Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    boat is painted,sitting on its own trailer again,and vinyl graphics put on.iam pretty dissapointed in the way the paint turned out.orange peel was so bad i had to cut and buff so the flat/satin finish was lost.ive done a few boats now,but this iwas the first(and last)ive painted.ive got over 20 yrs exp. maching and fabricating,but not paint and it shows.anyway,a few pics of the setup/rigging i used to flip the boat.and the so-so 20ft paint job.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    vinyl wrap,first time working with pieces this big!tore the crap in two places,seamed it back,looks ok.ive had several people see the boat in my shop and their reaction is flattering.my opinion is different ,but i can see every single mistake ive made,drives me NUTS(or more nuts than before?)!used a product called "wrap-cut" to get the shape,neat stuff!finished the edges with 3M pinstripe,same stripe i used on the trailer.if id do it over again,id have a pro do the vinyl as well as the paint.

Looks great! The carbon fiber wrap accent is very cool!!

I know what you mean by knowing where every one of your own mistakes are located. But you need to internalize that stuff, nod your head, and say "Thanks" when people are praising your work. lol

Consider painting or powder-coat your dash screws. I used red Krylon X-metal (Rust-oleum Metal Coat is similar) that ends up looking like an anodized finish if used on bright stainless fasteners. Red or flat black would look good on there!

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=590364

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Consider painting or powder-coat your dash screws. I used red Krylon X-metal (Rust-oleum Metal Coat is similar) that ends up looking like an anodized finish if used on bright stainless fasteners. Red or flat black would look good on there!
    as soon as i got the dash and side panels installed , i was thinking the exact same thing!gonna do something with the shiney fasteners,likley in black!

5. Member
    My Ranger is in about the same shape as that minus a steering wheel. I'm not looking forward to the work. What type of paint did you use?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    What type of paint did you use?
    single stage urethane,Omni.id pay someone else to paint it with awlgrip,if i could do it over!!!the boat looks pretty good considering how much trouble i had with the whole paint process!

7. Member
    Along with the dash layout,there are a few more features of this boat that dont work.one of the things i noticed about this boat was the almost useless rod-lockers!after some measuring and layout,i decided the center storage would be a good place for 11 rods.the org. lockers will work for tackle storage.

8. Member
    gotta get rid of the cheesy glove box trim,looks like a $5 walmart picture frame!

9. Member
    found this one on ebay,no idea what it was for,but the dimensions were exactlly what i needed!covered it in carbon pattern vinyl as well.going to install black caps on the shiney stainless-steel fasteners.

Cool thread. I like the customization of this project, nice to see some originality.

Subscribed!

This is looking great!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

12. Member
    thank you all for the kind words and encouragement.ive been working on this thing for about a year between other projects,and its come a long way,still a ways to go yet.one of my fishing buddies is a flooring/carpet guy and has done oneof my previous boats,he is VERY good at it,so im waiting for him to finish this one up.he has gotten a few lids done,hope to get photos of him putting the floors and deck on soon!

13. Member
    boat is on hold for a few weeks while i get a few others boats done,i did manage to get the seat done.the seat had mildew stains that would not come out,not to mention the the white,black,red pattern did not match the boat anymore and looked a little dated!so i decided to give the Duplicolor vinyl paint a try,it turned out better than i thought it would!i had planned to put buckets and a console in it in the near future,but now the bench seat is kinda growing on me!

Wow, that's painted?! Looks incredible! Did you have to mask off to shoot the piping red? That must have been a tedious task if you did!

15. Member
    thanks!i was quite surprised as well.i did the grey and it knew after the piping needed to be red.it was VERY tedious taping it off and it did bleed over in few spots,but not too bad,a little touch up and you'd never know!

16. Member
    Nice job!!
    Former USAF Gunner B-52H

17. Belleville Lake, Michigan dlaport1's Avatar
    Subscribed also nice job

18. Member
    thanks to all of you for the encouragement and kind words.project is moving very slowly at present due to other obligations that have helped fund this.currently trying to get the carpet finished and the fit/finish for the lids,hinges and rod locker/organizer done.ive also removed the 2.4 200 merc that i had put on it in favor of a promax-spec 2.5,that 2.4 was built for a much lighter boat and would have to regularly turn in the 7000 rpm range to make this big-arse G boat roll,stay tuned,post more soon!

19. Member
    finally got my carpet buddy over on friday to finish up the decks and floor!been on him for a month,im getting sooo close now,lotsa little odd and end crap to finsh,oh yeah,and i gotta build a motor for it too!

20. Member
    In...

Great job, I did the same thing to an old Ranger last year and still working on it......never again..lol
    I'd agree with you , but then we would both be wrong

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast