Thread: Toledo Bend

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Toledo Bend

https://jimrootfishing.com/toledo-bend/

I posted this on the Louisiana bass club also.
    Last edited by rock; 04-03-2017 at 06:56 PM.

2. Member
    What a shame....I wish they would keep the smaller bass to eat and release the large ones.

3. Member
    There's a lot of guys on Bass Resource saying it's BS. Guys that have been fishing TB for decades rather than one time.

4. Member
    That's what happened at Falcon. The cleaning shack at State Park ramp was busy, all day long, 4 - 5 years ago. Combined with the water draw down and the gar, bass fishing was all but OVER . Stick a fork in it.

5. Banned
    I saw it first hand at Amistad, cleaning stations full of out of state plates, and a limit of big fish. When the numbers start dropping you begin to hear "we can't catch any big fish" then they haul ass. As stated, falcon was and is the same way and until the limits change it will continue. I will say it's the locals too, I watched two dumb ass's in a pontoon a few years ago live bait fishing and both had their limits of five and all of them were over 10, biggest was 13. They fished out a couple of holes till they couldn't catch anymore after days and days of doing it.

TB is only a shadow of what it used to be. I used to love fishing there as I lived a 40 minute drive away. Now it's no where near worth the drive from Shreveport, much less from Dallas. If a slot isn't put on the lake, there will be no good bass fishing above the bridge.
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

I hate to hear that! I love fishing the lake, I plan on being there in June.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin R. View Post
    I hate to hear that! I love fishing the lake, I plan on being there in June.
    You'll do fine, I've been going often and it is still great! Helps to know where to fish. The Elites are about to show us all!

9. Member
    What the guy says about all the team Zip Locks is true. I have personally seen the horror first hand at Fin and Feather. Hundreds of fresh carcasses everyday piled up in the water next to the cleaning shack. This is just at Fin and Feather, so I can only imagine what's going on at all the other marinas.
    Granted, people have always kept fish on the "Bend", but this keep em all mentality has gotten out of hand the past couple years.
    I watched a group of 8 guys from out of state come for a week. They left with 2- 100qt coolers packed to the brim with bass fillets, with many of those being 5+ lb fish. I mentioned to them my concern about the big fish they were keeping and got the "We didn't drive all the way down here to go home empty handed".

One thing in the acticle is incorrect. The guy stated the lake looks to be 8'-10' low. That is not true, and this is what a lot of the team zip locks are using to debunk the guys article. The lake has been running on avg around 2 1/2' - 3' low, and that has set it up for the a$$ whipping it's taking. The fish have nowhere to get to safety, and every jackhole with a wacky worm is picking off bedders right and left.

I fish the Bend almost daily starting in Jan. Before it got the "#1" ranking, it was normal to see 5 - 10 boats running the lake on a weekday with crappy weather in Jan. The past couple years I have seen as many as 100 boats on the same crappy weather weekdays. On weekends, you'd need a calculator to keep track.

I fear the damage is done and it will be a long time before the Bend is back to what it was a few short years ago.
    That's just my opinion, but I'm not a fish biologist, so what do I know.

10. Member
    I agree with Andy....the best fish in Falcon and TB have been flushed down the toilet by all the Yankees that came down to fish.....and all the coonasses in aluminum boats that put the knife to everything that comes over the gunnel

11. Member
    Just finished fishing the Texas Oilman's on Toledo, out of 450 teams, 228 teams weighed in a fish. 47 pounds won it for two days. They were spraying heavily in six mile. The hay grass and hydrilla is not as relevant as to this time last year. Will be interesting to see what the pros do and what they say about the lake from last year.
    2013 A211 250 Pro XS
    Bob"s 10" Action Series Hydraulic Jack Plate
    2-8' Power Poles

12. Member
    http://basschamps.com/results.cfm?to...rSelected=2017

http://texasteamtrail.com/uploads/pd...nd_Results.pdf

yea its just horrible on the bend.. don't believe everything you read...

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    http://basschamps.com/results.cfm?to...rSelected=2017

http://texasteamtrail.com/uploads/pd...nd_Results.pdf

yea its just horrible on the bend.. don't believe everything you read...
    Kind of what I was thinking.. Really sux's.

14. Member
    I just spent a week there and couldn't buy bass, gave up and went after crappie. Could be that I suck for sure, but the lake isn't fishing as it has in recent years in my opinion. The lack of grass in normal places may just have me fishing the wrong spots, I don't know. I have no doubt the Elites, a few of them, will do very well.

15. Member
    What do those links prove? In the first you posted there were 312 teams and only 23 had over 20 pounds. Don't just look at the fact that one or two had over 30. You can do that at 50 lakes in the US during the spawn.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jj7712 View Post
    What do those links prove? In the first you posted there were 312 teams and only 23 had over 20 pounds. Don't just look at the fact that one or two had over 30. You can do that at 50 lakes in the US during the spawn.
    well I think it kinda proves that there still a lot of big fish in the lake.. and that one guy writing a report that because HE didn't catch them there must not be any left .. may be misleading... I bet the elites smoke them...

17. Member
    I'm in the same boat with Charlie. I guess I just suck, but after fishing this lake for 47 years, I have never seen it fish this hard, or get this much pressure, even back in the hay days.

It is going to be interesting to see what the BIG boys do. I talked to a couple of them yesterday and they ask me "what the hell happened to this lake". All I could say was "Welcome to the #1 bass lake in the USA".

I am a firm believe that bass get bait smart. I truly think that happened to OH Ivie, Amistad, and now Tbend. Not so much fish harvesting as fish getting bait smart. If you get yer face slapped every time you try to eat a hotdog, you will eventually decide to not eat hotdogs.

So it all hinges on a 50/50 prediction. I do not agree with the article.

All lakes get tough after spawn in my mind, and someone always shows me this time of year that I have no idea what is going on at the lake.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    So it all hinges on a 50/50 prediction. I do not agree with the article.

All lakes get tough after spawn in my mind, and someone always shows me this time of year that I have no idea what is going on at the lake.
    That is very true. But the lake got tough to fish in mid to late Feb, at least it did for me and I'm on it every weekend year round. Of course there are huge numbers of big fish available, no doubt about it. But they don't seem to be acting in their normal fashion. I've been catching a lot of good fish at night but can't seem to buy more than 10 lbs in the daylight and that's a good day for me. It will be interesting to see how the big boys do. I think some will hammer the fish, some are in for a rude awakening. A couple weeks ago at either the Shell or the Chesapeake tournament, the cutoff for a check one day was 7 lbs., never seen anybody pull a check on this lake in a big tx with 7lbs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast