Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FG Knot Struggles

I've been trying to tie an FG knot as I hear it is a very good braid to flouro knot. I would consider myself fairly competent with knot tying, but can't seem to figure this one out. I am following a tube video from salt strong to a T. My wraps are even and it produces a nice looking coil, but it just doesn't grab the fluorocarbon like it is supposed to. Flouoro slips out every time. I have been attempting with 10lb braid and 8 or 12lb flouro.

anyone else have this issue and find a solution?

Never tried it on line that small,but I had issues at first as well. What I learned is that you need to pull the wraps tight as you go

Given that it looks right (it's really obvious when you've messed up), 30 wraps will solve your issue....it won't hold with lighter braid and fluoro with only 20 wraps. I think I probably do closer to 40 when I do it. It doesn't affect the performance or castability, just makes it a little longer and I figure is minimal effort for the insurance. I've NEVER had a failure at the leader knot with the FG - it's always at the lure. Definitely worth taking the time to figure out!

You also need extra wraps on the slick superlines like Gliss, Super Slick, and Nanofil no matter what size line you're using.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    I have had good luck with the FG knot for 10lb PowerPro to Flouro. I tie it like the Salt Strong "quick way" video. I usually do 30 wraps. After I do the 30 wraps and the two half hitches I grab both lines and pull hard to let the braid bite into the flouro. After that, I cut my tag end of the flouro a little long and use a lighter to heat the end of the flouro up to form a little mushroom on the end. You have to be careful to only heat the end of the flouro. Then I do a couple of half hitches around just the braid to help smooth out the knot as it goes through the eyes. I have never had the knot fail on me

5. Member
    The best solution I found, tie an Alberto knot! I us 15lb braid main line and 6-10lb flouro leader and the knot is so small and you can't even feel it or hear it going through your guides.

6. Member
    I've used that line combo without issue. I can't say how many wraps I do, but it ends up about 1/2" long with such small line. After the wraps, I can sometimes still get the line to slip a little. I tie a single half hitch to secure the wraps, then pull tightly on the braid main line and tag line to tighten the wraps, then pull on the brain main and leader main to secure the knot. This hasn't failed me yet to get the FG to trap the flouro. Then do whatever finish you like, two more hitches, trim the flouro tag end and three more hitches for me.
    Last edited by Dh0ckey11; 04-05-2017 at 07:00 AM. Reason: added HALF to the hitch description
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    I had the same issues learning this knot so here are some suggestions that will hopefully help you:

- Minimum of 30 loops instead of 20.

- When looping, do you start by going across the Top to the Back and under to the Front? Or the opposite? If you get this part backwards, the whole knot is shot.

- About Every 5-8 loops pull on the knot to really cinch it down tight. This will identify any problems or missed loops as well. If it doesn't continually cinch tighter as you do this, then something has gone wrong.

- What finishing knot are you using? Rizzuto? Half Hitch? Something else? This can also make a difference.

- Lastly, what brand of braid are you using? I've found that sometimes makes a difference. Some braids tend to slip with this knot more than others (IE - Spiderwire Stealth) due to a "waxy line" coating to the line.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyNegus94 View Post
    The best solution I found, tie an Alberto knot! I us 15lb braid main line and 6-10lb flouro leader and the knot is so small and you can't even feel it or hear it going through your guides.
    This is what I did^^^ just could not get it tied right so I went back to my trusty Alberto knot--never have had the first issue with the Alberto and can tie it with out thinking about it so for me I decided to stick with a knot that I can tie and have confidence in

9. Member
    Kenny,

It's very critical on the direction of the wrap of the fluoro around the braid. Go under the braid on both side but alternating sides. If you're doing that, you're doing everything correct so far. I went through yards of line learning this knot so I understand where you're coming from. I pull the coils tight a little bit as I'm wrapping the line for the FG knot. Perform some extra wraps beyond 20, and use the braid tag end (not the fluoro) to perform the hitch knots from the same direction. I usually do 2 or 3 hitch knots to hold the FG knot. Then moisten and pull hard from both directions. Once cinched tight, I usually end up doing around 4 extra hitch knots to cover up the tag end of the fluoro. I love this knot and have never had it break on me. However, there is NO way that I will be tying this knot in the boat if it's windy at all. Calm? yes. If it's windy I'll go to a fast knot like an Alberto or Gluszek knot

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_bowhunter View Post
    Kenny,

It's very critical on the direction of the wrap of the fluoro around the braid. Go under the braid on both side but alternating sides. If you're doing that, you're doing everything correct so far. I went through yards of line learning this knot so I understand where you're coming from. I pull the coils tight a little bit as I'm wrapping the line for the FG knot. Perform some extra wraps beyond 20, and use the braid tag end (not the fluoro) to perform the hitch knots from the same direction. I usually do 2 or 3 hitch knots to hold the FG knot. Then moisten and pull hard from both directions. Once cinched tight, I usually end up doing around 4 extra hitch knots to cover up the tag end of the fluoro. I love this knot and have never had it break on me. However, there is NO way that I will be tying this knot in the boat if it's windy at all. Calm? yes. If it's windy I'll go to a fast knot like an Alberto or Gluszek knot
    Regarding this part of his reply I’d agree. Tying knots on the go in the wind sucks. It’s time consuming and difficult with a LOT of room for error. If you fish Tournaments I’d say a very worthwhile investment to save a lot of time and unnecessary headaches is to get an extra spool for each reel and tie the knot on dry land. Most days you won’t need more than the knots from the original or back-up spool if you use a long enough leader on each.

11. Member
    I also do this^^ but I also tie 10-12 foot leaders so I have plenty in case I break off and retie and what not.

12. Member
    Well here's my take. I have never used 30 or 40 wraps (good grief), I usually use 15-20. I had the same problem as you, fluoro slipping through. I found that I wasn't tightening the knot properly. Here's what you do: when you're done with your wraps and have tied one half-hitch, use your fingers to gently push the wraps down toward the half hitch so they're tight and compact. Not too hard. Then grab both ends of the braid (don't touch the fluoro) and pull them as tight as you can. I mean as tight as you possibly can. It'll twist the knot around a bit and scrunch the wraps up, but when you do that it will not slip no matter what.
    Here's the second key: finish that knot off with at least 7 half hitches, and make sure they are smooth and form next to each other not piling up on top of each other.
    With those two things I have never had an FG knot fail yet, and again I'm only doing 15-20 wraps, and I do this with braid from 10 lb to 50 lb and fluoro 6 lb to 15 lb.

With all the issue why not just use the uni to uni? Takes about 30 seconds to tie.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Ray View Post
    With all the issue why not just use the uni to uni? Takes about 30 seconds to tie.
    The FG is stronger and slimmer, with no tag ends to catch rod eyes, and is less prone to impact breakage. On such small diameter and light line, this isn't a huge deal and the uni to uni works pretty well on spinning rods. The FG is a must for me with any baitcasting setup and I like the extra strength and reliability so I use it on spinning as well. It is a pita to tie, but 95% of the time I tie it once and never have to retie on the water because I break the flouro at the hook end. Never had a break at the knot with the FG, but sometime I run out of leader length or manage to screw something else up.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

I'm with you. I tied this knot successfully a few times while standing in my garage, but my jaw muscles were killing me. It just takes too much time and effort to be practical. Imagine tying that knot out on the water in a 20 mph wind.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    The FG is stronger and slimmer, with no tag ends to catch rod eyes, and is less prone to impact breakage. On such small diameter and light line, this isn't a huge deal and the uni to uni works pretty well on spinning rods. The FG is a must for me with any baitcasting setup and I like the extra strength and reliability so I use it on spinning as well. It is a pita to tie, but 95% of the time I tie it once and never have to retie on the water because I break the flouro at the hook end. Never had a break at the knot with the FG, but sometime I run out of leader length or manage to screw something else up.
    I would say that a FG knot with 20+ wraps is much larger than my uni-uni. I use braid with flouro and mono leaders on most of my bait casters with zero issues. Now I will say I do not use fluoro or mono over 17lb. I have not had a properly tied uni-uni fail at the knot.

17. Member
    No offense Capt Ray, but the FG knot is the thinner than the Uni to Uni knot, and is smaller in diameter overall when tied properly compared to a uni to uni. That's best for rods with smaller guides. I have had uni to uni knots fail because of them getting beat against the guides over time.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

18. Member
    I would say that a FG knot with 20+ wraps is much larger than my uni-uni. I use braid with flouro and mono leaders on most of my bait casters with zero issues. Now I will say I do not use fluoro or mono over 17lb. I have not had a properly tied uni-uni fail at the knot.
    is the uni to uni knot called a bimini twist? That is the knot I am tying for inshore saltwater and I've never had any issues with it failing.....ever.
    Question everything!

19. Member
    I had the same problem for awhile. Then I figured out I was going over with one of the wraps. Make sure you go under the braid on the front loop and the back loop. You may already be doing that, it completely solved my problem though. I agree 30 wraps is a lot. I do 15-20 and never had knot failure.

Quote Originally Posted by earthworm77 View Post
    is the uni to uni knot called a bimini twist? That is the knot I am tying for inshore saltwater and I've never had any issues with it failing.....ever.
    No, a bimini is a knot that doubles the braid , if I happen to double the braid (which is rare) I use a 4 turn surgeons loop to a uni to uni.
    I have caught 150 lb tarpon on a uni to uni ,a alberto and albright knot (all without doubling the braid). I have no time for a FG knot when the fish are biting , if anybody has ever had a bite shut down while re-rigging they would understand. One other tip I can pass down from my saltwater experience is , don't cast your knot thru your guides , there's really no need. Guides tear knots up when continuously casting the knot thru them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast