Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    South of Baton Rouge but North of Plaquemine, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by TB21 View Post
    And the Verado doesn't make oil or beat out main bearings>
    I had a 2012 Xpress X19 with a first gen (2010) 200 SHO that I drove up to 180ish hours. Never made oil or had engine issues. Guy I sold it to before I bought my XB2003 now has it flashed and still no issues to date, other than slinging prop blades. I'm not sure on the total hours now.
    I would take the have the SHO on my XB20003 before the 225 Pro Max that's on it now without even having to think about it. And it will have a SHO, just not ready to make the swap yet.

2. Member
    I had a SHO that was broken in exactly by the book. I had a rising oil level from day one. It was still doing this past 20 hours. I was told I wasn't running it hard enough and if I took it for a long hard run it would fix it. I ran it one day nearly 80 miles flat out and it was better. It blew up at 52 hours. Yamaha and my local dealer got me back on the water very quickly. This time I broke it in like I stole it. Sold it 160 hours. Its interesting to 200 seems to be less likely to have this rising oil level. The fact is all 4 strokes do it even the one in your car or truck.

3. RIP -April 30,2023
    i was told that there was a thermostat problems with the earlier ones. too cold of a stat and rings would never seat because of this.

4. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I've owned 4 SHO's and all are still running to my knowledge. An engineer from Yamaha told me the same thing.....run it like you stole. When I broke them all in, I never trimmed the engine up and kept it under a hard load for 5 hours. You have to get these engines hot.

5. Member
    Mine was broke in on Hydro-Tec's dyno under the watchful eyes of their local Yamaha rep since it was the first SHO dyno'd in the US. Then ran up to 7000 rpm's for maximum hp and torque readings. No issues so far........
    Gasoline saturated oil was probably the demise of many SHO engines....

I wonder how the supercharger will do as far as fuel blow-by? Will it provide enough heat to properly seat the rings or will it flood the oil will fuel every time out? That's a question I would like to see answered.

6. Member
    I think you are right about the failure of SHOs due to excessive fuel in the oil. I watched this very close when I had mine. I would see guys post that their engine never had a rising oil level problem but if you paid attention you could read later that the same guy would post that he had never had the good off his SHO. YEP if you never checked it you probably never had a rising oil level problem. Ignorance is bliss. The thing was also the very things that dealers were telling people to do was adding to the problem. If you load down that engine by trimming down and loading the engine it's fuel system logic says heavy load add more fuel and so you added to the problem by doing so. On the supercharged engine there has to be some programming changes to deal with the boost you have to add more fuel when you add boost. So your right it will be interesting to see how they deal with that.

7. RIP -April 30,2023
    hydro tec is the ones that told me about the thermostats being too low a temp. yamaha has since changed that. there is always bugs that needs to be worked out on something new.

8. Member
    Steve I was never unhappy with my SHO even though it did blow up. You are right I won't be satisfied with my current engine or a 400r because fast is never fast enough. Like I said before. When the experts tell you to get that engine off of there maybe you should listen. If I had a stack of 1000 dollar bills as high as yours hell yes I have that blower on my SHO who cares how long it will last you can just kick it off there and bolt on another one.

9. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Its amazing how people have different results with these engines.

Me every time I click this thread...... (obviously sub the mustang with a boosted SHO)

2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

11. Banned
    I'm guessing there using the 1300 rotors ,blower would be good around 550 or so..

12. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by motosportdad View Post
    I'm guessing there using the 1300 rotors ,blower would be good around 550 or so..
    Eaton TVS1900 rotor....

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

So, they have been around for awhile now. I would assume someone that has one on their Ally, Bullet or Stoker. Has run one on the big end to see what it would do?

14. Banned
    I'm surprised Bret hasn't put one on the fast cat lol.

15. Banned
    If they get 700 out of it is be shocked but if they do I bet Tho.as at Hendrix-Engineering could get 800 lol

16. Member
    If they get 700 out of it is be shocked but if they do I bet Tho.as at Hendrix-Engineering could get 800 lol
    Talking about yourself in the third person nowadays

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scj View Post
    Talking about yourself in the third person nowadays
    Think your confused,I'll be at the rally I'll come introduce myself

18. Member
    Think your confused,I'll be at the rally I'll come introduce myself
    Looking forward to it.

19. Member
    Yep...

Just waiting on the XB23 to hang it on.