Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stiff steering @ WOT

So i had the boat out yesterday running her to dial in the jackplate. First time ive really ever given her hell since installing a new (to me) motor. I have very recently maintenanced my steering cables and off the motor they are smooth as butter. Idling around there is very little resistance and can steer with one hand. Running 50 or so it requires 2 hands to steer but manageable. She began to chine at 65 and steering was so stiff that i could not compensate to keep her from walking so i backed off. It is easier to steer right than left. Anything i can do or look at to fix this issue or am i looking at new cables? System is a NFB on a '96 Javelin 389TE. Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    You are fighting the torque. Worse at high power and high trim angles. You can try adjusting the tab to offset some torque, but the real solution is hydraulic steering.

3. Member
    Tab should not be in the water at higher speeds, may benefit from adding a torque wedge to the skeg on stbd side, like a torquemaster gearcase has.

4. Member
    More than likely you are a touch high on the jackplate. Try dropping it a 1/4"
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

5. Member
    I completely forgot about adjusting the tab. Ill see if that helps any.

From my research, my application(6" manual, 175 fast strike, 24 Raker) should run best at 3.25" to 3.5" P2P. At 3.5" i had prop blowout so bad that it was tough to get it on plane and when i did the rooster tail was ungodly high. I lowered it to 4" and it fixed the blowout but the rooster tail is still about cowl high (some of that may be from the transducer). Should i still lower it another 1/4" and try again?

6. Member
    Last edited by Wyatt; 04-05-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Double post. Stupid phone

7. Member
    Last edited by Wyatt; 04-05-2017 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Triple post. Really hating this thing

8. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Either the jack plate is too high and or you are trimmed too high is my guess.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

9. Member
    You have wheel torque, from the right hand rotation of the prop, and the jack plate height. You should drop the plate about 1/4 to 3/8, and see how it feels.

10. Member
    Next round out I'll lower it another 1/4" and see what happens. Ill also keep trim angle in mind. Thanks guys!

11. Member
    Wyatt,a TH torque tab will all but cure your problem. And it's easy to install. Search TH marine.com to see one. I used several of them years ago before hydro steering got to be so common,even if I am telling my age.

12. Member
    Wyatt, you really need hydraulic steering. Best investment you will make.

13. Member
    That TH torque tab looks interesting. First time ive seen it. Ill keep that in mind as well after i try all the free adjustments.

I worked a hydraulic system into the budget for this year but that was before my motor decided it was time to retire so maybe next year. Ive driven a few boats with hydraulic steering and i absolutely love them but for now, ill be sticking with the ole cable system.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    That TH torque tab looks interesting. First time ive seen it. Ill keep that in mind as well after i try all the free adjustments.

I worked a hydraulic system into the budget for this year but that was before my motor decided it was time to retire so maybe next year. Ive driven a few boats with hydraulic steering and i absolutely love them but for now, ill be sticking with the ole cable system.
    it works.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I completely forgot about adjusting the tab. Ill see if that helps any.

From my research, my application(6" manual, 175 fast strike, 24 Raker) should run best at 3.25" to 3.5" P2P. At 3.5" i had prop blowout so bad that it was tough to get it on plane and when i did the rooster tail was ungodly high. I lowered it to 4" and it fixed the blowout but the rooster tail is still about cowl high (some of that may be from the transducer). Should i still lower it another 1/4" and try again?
    Yes i would drop it a 1/4 and see what it will do . The OMC motors run a tad deeper than Mercury and Yam ...sounds like it to high and the prop is breaking the surface ? Could be wrong ...but just a few bolts to unloose ......Mark the spot where you at with a marker before moving .

16. Member
    Ill go against everyone else and ask how high you were trimmed? If you aren't trimmed up at WOT you wont have any bow lift. No bow lift means more boat in the water which equals hard to steer. My boat is considerably harder to steer at 60 percent trim than at 90 percent. With more motor in the water you really have to tug on the wheel but as you bump up the motor she'll free up and turn smooth as butter

17. Member
    You have a problem somewhere for sure. That hull/motor combo will not throw a high rooster tail. Javelin & Stratos are made that way. On my 285PE, it is harder to steer at 50% lift at any speed over 45 than at 100% trim. That raker is a good prop for the boat. If someone close has a good Renegade 25 try that. May loose 1-2 mph but hole shot will be great. If you could find a no feedback helm and replace, that will help. But, you will have to replace cables also. I did this to mine.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    Ill go against everyone else and ask how high you were trimmed? If you aren't trimmed up at WOT you wont have any bow lift. No bow lift means more boat in the water which equals hard to steer. My boat is considerably harder to steer at 60 percent trim than at 90 percent. With more motor in the water you really have to tug on the wheel but as you bump up the motor she'll free up and turn smooth as butter
    I was running somewhere around 85-90% trim. Had plenty of bow lift as i was running on the pad when she began to chine.

Ill probably get her out friday evening, make some adjustments, and try try again. I really appreciate everyone for their input!

19. Member
    The torque tab on the skeg is the solution to your issue. I always ran one on my older boats with cable steering. When you are up on pad and trimmed out the skeg is the only thing that is going to allow you to counter the propeller torque.

20. Member
    i know the feeling , i have 2 props , a 24 Raker and a 25 Renegade … My Ranger 461VS is a dream to drive wide open with the Renegade , and virtually impossible to drive with the Raker 24 …. same issue as you , can't steer left at all .. and on a 30 mile run up the ohio river , my arm/shoulder and chest are killing me from forcing the wheel left to go straight . And I have Hyd steering …..I've had the motor from 4" to 3" prop to pad with virtually no change … and trim all over the spectrum , but higher is worse than less trim angle …. do yourself a favor and try the Renegade as mentioned above … I think you'll like it …. (my 25 Renegade and 24 Raker run exactly the same MPH , by GPS , but the Raker runs about 200 RPM's more ….) good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast