Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    The battery move only got me 1-2mph. Looks like my next move is to look for a 25p Tempest plus.

2. Member
    Update: picked up a Tempest Plus 25p. 3.5" under pad. Could barely get on plane, once planed out it went 65mph but was pushing it on RPM's, 5900. Put two plugs in. Jumped on plane but lost a ton of top end, 57mph. Removed one plug, hops on plane but lost some top end, 61. RPM's are at 5650. Played with the jack plate yesterday, went up 3/8", no bueno, came out of the hole fine but when the boat leveled out the prop lost grip for a bit then hooked back up, top speed only changed a bit, rooster was just higher than cowl. Lowered it to 31/4 p2p, good hole shot but still wanted to blow out once boat leveled off, didn't gain any top end, roost was cowling high, rpm was 5700, water pressure was 18-20. The prop did lift the boat nicely as opposed to the Fury, actually felt like it wanted to chine walk a tad at WOT. Think I'm going to drop it back to 3.5 P2P and live with it. The boat is a 96 and may be carrying some water. All this is with just under half tank of fuel, full oil, 10 rods and 8 3700 boxes and some various other tackle. I am carrying 4 batteries and a big ass motorguide TM, two Helix 7's. I also had my 75lb dog in the boat. Maybe I just need to stop chasing numbers. LOVE the boat, it's just in my nature get anything of mine operating at max potential output.

3. Member
    Check your fuel line. It may be collapsed inside causing fuel issue. My Coral 225efi did the same slow speed and i knew it had more in it. I took my fuel line off that goes from the tank to the motor and its was completely collapsed inside. Changd it out with solid rubber fuel line and next trip out is when it ran 73mph
    Last edited by Bryan; 05-15-2017 at 09:05 PM.

4. Member
    Ok thanks, I'll check that out.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Check your fuel line. It may be collapsed inside causing fuel issue. My Coral 225efi did the same slow speed and i knew it had more in it. I took my fuel line off that goes from the tank to the motor and its was completely collapsed inside. Changd it out with solid rubber fuel line and next trip out is when it ran 73mph
    Fuel line looked like it had been replaced at one time. I still replaced it. Ran it last night, no chnage, 63mph tops.

6. Member
    Man something just isn't right about your speeds and rpm you are turning. When you pull you boat out the water is the prop black with soot?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Man something just isn't right about your speeds and rpm you are turning. When you pull you boat out the water is the prop black with soot?
    A little bit. Maybe I need need plugs?? Other issues?? Thanks Bryan!

8. Member
    change your plugs and get someone to check your tpi setting.. it may be running rich

9. Member
    Elevation is a killer when it comes to top end.
    2000 Viper Coral 202/225 Pro Xs
    Ghost, HDS Lives, etc, etc.

10. Member
    Changed my plugs tonight. They were pretty dirty. Will have someone check the tpi settings next week if I can get it in. Fishing this weekend so I'll see if any difference. Thanks again, Bryan.
    Yeah fsh4, I'm only at 2250 elevation.

11. Member
    I keep meaning to do this and I've got halfway through then I get sidetracked. For comparison. Today at 5,700 ASL 16 gallons of gas, average gear for a bass guy, cooler, etc. Trophy plus 23 pitch exhaust ring two solid plugs one medium, 10" Atlas at 4" but not sure of ptp? I'll check. 61.8 on the GPS. Pretty flat water. 3 batteries in the back. I haven't tried a tempest yet. The trophy gives me a great lift with the setback.
    2000 Viper Coral 202/225 Pro Xs
    Ghost, HDS Lives, etc, etc.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    Changed my plugs tonight. They were pretty dirty. Will have someone check the tpi settings next week if I can get it in. Fishing this weekend so I'll see if any difference. Thanks again, Bryan.
    Yeah fsh4, I'm only at 2250 elevation.
    After doing this and running the boat I didn't notice any gains. Motor now wants to high idle for the first few runs then goes back to its normal idle after that which is sorta weird. Lost a main shaft seal in lower unit so replaced that as well as a water pump kit and seals in the shift shaft cap and new lower unit lube. Still trying to get it in to have the tpi setting checked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12