Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fiberglass issue??

I am buying a boat. The issue I have is that this boat looks like there is a small amount of damage to the gel coat. I can't tell if it actually damaged the fiberglass or just the gel coat. He states it's only the gel coat. Also The guy i'm buying it from says he had the motor rebuild, which cost 7k with 0 hrs on the motor now, which will take around 4 hrs under 35oo rpms to break in. He has reciepts and everything, but i'm just worried that there's actually damage to the fiberglass. What do you think?

Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like just Gel coat but it should still be taken care of with some marine tex or something.

3. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Believe I would continue shopping and pass on this one.

4. Bob G's pool boy
    First instinct...

Run.

But, depending on the price and the overall condition of the package, it might be worth it. There are a lot of conflicting things going on. $7K for a rebuild is on the high end. Maybe he had other things done while he was at it. Or maybe the shop that did it wasn't very good at it and took an inordinate amount of time.

The glass damage doesn't look all that serious, but it is near impossible to tell from a picture.

The piece of skeg missing is concerning. Adds to the overall theme.

Final verdict...

Run
    Last edited by billspence; 04-01-2017 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Unless the price is really low

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

Rebuild worries me more than the glass. Glass just looks like battle scars.
    Wishing I was Fishing

6. Member
    Zero hours, I gotta go with billspence on this one. Never know, that motor might lock up just idling out to the first buoy. Ive seen it happen and now your with out any warranty.
    Looks like they tried to fix the gel once before with the wrong product. What is that, caulking??Hard to tell what they tried covering up

Looks like white caulk or touch up paint.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

8. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Looks to me like its more than just gel coat damage in a couple of places, but its hard to tell from the pictures. I am sure it could be fixed though. I'd probably walk away from it.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    This
    Ranger 520vx Yamaha 225 ox66.

10. Banned
    How did He word the 'guarantee'? Because sans a guarantee I'd thank Him for the time and move on..

11. Banned
    The little nicks in the glass are a non-issue almost every boat has a few. The rebuild come with any warranty from the shop that did the work? If so go for it if not walk away.

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    For what reasons would you pass, that's an easy fix, just curious....??

13. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerbobber View Post
    For what reasons would you pass, that's an easy fix, just curious....??
    Gel issues plus motor rebuild would scare me away. Lots of boats for sale, so I would keep looking.

14. Member
    Without knowing the price of the boat I am going to say walk. It is apparent that they tried to fix the fiberglass once..by the large indentation on the left. it is impossible to make a educated suggestion without seeing it in person. To many other things to consider. Buyer beware is always a good statement. Have you test driven it yet........

Gel issues plus motor rebuild would scare me away. Lots of boats for sale, so I would keep looking.
    Id say that 99% of the boats on here has at least that many battle scars if theyre actually used. Those just happen to be on the side edge in a visible spot and looks like they were botched in a repair attempt. No problem to fix.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

16. Member
    Seams as though the past owner did a lot of bouncing on rocks in shallow water and busted out chips and/or chunks of the gelcoat. As mentioned above marinetex will repair those small imperfections, but the motor rebuild?? The owner beat the snot out of his hull and whooped a motor, how well would you say it's been taken care of? I'd run now

Question----Why would a boat owner spend $7k rebuilding an outboard and never test it on the water ? ( zero hours)

The battle scars, below the water line, how long has the gel coat been gouged, missing.

What year, what price? Lot of 10-20 year old boats right here on the BBC that have zero damage and original outboards

18. Member
    I just noticed this was your first post---WELCOME TO THE MADNESS....You will find that the honesty and straight forward answers will out weight some attempts at humor. I have seen it happen many times------there is probably a member of this board that knows that boat. Again, It is you money and you have to make the final decision....take time to look at the for sale section on here.....There have been members that drove 2 days to buy a boat from another member...Let me put it this way---The longer you are here the more you will understand you and not a member you are family...

19. Member
    Welcome Aboard..

20. Member
    I'm no expert, but there are too many signals on this one, from the chips in the hull, skeg damaged even though the motor was "just rebuilt" and the rebuild, period. He wants you to run around at 3500 RPM, in the back of my mind that means "Don't push it, it might blow up again".
    This is no way to start bass boating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast