How to Eliminate Boat Cover Rub

I was sick of my boat cover rubbing on my gel coat, and the vinyl cover leaving marks that i would have to buff out. I started using towels to put around the lip of the cover, but that got tedious. I used a vented car dust cover that was long enough, and draped it over my boat anytime it was parked in the garage to keep the dust off of it. Dawned on me, and works great as it's a super soft fabric to keep the cover from rubbing on the gel. I rarely rarely rarely will tow with my cover on because of the rub, but now I can put the dust cover on, and then the cover over that and know that the soft fabric from the cover is protecting the boat and not rubbing. Still don't use the cover to tow unless it's a very far distance or going to rain pretty hard. Also as an FYI I put thick wool socks over the trolling motor prop to protect both covers.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

2. Member
    Buy a roll of stretch wrap and make a loop around the boat at the rub rail. This eliminates all rub marks like your soft dust cover.

3. Member
    Where can I find the stretch wrap you speak of? Is there a brand name?

4. Member
    Any grocery store or Wally World Saran Wrap

5. Member
    Any grocery store or Wally World Saran Wrap. There is some commercial from a company called U-line. You can find them on the web

6. Scraps
    I get these too and was told the Saran wrap works. But I would have to think the Saran wrap is awfully thin and maybe not the best. You could also try the plastic wrap used for packing, get a spool at a U-Haul. This is the stuff they use to wrap a pallet of boxes to keep them from toppling over.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    Any packaging supply company will have it, probably Lowes or Home Depot also.

8. Banned
    Staples has it... Dan

U-Line on line has stretch wrap. We use it in our business to wrap items being palletized and shipped out. Pretty sturdy stuff!
    "Cast Everything in the Best Light Possible"

10. Member
    FWIW - I don't use the wraps that you have to take on and put off everytime. I can see where the wrap would work better in a long distance travel situation. However for throwing the cover on when the boat is in the driveway/garage, etc - I merely put the car cover on the boat, just like the boat cover. It's larger so it will drape over the side and protect all the rails and sides of the gel.

All I was trying to say!

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

Lowe's or Home Depot
    Old Retarded Jarhead
    Master Sergeant of Marines (Retired)

12. Banned
    Got mine from U haul...

13. Member
    On My boat I Run the 3 or 4in Wide Packing tape, sprayed the boat with windex under the rub rail, ran the tape all the way around, used a credit card to get all air bubbles out, let it dry. has never came off or lifted, i am actually surprised, but it works and you can't hardly tell its there.

LETS FISH IT!!