Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Turn on the heat lamps

Tomorrow I start the fun , long wait for the infra lamps to dry out the transom. Brown streak out of 2 bolt holes and out of the splash well drain tube. Just as the blade bait fishing will be heating up around here too.....

2. Member
    Good luck to you. The two week wait sucks but hopefully it all works out good. My two weeks turned into around 2 - 2 1/2 months. Hoping to finally finish it up and get it on the water tomorrow.

3. Banned
    Yep, hopefully you caught it in time. Keep us posted on how it goes.

4. Banned
    Here's wishing you all the luck in the world... Fingers crossed... Dan

5. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Best wishes!!

6. Member
    Ok took an extra day, but the lamps are drawing power. One inside and one outside. The JP bottom holes had seepage as well as the splash well drain tube hole. When I took out the screw for the temp sensor, water dribbled out of it. Good part is there is no soft wood. Just damp wood. Weirdest thing I noticed is under the angle chrome trim on top of the splash well backside. The transom wood is exposed at the edge. No factory sealant on it. Weird. Might put some on when when i put it back together. Not sure if it is supposed to have it or not.

I would put up pictures, but every time try and every program I use. It just doesn't work. SO if someone is willing to I can email them to you . It would be helpful for me to answer that splash well question.

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Polock View Post
    I would put up pictures, but every time try and every program I use. It just doesn't work. SO if someone is willing to I can email them to you . It would be helpful for me to answer that splash well question.
    PM sent

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Not to Hijack, but not all have the woes or should I say that the lamp trick works. I did mine a few years ago after I found a minor brown streak coming from one of the transducer holes. So I did the entire transom reseal. Saturday I pulled the screws out from a transducer cable clamp to get ready to install a new transducer. The holes have been open for three days and no brown ooze from any of the holes. Hap, hap, happy boy!

Depending on what camera I use to take pics, if they won't upload directly from my laptop I resize them a bit smaller and they upload fine.
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

10. Banned
    No sealant under the chrome trim? Not a surprise to me, I drained 6 gallons out of my hull from water intrusion. Also it's true that the heat lights will only work if your transom isn't too wet.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Ok took an extra day, but the lamps are drawing power. One inside and one outside. The JP bottom holes had seepage as well as the splash well drain tube hole. When I took out the screw for the temp sensor, water dribbled out of it. Good part is there is no soft wood. Just damp wood. Weirdest thing I noticed is under the angle chrome trim on top of the splash well backside. The transom wood is exposed at the edge. No factory sealant on it. Weird. Might put some on when when i put it back together. Not sure if it is supposed to have it or not.

Just go to Lowe's and buy a moisture meter and see what it says.

12. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar

13. Banned
    You gonna pull the tie downs too?

14. Member
    Curios what year champ?

15. Member
    Yes Grout. I have to yank out the through hull fittings to.

It is a '86 168 dac. Had the hull re gel coated a year ago. It had some blisters under the bunks.

16. Member
    Thanks TC. It has to be something I'm doing wrong concerning the pictures.

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Thanks TC. It has to be something I'm doing wrong concerning the pictures.
    If you resize them to 800X600 you should have no trouble uploading them from your PC.

18. Member
    Well a short 2 day update.

The only hole that had actual water coming out of it when I pulled stuff was the screw hole for the temp sensor way at the bottom edge of the transom and it was clear water. After 2 days. It has stopped dripping. Must be a plus I'm thinking.

You should take some moisture meter readings and continue to check your progress and then you should be able to be sure it all dries. Make sure you use equipment designed to test for interior moisture content. Or you can just leave the heat lamps on for a minimum of 6 weeks with water at the bottom.

Some relief holes strategically placed interior transom will give you a sound plan for doing the job right.
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

20. Member
    I'm going to pick up a moisture meter at lowe's or menards in about 2 weeks and give it a test. I don't really want to drill into the transom anywhere to be honest.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast