Lifting SHO off the boat to reseal or replace jack plate

I have a 250 SHO on my Champ. Looking at pulling the motor off to pull the jackplate and reseal all the holes. May even do an upgrade to a hydraulic. Anyway does anybody know of a way to lift the motor off without the lift ring kit, I have access to an engine lift just not sure if there is an easy way to hook up without that kit. Those kits run around 200 bucks which is a lot for something that I will use once, maybe twice in the time I own the engine so trying to see if there is another way.

2. Member
    in the past I have used a piece of chain and a head bolt on one side and a bolt on the other like the starter. was on merc and evinrude v6's . just like pulling a car engine

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    buy this one https://www.simyamaha.com/Lifting_Ring_p/yb-06820.htm
    and I will give you $100 when you are done with it
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

4. Member
    I don't have any great recommendations for dealing with the SHO with no lift ring, but if your lead on a lift/cherry picker ever becomes a problem, I have one too, you are welcome to it.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

5. Member
    Theres some bolts on rhe flywheel.. Unscrew them and get a chain and some washers.. Bolt them back on with the chains anf lift off.

6. Member
    Just make one out of scrap metal like this...

Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    Do not remove the fly wheel bolts unless you have new one to put in and retourque. They are not reusable.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouse4 View Post
    Just make one out of scrap metal like this...

Huh that just made me think. I already have a universal engine lift plate for car motors. If that would fit I bet it would work. HEck even if I have to drill a few new holes be better than $177 for the Yamaha factory one.

9. Member
    You can get new bolts from home depot if you cant reused em... Ive done it a few times with no problem on my 250 and 225 sho.. Better than drilling a few new holes..

10. Member
    The bolts from Yamaha are not a standard bolt. The hole for the lift are already in in rotor so no need to drill holes.

11. Member
    In that case, just get 3 bolts and washers from home depot and put them in the pre drilled holes. I have pics and video how i removed mines.. Just msg me ur number and ill text it.. Aint worth 200 bucks for a plate when u can get bolts and washers to do sand

12. Member
    i would not loosen any of the head bolts, could cause you problems in the future. unless you loosen only the last two bolts in the tightening sequence you would have to loosen all the head bolts and retorque in the proper order to do it correctly.
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    A $15 engine lifting plate at Advance Auto is all you need and three hardened metric bolts from the hardware store. Redrill the plate and use the holes designed for the Yamaha lifting plate.

14. Member
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-outb...7-a546068348fe

Yamaha Outboard Lifting kit. Compatible on all VMAX SHO, 5.3V8, 4.2V6, 2.8, F200B, F115B outboard 4 stroke engines. This kit will also work on older Mercury outboard models. The lifting kit comes complete with detailed instructions, lifting eye, mounting bracket, and the mounting bolts. The engine is lifted from the flywheel without the need to remove any flywheel bolts.

20190909_154531.jpg
    Last edited by charbonezz; 09-09-2019 at 05:46 PM.