Thread: Cull Tags?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I like the idea of puncture free tags that actually stay on but $50 is too much for some plastic tags. For me it is anyway.

2. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Why are these needed? The big clips on the other cull tags can be used by sliding the long pin in from the back of the lower jaw along the gill plate (not through the gills!) and out the mouth. It does not puncture anything and I've never had a fish even remotely affected by it.
    Exactly! Might be a little tight on a big bass, but if she's that big she doesn't need a culling tag.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Quote Originally Posted by waco oso View Post
    It would be a great marketing idea if they gave out a free set to all the guys in the classic or elites, a couple of the guys I marshalled for last year had really old culling tags, some old rusty metal ones, maybe is a superstition thing but I would think these guys would have had the latest and greatest equip.
    They did this year apparently th marine handed some out.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

4. Member
    Th marine has a new cull system that doesn't puncture fish, similar to cal coast system!

2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDD22 View Post
    I bet Scott doesn't lay down on the deck, reach over, and gently release his fish back into the water. He probably just stands there and tosses em over. Well, the ones he doesn't fillet anyway.
    Scott's just a bad man.
    I toss them on ice, no culling here! I get my 6 and then it's on to some other species. I take that back, I'll cull if the smallmouth are biting, I'll cull a largemouth for a smallmouth any day as they taste so much better than largemouth.

But if in a tournament, those binder clips are all you need, after all you're just marking them so you know which is which...baffles me how guys use cull tags as a handle to pick their fish up, you should still lip them if you're worrying about the precious

7. Fishing is a Passion
    Shane Lehew was using the TH Marine at the last tournament. Contacted his web page and was told that it is a prototype and that FLW will require this next year. No puncture allowed.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    Shane Lehew was using the TH Marine at the last tournament. Contacted his web page and was told that it is a prototype and that FLW will require this next year. No puncture allowed.
    I really think banning puncturing culling tags is ridiculous. If you place the culling pin the in correct location (right up behind the bottom jaw where it comes to a point) you can't even tell the clip was ever there. It's the people who stick it anywhere in the bottom jaw that rip big holes in the fish.

And the argument that those big holes inhibit the fish's ability to feed correctly is bogus to me. If you've ever caught a fish that had a hole from an IMPROPERLY placed culling tag, then you've just proved the feeding theory wrong. It obviously created enough suction to pick your bait up.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    I really think banning puncturing culling tags is ridiculous. If you place the culling pin the in correct location (right up behind the bottom jaw where it comes to a point) you can't even tell the clip was ever there. It's the people who stick it anywhere in the bottom jaw that rip big holes in the fish.

And the argument that those big holes inhibit the fish's ability to feed correctly is bogus to me. If you've ever caught a fish that had a hole from an IMPROPERLY placed culling tag, then you've just proved the feeding theory wrong. It obviously created enough suction to pick your bait up.
    I'll try not to argue to much, but I will say this. I've been using the Glory Bag Culling System almost a year, and I can say they do make a difference. This has probably been covered in the past so I'll try not to rehash to much. The cull tags that do poke holes in the fish's mouths do cause damage to the fish, period. I'm not sure for how long, but it's damage. The Glory Bag system was designed to help keep the fish subdued and unharmed while being kept in the live well, and they do just that. There has been several testimonials from Pro anglers and it's worth checking out, but for me the proof is in my own test. The fish are protected, they also seem to be less active and resting in the live well, so they are less stressed. If you are concerned about the well being of your fish? you owe it to yourself, to at least look at the Glory Bag System. It really is a difference maker in my opinion.

10. Moderator
    I ran a big circuit the last couple years and I was the one who bumped and weighed fish. Can't tell you how many I picked up to lip and my thumb would go through the small cull tag hole. No more of that BS. Clips for me and my guys..

11. Member
    The Cal coast tags are the best I've used. No rust, stay on, and has floats so you can get fish out easy.

12. Member
    Testimonial! Last year using Glory Bags, I've seen fish caught deep, hooked deep & bleeding, stressed, and hauled all day long, survive because I firmly believe they were kept in the Glory Bags, what they do is protect the fish like no other culling system. They keep the fish upright if caught deep, they keep the fish protected and subdued so they are under less stress, and they are easy to use with very little handling of the fish if any after they are caught. I took a friend fishing to show him the benefits and he was amazed we anglers go to such extremes to keep our fish alive. I told him the Large mouth bass was a prized fish and should be treated as one, after our outing he agreed, and said it was truly an eye opener. I bought a set of Glory Bags and will continue to use them as long as I'm a Bass Angler, simply because I believe it's the best system I've found to protect the fish.

We fish Ky. lake a lot and it's a perfect situation for the need to keep our prized bass alive, check them out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SoInbassman View Post
    I'll try not to argue to much, but I will say this. I've been using the Glory Bag Culling System almost a year, and I can say they do make a difference. This has probably been covered in the past so I'll try not to rehash to much. The cull tags that do poke holes in the fish's mouths do cause damage to the fish, period. I'm not sure for how long, but it's damage. The Glory Bag system was designed to help keep the fish subdued and unharmed while being kept in the live well, and they do just that. There has been several testimonials from Pro anglers and it's worth checking out, but for me the proof is in my own test. The fish are protected, they also seem to be less active and resting in the live well, so they are less stressed. If you are concerned about the well being of your fish? you owe it to yourself, to at least look at the Glory Bag System. It really is a difference maker in my opinion.
    How do you get 5 bags with 3 ponders in your livewell? I couldn't hardly cram them in my skeeter livewell.

any one ever use the zoro baits tail culling system? http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Zorro...page-ZBTC.html

I fish a lot and on lakes that have a ton of tournaments and have never not many fish at all that had damage from culling tags. Did not realize this was an epidemic that needed banned.

16. Member
    I bought a set of these at the Classic, and they look like an excellent alternative. Clips should stay in place.

Quote Originally Posted by bamacat06 View Post
    any one ever use the zoro baits tail culling system? http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Zorro...page-ZBTC.html
    Yes I have them. I thought they were a great idea but they stay on for approximately 8 seconds no matter how tight I make them.
    Last edited by RdRngR; 04-03-2017 at 04:06 AM.

Dollar General has these clips. I believe they were 1.00 for a 4pk. I used those, old spinnerbait wire, shrink tube and a clip. No more than 5.00 spent total and just cut the wire ("stringer hooks")off of your existing cull tags. Those plastic clips hold. No issues.

19. Member
    It would be nice if you could find some good clips and just retrofit what you have from the pin type to the clip type. I have the Ardent Smart cull system, which I like, and it would be nice to be able to just swap the ends if it came to that.

Well - I am a slow typer. Looks like snowblind posted what I was looking for while I was writing.

20. Bob G's pool boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I fish a lot and on lakes that have a ton of tournaments and have never not many fish at all that had damage from culling tags. Did not realize this was an epidemic that needed banned.
    Not an epidemic but it surely doesn't hurt. There are finally products available that work well enough to consider it as a rule. I run a trail and we are making the move to puncture free this year. I have been wanting to do it for years but have been waiting for there to be a product that actually works. It seems that the market has demanded it and there are some viable options.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast