Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jack plate inflatables

Ok, I have read on a few posts about adding inflatables like basket ball in the space between the boat hull and rear plate of the jack plate, who has done something like this, what will it actually do for a 21' bass boat with a 250 hp hanging off the back? For anyone that has done this do you really see a noticeable differance in performance and the way the boat sits in the water?

2. Member

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Inflatable? interesting. Like to see a pic of that. - What are the metal plates called that go there? Id like to get one. see photo of what im looing for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

4. Member
    I have a Bob's jack plate and mine has the bottom plate on it when I got it, mine is just a flat place with 90 degree bends on the end to fill in that space on the bottom of the plate. Yes I have read about inflatables in that space, some have actually talked about basket balls in there?

5. Member
    Everyone has their own opinion on this, I prefer the large cheap kids balls at Wally World, they are about 3.00. They will deflate very easily and conform to any space shape you have unlike basket balls and other stuff.

Turn it so the nipple is in an easy to get to spot for your air pump and inflate.

My boat sits flatter at rest with it, makes it more stable to fish from, floats slightly shallower do to a flatter angle, has less backwash on shut down etc etc etc.

all boats are are different but I've never owned a boat that did not see improvements from it

6. Member
    Some guys are claiming as much as an inch less draft with the balls in the plate. There was another well educated gentleman on here that did the math on it and concluded that it couldn't possibly make a noticeable difference. IDK,try it and see.

7. Member
    What kind of plate are you running? You could probably just buy one of those swimming noodles from Wally world and cut it in pieces and stuff in there but I don't think it will work in a hydraulic plate.

I do the big cheap kick ball....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Member
    SOMEBODY PLEASE POST A PICTURE OF THIS. VERY INTERESTING
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    I do the big cheap kick ball....
    Exactly!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Some guys are claiming as much as an inch less draft with the balls in the plate. There was another well educated gentleman on here that did the math on it and concluded that it couldn't possibly make a noticeable difference. IDK,try it and see.
    His math was wrong for a number of reasons, but math regardless it was VERY easy to see a noticable difference on my boat, ymmv

12. Member
    I have 4 small kickballs in my 10" slidemaster on a Stratos 201xl/250 hpdi. I put them in there to reduce backwash. Some days it seems like it floats a little higher, not really enough to make a difference I don't think as far as that goes. It did however help with backwash, so that's worth it to me. Also eliminates the water weight in the jackplate good during holeshot, so it can't hurt.

13. Member
    If you really want to see how much it might or might not help tie an eight inch cement block to a bag holding the cheap plastic ball and see if it floats. The block weighs 28 lbs so if it won't float the block it won't be much help.

14. Banned
    The guy that did the math is an engineer and took the time to figure out the exact weight that a basketball could hold up, it's not that much and although guys claim it floats their boats higher, it's not really physically possible. But with that said, that guy got banned for being right and I'm not going to argue like he did.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    The guy that did the math is an engineer and took the time to figure out the exact weight that a basketball could hold up, it's not that much and although guys claim it floats their boats higher, it's not really physically possible. But with that said, that guy got banned for being right and I'm not going to argue like he did.
    They guys math was wrong because he was calculating the wrong thing. The center of buoyancy is being mover to the rear, rocking the boat forward. It rocks the rear up and inch or so but also drops the nose. I'm also an engineer, but being an engineer doesn't give you common sense.
    They do work. The balls also greatly reduces the amount of water that gets scooped up coming off plane and thrown onto the back deck.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba201proxl View Post
    SOMEBODY PLEASE POST A PICTURE OF THIS. VERY INTERESTING
    Exactly and the name flat plates.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    They guys math was wrong because he was calculating the wrong thing. The center of buoyancy is being mover to the rear, rocking the boat forward. It rocks the rear up and inch or so but also drops the nose. I'm also an engineer, but being an engineer doesn't give you common sense.
    They do work. The balls also greatly reduces the amount of water that gets scooped up coming off plane and thrown onto the back deck.

But we're talking about the ability of the ball to lift (I'm not an engineer) about 30 pounds? Would this work on heavier boats too or just the feather weights? I have a Champ that sits ass low, as all Champs do and I'd be interested in trying this if it works on heavier boats too. Your thoughts? Would the biggest ball you could stuff into the hole be the best or do the smaller ones work as well?

18. Member
    Don't know without trying, but I use 4 kids basketballs in my 14" jackplate.

19. Banned
    I forgot I had a bolt down the middle of mine, I'd have to try the small inflatables.

20. Member
    BOW4UM it's a hole shot plate to keep the plate from grabbing water while your taking off. Some boats need them some don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast