Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

shallow water manual anchor sticks

For those that cant afford to spend 3000 on a power pole, I have seen several different anchor sticks, any input ?
    Just James

I'm in that demographic. Have considered a manual anchor pin, specifically the Max-Gain system to get a longer knock-down system.
    I've seen some inventive mounts, including an old tiller tilting trolling motor mount clamped to the transom - allows the anchor stick to be tilted up while making short runs from spot to spot (versus stowing the stick).
    I've been playing with a mount that would attach to the trolling motor in some fashion too - but haven't got a design I really like yet.

3. Member
    I have this: http://www.mgs4u.com/shallow-water-boat-anchors.htm. Have enough parts to make 2 - 8', 12' or 16'

I also have poles made up from Max Gain using 4 foot sections. The 4 foot sections are a lot less expensive to ship and easier to store in the boat. In fact I store mine in a 54" shotgun case under my running seats. I use King Pin holders and a rail mounting system on the gunnels. They work fine, hold the boat well. They are a bit clumsy to use compared to pushing a button, especially with only one person in the boat. But they are way less expensive, way less weight on your transom, and your engine doesn't look like it has diesel exhaust stacks.

5. Member
    I don't own them but from what I have research the Max Gain poles are the way to go for a non-powered anchor pin. They have good reviews on other forums and it seems to me the best way to get a setup that I can easily store in my boat. I have been waffling back and forth about getting some but have not pulled the trigger yet.

6. Member
    First I've seen of the max gain. Love the concept. I think I'll order something next week. I had a 10' stick it which I really liked but hated there was no where for me store except with rods on deck. Would love some 4' s cations that could either become 2-8's or a 12'. Any tips before I order?

7. Member
    Here is the mount I use for my max gain poles

8. Member
    smalljawer, so that is just mounted to your trolling motor. Is that just PVC pipe?

9. Member
    Its just plain ol SCH 40 pvc

Very nice smalljawer! Simple, inexpensive, and easy to replace if it gets damaged. Great idea!

11. Member
    I have one Dig In Shallow water anchor pole. It is 12 foot long. I cut it in half and installed one of the Max Gain ferrules in it. Now it can store easily in my rod locker.

I am looking to make a mount to go on the engine mounting bolts. Then i am thinking about a Venom lures Down right system for up front. Take a good look at that setup.

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vnvjames View Post
    For those that cant afford to spend 3000 on a power pole, I have seen several different anchor sticks, any input ?
    We make powerpoles affordable..not quite as cheap as a stick, but maybe less then you think. We can get you one sportsman on your boat at a reasonable price.

13. Member
    I have made quite a few anchor poles and some brackets too. They work great on my tin boat. My buddy has one on his Triton TR-21 mounted to the troller.

14. Banned
    Last edited by Snickers89; 04-05-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Wang anchor is great
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Just stick your Wang in the mud, huh?
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

17. Member
    Google the Stick It Pin. First I ever saw was one of these and 7 years later still have them. No mounting anything on my boat and I put it in and out of the boat like a rod/reel.

Some comments on them. You need a soft bottom. Because of this, a 8ft anchor will hold you in about 5.5 to 6ft of water. Has taught me that on many lakes I fish I would need 12ft talons if I ever go that direction. 1 8ft stick it will hold a 20ft boat in 15mph winds so they do work well. Just need a bottom soft enough to get 18 inches of the stick into the bottom
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

18. Member
    used a painters pole for years

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    I have this: http://www.mgs4u.com/shallow-water-boat-anchors.htm. Have enough parts to make 2 - 8', 12' or 16'
    x2 very happy with it.
    Patch Pirate In Training
    XPress H20B 115HP Yamaha
    Raymarine a78
    https://bigbassflies.blogspot.com

20. Member
    Casting call mentioned a tiller tm transom mount, that's what I use. 12' peice of PVC, 3/4", wood dowels glued in both ends - to help it float and give a little rigidity to it.
    Cut one end at a 45° angle, put a tee on other end. Slides in the mount, can clamp it down if needed. Or just use it as a stake out pole.
    Pros : cheaper, lighter
    Cons : more flimsy (could alleviate this with more dowels?) Need a softer bottom, most of mud comes off if you slide it in out of the mount a few times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast