Thread: Rain Gear Rant

Rain Gear Rant

So, I'm looking for a new rain suit. I don't need one to protect me from really foul weather because I no longer stay out or go out in that real nasty stuff - and those rain suits are too pricey for me now. So, I'm looking at Frogg Toggs and to pick a rain outfit that leaves room for a layer or two ... I'd have to be 6' 3" to keep from walking on the bottoms. The large and XL bibs are for the very tall and are rated from 5' 8" to 6' 6" or something like that. How can those fit the average stocky man? Pudgy guy? 5'9" 230... How does a set of bibs fit a guy 5'8" AND a guy 6'3"? It does not. Also, there is a huge trend for black rain suits. I'm thinking ... if I fell in ... is black the best color to be wearing?

I'd like something that could fit over coveralls but not be super loose without the coveralls ... still looking.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

2. Banned
    I've had FroggToggs in the past and they were not even close to waterproof, and forget it in a heavy rain. I had some Field and Stream from Dicks which werent half bad and better than the Frogg Toggs. If you can wait, Cabelas puts their Guidewear rain gear on sale every fall for up to 50% off. They've done this for at least the last 4 years

I am not a fan of Frog Toggs at all.

I have a somewhat different philosophy on rain gear. I bought good quality rain gear ($$) because I wear it often. I wanted gear that wouldn't be uncomfortable to wear that I would wear all day when there was a threat of rain. Just this past week I fished 3 full days and wore rain gear 2 of the 3 days. Plus, if I get a little cold on the water I will put it on. While this isn't answering your question, I bought a North Face rain jacket and I have separate Columbia rain pants. This is what I wear in warm weather. In cold weather I have Cabela's Guidewear which is fantastic.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

4. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    When I fished Lake Fork wand brought my father years ago, he bought some Frog Toggs and they didn't do a good job. If I remember correctly they ripped fairly quickly. I would hope that they have gotten better over the years but from reading about them, the reports are not good. I have a set of guide gear from Cabela's and they have been wonderful.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

5. Member
    I can't comment on the Frog Toggs other than saying a guy in my local club just gave away some of his Frog Togg gear for free. I have Cabela's Guidewear and have had no complaints.
    2017 Nitro Z21
    2017 250 Pro XS T2 (SN 2B401909)
    Bravo 1XS 26P
    BMS 12" Action Jack
    Ultrex 112# - Solix 12 - 12' Talons

Club: lunkersunlimited.net

6. Member
    My biggest advice for rain gear is don't go cheap. You get exactly what you pay for. Spend a little more than you originally plan to get a good set.

7. Member
    I am your size nearly to a T. I have Frabil bibs and H2O jacket. Bibs have to be cinched up to just below tits, but I do not step on them. Coat is xl and has room for some warmer clothes if needed. Forget wearing coat in summer time. You may want to go to Academy if there is one close.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

8. Member
    See Frabils at the Plano outlet pretty often.
    Please release me,let me go.

9. Member
    Everyone on here seems to have the same idea. I agree with a few of you also in that you get what you paid for. I paid about $450 for my BPS Pro Qualifier suit and that lasted me about 8 years. It's still serving as my backup, but in heavy rains it gets just a touch damp. The new gear seems to be phenomenal, and a price tag to match.... I went out on a limb and am trying the Huk suit (not the crazy all-weather, but the Kryptic). So far it's just fine, but no heavy rains to gauge yet. I do like the thinness of the material as it cuts the wind completely and keeps me mobile. I personally believe in paying a little more for fowl weather gear. Crap stuff could absolutely ruin a day, weekend, or trip. I'd consider any of the BPS suits (PQ, 100mph), Simms, Cabela's, Carhartt, and Frabil just to name a few.

I settled on the Bass Pro Bone Dry .... much more than I set out to spend but it's a decent rain suit and I'll look good, too.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooksetter5 View Post
    I settled on the Bass Pro Bone Dry .... much more than I set out to spend but it's a decent rain suit and I'll look good, too.
    Everything of any quality seems to cost more than I think it should, let us know how they work out in a rain. Those had good reviews and a reasonable price.

I bought Frabil F1 set for 69.00 from fieldsupply.com. nice light weight and good fit. not bibs, but pants have removable suspenders. summer is too hot for my Cabelas.

13. Banned
    I've never regretted the money I spent for my 100MPH gear, nothing is as miserable as fishing in cold wet weather with a leaking rainsuit.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Wayne View Post
    I've never regretted the money I spent for my 100MPH gear, nothing is as miserable as fishing in cold wet weather with a leaking rainsuit.
    AMEN brother!
    2012 Z521, Yamaha 250 SHO
    SOLD-1998 Ranger 519DVS, Mercury 225 EFI
    Semper Fi