Thread: Addicted

Addicted

This winter...(now long past) I have been picking up golf balls. It has been great exercise and I have found some very interesting golf balls from all over the place with their logo's on them. Told my wife I'm going to have the biggest collection someday of these things. Now that it's warming up I don't believe I'll go looking as the ticks and other critters are coming out in force. Has been fun though....It's grown up Easter Egg hunting

When ever I'm golfing and waiting for the group ahead to finish I go golf ball hunting. Most balls I find I leave in the cart basket for the course to get rid of or anything worth keeping I keep.
    You are right in it being a easter egg hunt. I have been doing to for 30 years and it never gets old. It's actually a good waste of time.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

Easter egg hunt is an apt description. I've found plenty of ProV's and other high end balls over the past couple years to keep me stocked. I've also got a decent collection of logo balls on display along with some odd ball manufacturers balls. Helps to kill time waiting on the groups in front of you.

4. Banned
    I have a cousin, that as a kid, made a living picking up golf balls. He lived next to Pease AFB in Portsmouth, NH, right across from the golf course. A green was right across from the house, and being a military golf course there was a big fence to keep people from having access to the course, but it kept the golfers from getting balls that were hit too far. He had 5 gallon buckets full of balls, and the course would let him set up a table at the pro shop on the weekend, and sell the balls back to the golfers.
    He bought TV's and other presents for his parents, and bought his first car with golf ball money.

I found 4 balls while looking for my lost ball. Good trade off. Found 2 Titleist balls a callaway and a mojo. Lost my Callaway but its ok.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    I have a cousin, that as a kid, made a living picking up golf balls. He lived next to Pease AFB in Portsmouth, NH, right across from the golf course. A green was right across from the house, and being a military golf course there was a big fence to keep people from having access to the course, but it kept the golfers from getting balls that were hit too far. He had 5 gallon buckets full of balls, and the course would let him set up a table at the pro shop on the weekend, and sell the balls back to the golfers.
    He bought TV's and other presents for his parents, and bought his first car with golf ball money.
    That is pretty cool. I used to stomp around in the ponds and came up with more than enough balls to play. I couldn't afford to pay $11.99 a dozen for Titleist back then.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    That is pretty cool. I used to stomp around in the ponds and came up with more than enough balls to play. I couldn't afford to pay $11.99 a dozen for Titleist back then.
    It was cool. He used to give me a bucket of cut balls to practice with every summer when we would visit.

8. Member
    Unless it's a ProV or similar ball, I give the ones I find to the old guys a play golf with on weekdays. I've probably got over 200 balls out in the shop.

9. Member
    Starting to miss walking around in woods looking for balls.....but a quick glance of poisen ivy, ticks, spiders, and maybe snakes has me waiting for fall. Guess I'll work on game
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    I found 4 balls while looking for my lost ball. Good trade off. Found 2 Titleist balls a callaway and a mojo. Lost my Callaway but its ok.
    The way I play if I lose 3 and find 3 Im even for the day.. the group I play with save up their found balls and we have a Hit-off on a long par 5 off the tee its over a 200 yard drive over the water. We turn slightly on the tee box and see who can drive it out the furthest we've spent 20 minutes on that tee box taking turns...

11. Member
    I grew up finding golf balls at my grand parents house, I had to put a pic for reference but my grandfather made quite of bit of money selling golf balls during his retirment. so my grandparents lived on the street with the blue lines and I would go over there almost every week and search the red circle area for balls, as you can see the woods backed up to four holes and there was a big fence in the woods so you can not get to them. We would fill up two 5 gallon buckets a week with balls. My grandfather would then go home clean them and organize them in egg cartons. he would then go and sit on either in the woods with a sign he would put over the golf course fence or he would go to the local driving range and sell them out of his grand marquis trunk, he was a salesmen his whole life and I learned a lot of sales tricks/ and how to read peoples body language from him from selling golf balls. We would sell a dozen top flights or ultras for 5 and titelist for 10, he would put 5 colored and 5 whites in a carton and when people would ask for the top flights or ultras he would always show them the ones with mixed dozen as soon they soon they colored balls they were taken back, he then had a dozen white titelist sitting open and 9/10 times they would then get the titelist. It was a great memory.

12. Member
    Really would like to get out there looking now but the poison ivy, ticks, bee's and snakes have me concerned!! Sounds like you have good memories

13. Member
    Well the weather has cooled and have been hitting the woods again....think I may have enough now I may put some on craigslist. Found almost 2000 this week....crazy. My ol back is reminding me today how many I have found!! Tried golfing the same day I found over 600....mistake.