Thread: Camper tires

Camper tires

I'm looking to replace my tires on my vintage 1973 Timberline 20 foot camper. What's a good brand to buy that doesn't break the bank ?

Buy an LT type tire instead of an LS type. I have pulled my 33ft 5th wheel all over the place with an E rated light truck tire without fail. My latest set happen to be Kuhmo's. Meanwhile the LS or trailer rated tires seem to be troublesome unless you get into the upper end tires, such as the Maxxis or Goodyears.

I'm going to run the Carlisle Radial Trail HD on mine when I replace. Walmart has them for around 52 bucks each.

Maxxis 8008's...

Thanks I'll check them out.

6. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Was going to make a separate post but glad I searched. My TT has been stored for the last few months and I was going to take it back up to the lake yesterday. My tires are probably 2 1/2 years old and see more parked time than on the road. Pulled out of storage and didn't make it 1/2 mile before I had a blowout. Will be putting a full set on it Tuesday after I call around and get prices tomorrow.

7. Member
    goodyear endurance D range
    made in usa
    i put a set on boat and travel trailer

8. Member
    Ditto on the Goodyears! Replaced China Bomb Trailer Kings only 30 months old. Did not want a blow out and rip the side of the 5th wheel off. You are playing with fire pulling over 70 mph in the summer in South Texas.

9. Member
    Please don't buy the China made Hi Run's. I had a brand new one of those blow out on the very first trip after they were installed on a 40 foot fifth wheel.

10. Member
    Check out Sailun Tires, they are based in Canada and are built like a tire you would find on a semi. I got a set for my 40' fifth wheel and have not had any problems yet. They are load range G 110 psi. They are almost twice the weight of a regular trailer tire and the side walls are very stiff. Look them up on youtube. price was not bad either.

11. Banned
    Sorry, but a 20 foot camper doesn't use very heavy duty tires. What size tires are you presently running? If your trailer takes ST tires, go with the Goodyear Endurance or the Maxxis M8008's. Otherwise, go with a auto/truck tire of decent quality.

So much has been written about the quality of tires coming out of China. This includes many known brands like Carlisles and Goodyear Marathons. And most are brands you've never heard of. Never, never purchase them if you intend to put many miles on your trailer as they are of very low quality. The only Chinese built tire of decent quality is the Sailun tire, but they have a pretty small dealer base in the U.S. if you have problems.

Now I have a fifth wheel with 16 inch tires, and it came with Westlakes. I replaced them on Day One with Bridgestone Duravis R250's, a ribbed tire like you'd see on utility dept. trucks with cranes or cherry pickers. Now they're a real heavy duty LT/E tire.

But don't go cheap on any trailer tire or you will have heartaches down the road--literally.

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Craft View Post
    I'm looking to replace my tires on my vintage 1973 Timberline 20 foot camper. What's a good brand to buy that doesn't break the bank ?
    Step 1 is to weigh the camper loaded as heavy as you ever tow. If you tow with tanks full, weigh it like that. When you know what it weighs, you can shop for tires.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    Been running the Maxxis 8008's on my 5th wheel and 20' cargo trailer with no issues.

14. Member
    I second that! Replaced the "E" rated factory tires on my 37' Laredo with "G" rated 14 ply Sailun S637 tires. Free shipping, no tax at Simple tire. Had a set on a 38' Jayco and they were great.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfstorm View Post
    Check out Sailun Tires, they are based in Canada and are built like a tire you would find on a semi. I got a set for my 40' fifth wheel and have not had any problems yet. They are load range G 110 psi. They are almost twice the weight of a regular trailer tire and the side walls are very stiff. Look them up on youtube. price was not bad either.