobee, but it died the second day on Lake Marion. Left the trip early and just pulled it off the boat a few hours ago and it is on it's way back to Minn Kota. Don't know what happened, and Minn Kota is not offering any explanation. They are supposed to be shipping a new unit out in the next day or so. The unit would still steer, but the prop would not turn. Tried the remote too. Checked all the breakers, switches, took the foot pedal apart to check connections in there, everything was good. Sorta sucks being away on a fishing trip where we paid for a house and out of state lic, etc only to have to leave early because of equipment failure. Hope it doesn't happen again on my other trips I have planned.
    I have already had 2 do the same thing, they just all of the sudden quit, steering still works but prop won't turn.

12. Member
    I wonder if they have this issue addressed in the units made this year. My unit was manufactured in 2016, but I don't hear of the guys with the newer units having issues. Hope they figured it out and got it fixed as I loved the Ultrex while it was working.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Lane View Post
    I wouldn't let the Humminbird thing stop you if you want an Ultrex. I have a link version networked to my HB and I haven't used any of the options yet. I thought the link was going to be awesome and isn't yet. It's a pretty clunky integration in my limited experience so far.

Part of the the problem for me is that Lakemaster doesn't cover 2 little lakes I fish a lot. So I used autochart live to map one, which is pretty awesome, but if I have a navionics card in with the AC overlay and I want to circle a way point I have to turn off the navionics card and wait for the AC map to load. And wait. And wait some more. And do a little more waiting. It's not 10 or 15 seconds of waiting. It was far longer. I'd be better off manually circling my way point. Once the map loads I tell it to circle this way point with an offset of 40 feet and go clockwise. And nothing happens. So I keep trying and nothing happens. The link connects to the first HB you power up so I turn off the console (which I turn on first) because I'm not going through the map loading again, and finally get it to circle a way point.

I can't say that I love Lakemaster cards so far, but it could be that I'm just not used to them. So things, like how jagged contour lines look vs Navionics when you zoom in I'm not sure I'll ever get used to. It's also really hard to see my boat on base Lakemaster map because of the colors (not sure if I can change that).

Nothing for link is intutive to me. I had to read the manual to figure out how to follow a contour or circle a way point. I don't like the MK controls on my HB screen because it takes up space.

This all might change if I use the link features more.

The Ultrex, though, in its most basic form, drive it like a Fortrex and hit the spot lock button on the pedal (which I how I use it) is impressive enough that I'll never go back.

I wonder if they have this issue addressed in the units made this year. My unit was manufactured in 2016, but I don't hear of the guys with the newer units having issues. Hope they figured it out and got it fixed as I loved the Ultrex while it was working.
    I think it's luck of the draw. I have a non link that I got in November that has been trouble free other than having the constant stick on. I adjusted it and it was 100% trouble free until I broke the steering cable (and that was all on me and not a defect).

My link I have had since the end of February and it doesn't have the changes to the mount/head and it has been 100% trouble free as well.

I'm not exactly easy on my stuff. I bashed the link into a submerged tree so hard last week I almost got pitched out of the boat. Yesterday I stuck the link on something and had to reverse off of it with my big motor because I couldn't pull the Ultrex up and off of it.

15. Member
    Who has a ultrex in stock
    Thanks

16. Member
    I hope, but if it is luck of the draw, I'll get one that doesn't work, unless my luck changes:)

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin70 View Post
    I hope, but if it is luck of the draw, I'll get one that doesn't work, unless my luck changes:)
    Oh my the Ultrex sound like the deal....I need another 12 hours a day 8 to work another job for the money an the other 4 to fish.

18. Member
    Got my second unit installed and no problem fishing last Friday night. Going again this Friday, hope to have a good unit this time. Love the features!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12