Schooling Largemouth on Clarks Hill

First time poster here! I grew up on the water and have fished my whole life. I have started to enjoy it more recently and have been spending most of my free time fishing. I fished Clarks Hill yesterday and there were largemouth schooling everywhere but couldn't get them to bite anything I threw at them (Sammy, Fluke, Floating Worm, and more). After realizing that these fish were not going to bite I moved to main water points and caught a few on Carolina Rig. Does anyone now what the deal is with these fish?

2. Member
    80% of the time they will kill a topwater. But 20% of the time they won't hit the surface. Jerkbaits and double willow spinnerbaits worked fast will usually get them when they are like this. Or a C-rig mag II or ole monster worm.
    You have to work your topwaters very fast, or they will just follow a while and turn away. Work a fluke so fast it is skipping the surface, the stop it and repeat. I usually rip mine 10' at a time.

3. Member
    Thank you! I appreciate the information!

A double fluke or donkey rig has caught me more than anything else when they wont hit other baits.. chunk it into the are where they are busting and reel it as fast as you can for about 10 turns then pause... repeat back to boat.. they will try and take it away from you. I love that lake

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Sure they weren't stripers?

6. Member
    Down size your baits.

7. Member
    Work a topwater as fast as you can...then go faster.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

8. Member
    Trippa864, to get the picture, they are chasing herring. Herring are a very fast baitfish that heads toward the surface when being chased, often skipping out of the water. You are trying to imitate a fleeing herring. You can't work a topwater too fast. And don't worry if it means you can't walk a bait properly, it's the speed and reaction bass make that count.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Sure they weren't stripers?
    That would be my guess too. I know its not unheard of but it might be a little early for large mouth bass to be schooling all over the lake.

10. Member
    I thought they were stripers due to the fact I couldn't get them to bite. But after seeing multiple largemouth jumping clean out of the water, I assumed that most of the schools were largemouth. I went back yesterday and wore them out burning a spinner bait near the top of the water. Get out there as soon as you can especially if you have a son or daughter. Its easy fishing. Hopefully this cool front doesn't mess them up too much. Thank you guys again for the info!! Its nice to get some feedback. Sometimes fisherman aren't so eager give tips out lol

Awesome. I need to learn to expect the unexpected.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippa864 View Post
    I thought they were stripers due to the fact I couldn't get them to bite. But after seeing multiple largemouth jumping clean out of the water, I assumed that most of the schools were largemouth. I went back yesterday and wore them out burning a spinner bait near the top of the water. Get out there as soon as you can especially if you have a son or daughter. Its easy fishing. Hopefully this cool front doesn't mess them up too much. Thank you guys again for the info!! Its nice to get some feedback. Sometimes fisherman aren't so eager give tips out lol
    At my age, 64, I'm willing to help anyone. This is a feast or famine lake for me, but I usually do pretty well. I usually get over 16 or under 10 lbs. LOL
    My last 2 tournaments there, and 2nd and 1st. (I go by my middle name Terry)
    http://fomntt.com/results.cfm?schid=4855
    http://fomntt.com/results.cfm?schid=5077 This shows day 1, Can't find the totals but we won the 2 day by 5+ lbs.

Some days they are feeding but just won't hit on top.

I want to add that sometimes they are feeding and there will be zero surfacing or chasing activity. On these days you still point hop with none surface baits until you find them.

That lake is one of my favorites as well! I love it when the herring chasing gets started after the spawn. The Hill and Murray are my two favorites. Hartwell has had a sharp decline in the topwater fishing over the years.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

Do the Herring spawn all over the lake or is it better near the lower end?

15. Member
    Lower end. They like big water. Up the creeks and rivers it's still a shad lake.

16. Member
    Must be the full moon pushing them, BFL is there on the 22d. Maybe they will have a good Tx.