Thread: PRO XS 250

PRO XS 250

For Ranger Rodney or anyone with more mechanical experience than me. I walked out to the garage before work today and notice a spot about the size of a quarter under my motor. It was the brown DFI oil that ran down the motor. I didn't have much time, but pulled the cowing and nothing at first glance was noticeable. I was on the water two weeks ago, no issues or alarms. I plan on fishing USA Bassin this weekend, and would prefer not to be dropping my boat off this time of year.
    Do you think this is anything to be concerned with?

2. Member
    Did you happen to look at your oil pump? They have a history of leaking..............

3. Member
    I was dressed for work and didn’t want to start digging around. Where is it in relation to the oil reservoir on the motor? I assume that if I see oil on there that would be the issue probably? If so is that a show stopper?

4. Member
    I have a standard 200 Optimax and my oil pump is located on the opposite side of the motor parallel to the internal oil tank. I too have a leaking oil pump however its very small at this time only leaking a few drops every couple of trips. The problem is with the O-rings. Anyway if in fact this is what your problem is and you are noticing that much oil this very well could be a serious problem that you may not want to run the engine until its taken care of. This may not be whats wrong in your case but its worth a look...........

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hookabass View Post
    For Ranger Rodney or anyone with more mechanical experience than me. I walked out to the garage before work today and notice a spot about the size of a quarter under my motor. It was the brown DFI oil that ran down the motor. I didn't have much time, but pulled the cowing and nothing at first glance was noticeable. I was on the water two weeks ago, no issues or alarms. I plan on fishing USA Bassin this weekend, and would prefer not to be dropping my boat off this time of year.
    Do you think this is anything to be concerned with?
    Yes, I would be concerned. It should not be leaking oil. You need to find where the oil is coming from. Taking off the lower cowlings should help in this process.

6. Member
    Thanks for the input. That was my gut feeling also. sucks here it is time to fish and the boat will be in the shop.

7. Member
    Oil reserve reservoir cap/connections? How tilted do you store your engine? I wouldn't panic. I'd check the mercury forums