Now, another problem...

Well, after getting her running (see last thread about polaris techs) I noticed oil dripping from the stator cover. Gasket must have gotten pinched. So I replaced the fiber gasket with 'form a gasket' put the cover back on and parked it (been too cold to ride). Never did start it after new gasket. That was a month ago. Went to start it yesterday to clean out the garage and "click". The starter clicked once every time I would turn the key. I put the battery on the charger thinking it might have drained but didn't help. Still one click and won't turn over. Could I have gotten the starter gear in crooked or is my engine locked up? I hate taking that cover off but I might have to again. Any suggestions appreciated.
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

2. Member
    If you are hearing a click, then I would say that is the starter solenoid. You might have a flat spot in the starter. Try tapping it and see if that works. If tapping it works get a rebuild kit for the starter, about $40 and rebuild it. You might have the bendex gear miss aligned also that has the starter jammed up. That would also give you just a click.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

3. Member
    Took the stator cover off and nothing seemed odd. Took the starter to flywheel gear out and hit the key. Starter functioned normally. Put it back together and will try again today after gasket has cured. Do you know where the starter solenoid is located?

4. Member
    They are located close to the battery. Follow the positive wire off the battery to it. I believe that wire is only like 12" long.

5. Member
    Replaced starter solenoid and same problem. One click and the ground wire jumps about a half inch when the click occurs. Also the starter spins when turning the key with the gear between the starter and flywheel removed.

6. Member
    if it was mine I would trade it in

7. Member
    Removed starter...full of oil...This is amazing, new starter from polaris $425.00...not gonna happen!

8. Member
    I was all set to buy a Polaris 570 sportsman, read too many negative reviews to buy, apparently they aren't the same quality as years ago.

Now plan to buy a Yamaha Grizzly 700, for my hunting quad.

9. Member
    Pull starter apart and clean it. Just be aware on the brush end there are some thin spacer washers. Really easy to do.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Much better choice. I have a customer with one that has over 7,500 miles on it. All I have done to it is oil changes and tires.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    I was all set to buy a Polaris 570 sportsman, read too many negative reviews to buy, apparently they aren't the same quality as years ago.

It's your choice but I have two Polaris quads..1 a 570 with around 2k miles on it with no issues...My 500 sportsman is probably over 3k by now....Both have been ridden all over the country without a hiccup...You'll get the same argument and claims with ATVs that you do with Bass Boats, Trucks, Outboards etc...
    I'm far from a "Brand" guy and have raced and ridden every major brand of dirt bike..They were all good if maintained....I can't say that I have owned every ATV but Polaris has been good to me and I am sure it is the same deal....Stay on top of maintenance and they will bring you home at the end of the day...

Sawguy, have you looked at Aftermarket starters?? I rarely buy OEM of any brand...http://www.psep.biz/store/polaris_at...ter_motors.htm
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 04-23-2017 at 02:06 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    It's your choice but I have two Polaris quads..1 a 570 with around 2k miles on it with no issues...My 500 sportsman is probably over 3k by now....Both have been ridden all over the country without a hiccup...You'll get the same argument and claims with ATVs that you do with Bass Boats, Trucks, Outboards etc...
    I'm far from a "Brand" guy and have raced and ridden every major brand of dirt bike..They were all good if maintained....I can't say that I have owned every ATV but Polaris has been good to me and I am sure it is the same deal....Stay on top of maintenance and they will bring you home at the end of the day...

Sawguy, have you looked at Aftermarket starters?? I rarely buy OEM of any brand...http://www.psep.biz/store/polaris_at...ter_motors.htm
    Yes, I found one on ebay , installed it and same problem. One click and nothing.I turned the headlights on and when I turn the key they dim way down.

13. Member
    I think I 'may' have found my problem. On another forum site, a person replied to my situation. A friend of his removed his stator cover, replaced it with 'form a gasket' instead of factory fiber gasket and noticed his starter turning very slowly. The end of the starter shaft was rubbing against the stator cover because of the decreased thickness of the gasket material. This makes sense to me because the only thing I did was remove the cover and inspect inside then I replaced the cover with 'form a gasket' instead of factory gasket. I didn't realize the tolerances could be that tight. I ordered a gasket...we'll find out.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sawguy View Post
    I think I 'may' have found my problem. On another forum site, a person replied to my situation. A friend of his removed his stator cover, replaced it with 'form a gasket' instead of factory fiber gasket and noticed his starter turning very slowly. The end of the starter shaft was rubbing against the stator cover because of the decreased thickness of the gasket material. This makes sense to me because the only thing I did was remove the cover and inspect inside then I replaced the cover with 'form a gasket' instead of factory gasket. I didn't realize the tolerances could be that tight. I ordered a gasket...we'll find out.
    Forums rock...There are a ton of guys out there with alot of experience....Having the internet in my hand all the time by phone has saved me alot of money...Just recently when I changed my battery in my Ford Fusion and it wouldn't run above idle...Quick search with my phone and I had the procedure for resetting the Throttle control module...I was on my way in less than 5 minutes...

15. Member
    The factory gasket fixed the problem. I can't believe a 1/32" thick gasket would cause the starter to lock up, but it did.