Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    They guys math was wrong because he was calculating the wrong thing. The center of buoyancy is being mover to the rear, rocking the boat forward. It rocks the rear up and inch or so but also drops the nose. I'm also an engineer, but being an engineer doesn't give you common sense.
    They do work. The balls also greatly reduces the amount of water that gets scooped up coming off plane and thrown onto the back deck.
    Exactly,

grout it only takes you 3.00 and 5 minutes to find out.

Walk into to any Wally World on the planet, grab one of the big kids balls, deflate. Stuff it in your jack plate and reinflate.

2. Member
    I am running a 14" rapid jack with top and bottom hole shot plates. I also have it stuffed with 4 small basketballs, I can't really tell any difference in flotation.

The reason for the basketball is exactly what John stated it is to displace the water from the void in the jackplate area to help key word "help" with the hole shot.

1997 Procraft 200 Super Pro
    JSRE 2.5 Merc

3. Banned
    Would be sweet if there was a way to jam a block of foam in there, that would have to give some lift.

4. Member
    I'm sure you could, just have to trim it fit as you go.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Would be sweet if there was a way to jam a block of foam in there, that would have to give some lift.
    Line the inside of the jackplate with a big trash bag, spray a closed cell foam in it then trim. Put your top and bottom plate in and you're done...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    I can't possibly see foam working better than a giant kids ball.

And it's easier to do, some people always trying to roller skate up hill

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    BOW4UM it's a hole shot plate to keep the plate from grabbing water while your taking off. Some boats need them some don't.
    Thank you mdtritn21! Do you know where I can get one?
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

8. Member
    BOW4UM - You didn't say what brand jackplate you have. If it's a Slidemaster, contact Carol at C&O Marine.
    http://www.teamcandomarine.com/eshop...ccessories.htm

I jammed four Dollar store inflatable balls in my JP, they were cheap and easy to install. These ones had cartoon characters on them that face up when installed with the air valve easy to get to... get a lot of questions from co-anglers hahaha

Seem to hold the rear up a bit higher but not a huge difference, these are small balls, I need to get 1 or 2 larger playground balls to try. What I do like is less water coming thru the JP on setdown and reversing, and Im sure it helps on holeshot too.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

10. Member
    This trick is nothing new in the ATV mud bogging world. I have seen people put basketballs in the front frame where ever they could get them and inflate. Makes the front end buoyant and not plow the front end. More efficient and quicker going through a pit. Been a long time though.............................
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

11. Member
    Hey grout-scout just keep your live wells empty and that boat will float higher.

12. Member
    harry's what kind of Bob's plate do you have manual or hydraulic?

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Hey grout-scout just keep your live wells empty and that boat will float higher.
    They stay empty because I can't catch fish. The only reason I'm interested in it because one of the lakes I fish has 2' waves on a pretty regular basis, they like to crash over the back of the boat when drifting with the wind. If this really does give a little lift then it might help. Although I think lithium batteries would help more; but cha-ching $$$$.

14. Member
    I have a hydraulic jack plate, why

15. Member
    If your thinking about putting anything in a hydraulic plate you better look at it move up and down before you stick anything in there.

16. Member
    Yes, I was thinking about that as I was reading all these posts. My boat is in getting a new engine put on so I don't have it at home yet to check out but will be looking at just that as soon as I get it back.

I forgot I had a bolt down the middle of mine, I'd have to try the small inflatables.
    Some guys use the inflatable dock bumpers to avoid that bolt in the middle

The physics law of Archimedes Principle applies to every object that floats. A basketball will not lift the back of a bass boat any negligible amount. It will only provide a lifting force equal to amount of water displaced.

19. Member
    That's why I said tie a cement block to a 10" one and see if it floats it.

20. Member
    I have a holeshot plate on my 10" slidemaster plate, purchased from Carol at C&O Marine, I think that it did help with my holeshot, not drastically by any means but quicker. Can't say that it made my backwash onto the deck better or worse. What the holeshot plate is good at is collecting leaves in my yard and collecting mud anytime I get in muddy, shallow water. If the balls actually do lessen the backwash I'm going to get some.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast