07 Z20 with Nav light and horn not receiving power

The bow nav light/horn receptacle is receiving no power and I don't know why....

At first I thought it was just the nav lights that had stopped working but later found out my horn was working intermittently.
    I checked the pins inside the receptacle with a multi-meter and tried a new nav light with no success.
    I took the bow panel off and checked the three pin connector to see if that was the issue and again no change.
    I double checked each pin with the multi-meter and I'm getting no voltage.
    Under the console I found the same three pin connector (which I assumed is the wires running to the bow) I checked the pins with the multi-meter with the same results.

After some research on the board here I have my suspicions that it could be the keypad going bad, but everything else on the keypad works fine...

any thoughts?
    united in the pursuit of bass.

2. Member
    Gremlins!

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rubberdown View Post
    Gremlins!
    HAHA, or maybe it was the mouse that managed to get into my compartments and chewed up a bunch of soft plastics...

4. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Recheck what you stated above but with the negative lead extended to a trusted ground.....battery negative terminal would be best. If still no plus volts at NAV light or HORN, time to get under the console.

Check for voltage at the NAV lighting and and horn connector pin outputs at the switching box.....if good there, check for continuity in the Nav circuit and horn wiring especially near any mouse droppings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Recheck what you stated above but with the negative lead extended to a trusted ground.....battery negative terminal would be best. If still no plus volts at NAV light or HORN, time to get under the console.

Check for voltage at the NAV lighting and and horn connector pin outputs at the switching box.....if good there, check for continuity in the Nav circuit and horn wiring especially near any mouse droppings.
    Thanks! I'll give that a try and see what's going there!

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    It is more likely to experience one broken wire/bad connection than two. So I think it is unlikely you have lost both switched 12 volts to the horn and bow light circuits.

But they do share the very same ground return. A single break in this ground wire, attached to J3 pin P on my 2007 Ranger Z, would fail both the horn and the bow light (and a courtesy light, which I believe is also provided power in the base of the NAV light connector.) There seems to be some kind of connectorized power and ground distribuiton board? perhaps located just under the bow panel near the NAV light socket and bow horn.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 04-06-2017 at 12:18 PM.