Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

River conditions

Was checking to see how the river was looking for the weekend. Was planning on making a trip down, and don't want to take the drive if the river isn't worth fishing.

2. Member
    Well, we got a bunch of rain today in a short time. Yesterday driving over the Occoquan water color looked good, this afternoon was muddy as far you could see. Wind is 25+ tomorrow and and 15+ Saturday. Check the guages and see what they say. Good luck and be safe if you come down.

3. Member
    Like I said, this would be my first trip down there. I'm trying to get some time on the river for a tournament I have coming up. The forecast is saying Sat and Sunday shouldn't be too bad. Just don't want to take the trip if everything is completely blown out with mud.

4. Member
    15+ mph will have the river pretty rough. Most likely a small craft advisory. You have a bigger boat, right?

5. Member
    Yeah, I have a 21 foot bass boat. If it's going to be nasty Saturday, I'll probably wait until next weekend to make the trip down

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrove992 View Post
    Yeah, I have a 21 foot bass boat. If it's going to be nasty Saturday, I'll probably wait until next weekend to make the trip down
    Ok that's good. Yea, I'd give it until tomorrow midmorning or so to get a better picture what is predicted weather-wise.

Right now, it's a gale warning for tonight, tomorrow, and small craft tomorrow night. NOAA is expecting to call a small craft on Saturday. Sunday looks like it has good potential for the weather, but hard to say how the water condition will be after 2 days of rough water and a day of heavy rain today.

Other side of it is who's to say next weekend will be any better...this time of the year can be annoying to work around small craft advisories

Not sure if lots of people on here will go out in a small craft advisory or what the general consensus is regarding those and going fun/pre fishing in them, but I try to stay away. I have a 21' as well.

7. Member
    Any updates on how it's looking today?

8. Member
    NOAA has issued small craft advisory tomorrow.

9. Member
    It's tough to pick days during the spring time. Lots of wind usually.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

10. Member
    If they issued a small craft advisory, is it because of the wind speed or wave height? I know from fishing the great lakes they normally issue one if wave heights exceed 4 feet. I checked the marine forecast for the Potomac, and it seems the wave heights are supposed to be 1 foot. Just curious is all.

11. Member
    Forecasted wave height does not include the phenomena of the wind blowing against the tides, which can result in much bigger waves. Seas 1ft and calm winds there will be no small craft advisory, generally. Not sure about the threshold for calling a small craft other than when the conditions are more dangerous for small boats like ours. I've been out in them before. They don't call it if it's not going to be rough. I've seen them called before for winds at like 10kt. Woke up, felt the wind outside and thought it wasn't even windy so I went out...and it was definitely rough. Depends on the day and overall conditions how bad it is, but if it's called it'll be rough. If you're making a trip down, a day with a small craft won't be that fun to fish because of wind and waves depending on spot and what you wanted to do.

12. Member
    Just heard that a tournament (Potomac Teams) that was scheduled for tomorrow was cancelled. Also just heard 3fters are expected tomorrow. 5ft seas today

13. Member
    I really appreciate all the advice. I'm going wait until next weekend to make the trip down. With my tournament schedule this year, this will be the first time I've been down to the Potomac, so I'm trying to get as much time on the water as I can.

14. CMO Reel Life Baits scottyisback44's Avatar
    If the wind is blowing bad like that how are the creeks? Obviously to get to a creek you have to go on the big river but do the creeks tend to lay down some?

15. Member
    I stopped by Pohick and while heavily stained, it was from the wind and not muddy. Anywhere with grass will clear pretty in the creeks, main river grass takes awhile longer.

16. Member
    I really appreciate all the advice. I'm going wait until next weekend to make the trip down. With my tournament schedule this year, this will be the first time I've been down to the Potomac, so I'm trying to get as much time on the water as I can.
    Nice, I think that's a better call rather than coming down here from PA on a small craft advisory day. I'm not going out to the Potomac tomorrow either...I'll go somewhere else and hit the Potomac on Sunday.

17. mikesxpress
    I'll wait till Monday-Tuesday when it's supposed to be 80.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    I'll wait till Monday-Tuesday when it's supposed to be 80.
    And you'll catch them too...I hope to Be able to catch them like that eventually

I see that there is a small craft advisory through this eve. Tomorrow 5-10 out of the SW with 1 footers. Im about 1 hour 45 mins from Aquia, 1 1/2 from Leesylvania. With this forecast is it worth a trip tomorrow? Not many days I can get down there.

Rick Elrod

20. Member
    1ft is calm...as long as no small craft I'd say go for it if you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast