Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Banned
    I'm going to have to assume that this is some kind of a hoax perpetrated by some boat owners to get another owner to look like a fool with balls jammed in the back of his jack plate. This thread had at least 3 requests for a picture of this that were completely ignored. When I see something like that happen, my spidey sense starts telling me there's a prank afoot.

2. Member
    No prank. I don't know how to post photos.
    If you will PM me your phone number, I will take a photo with my phone and send it to you. You can post it if you want to , or just let it satisfy your curiosity.
    Last edited by John Jackson; 04-20-2017 at 06:24 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo_stiglitz View Post
    I'm going to have to assume that this is some kind of a hoax perpetrated by some boat owners to get another owner to look like a fool with balls jammed in the back of his jack plate. This thread had at least 3 requests for a picture of this that were completely ignored. When I see something like that happen, my spidey sense starts telling me there's a prank afoot.
    the problem is it comes up so often it's just gotten tiresome. I've posted photos of mine. I won't own a boat that doesn't have a giant kids ball in the jackplate.

The jack monkeys doing the "math" and "physics" leave out some important parts of the equation. It's just not worth the time to argue with people about it.

For 3.00 and less than ten minutes of your time you can test the effects on your own boat.

It was a dramatic difference on my bullet, it sat way to high in the front and too low in the back before now it's a lot better.

4. Member
    I've never tried this but lots of people must believe in it. I see boats all the time with various balls and other floating devices crammed into their back plate area.

5. Member
    its the placeboato effect.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astyle954 View Post
    its the placeboato effect.
    No it isn't, all hulls won't react the same way but on my boat I went from wanting to sell it the first time I fished out of it to being happy with it. It made a DRASTIC difference, so unless you have tried it please don't discourage others who might be having issues that this would make their boating experience much better.

7. Member

Here we go again. This topic always shows its ugly head every now and then.

Just stand on the front of the boat and the back sits higher. Common sense.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=Basket+balls
    For yall's viewing pleasure...sorry not the right one but it does have some math on the last page.
    Last edited by cwilt; 05-09-2017 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Add link cause there were alot to weed through
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

9. Member
    I believe I'll get a dozen or so basketballs and put them in all my compartments and take it to the coast. I should be able to run in 4" of water.

10. Member
    I had a jav 400 with 14 inches of setback and a 225 rude hanging off it I filled the jackplate with high density waterproof foam cut it to fit made a bottom and top plate and I gained about 1 1/2 inches when sittin still and had zero back wash and with a heavy partner on the back deck made a big difference
    2015 X19 200 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Astyle954 View Post
    I believe I'll get a dozen or so basketballs and put them in all my compartments and take it to the coast. I should be able to run in 4" of water.
    Putting balls in the compartments doesnt increase displacement. Putting them in the cavity that was holding water, and now wont, does increase displacement.

Like 90 5.0 said, it works, better on some hulls than others. I have them on my BassCat, it only helps by about an inch or less, but still worth it

Bottom line, for as cheap as it is just try it. If you arent happy with the results give the playground balls to the local kids... win-win, or at least you cant "lose"
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123