Considering Removing On-Baord Battery Charger

I have been giving some thought to removing my on-board battery charger for all my local trips. After all it is not charging and is just dead weight while on the water. I figured I would just leave it at home and plug into the boat when I get home. For over night excursion I would re-install it in the boat.

If anyone has gone this route, how are you getting around having to bolt and un-bolt your charger leads every time when you need to use it? Have you added alligator clips to the charger leads or something else?

Thanks in advance.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

connectors are Minn-Kota MKR-12
    Last edited by bassbama; 03-30-2017 at 03:49 PM.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassbama View Post

connectors are Minn-Kota MKR-12
    Exactly what I was thinking about doing!

Thanks for the pictures
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

4. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    cfm,
    For safety, setup your battery/charger disconnects cables such that they are routinely only made outside of a bilge, well away from where explosive fuel and battery charging gasses can exist.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 03-30-2017 at 10:28 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    For safety, your battery/charger disconnects cables should be designed such that they are routinely only made outside of a bilge, well away from where explosive fuel and battery charging gasses can exist.
    Or make sure the charger is unplugged before you connect or disconnect the leads.

Check out the sticky above "my Ranger lost 33 pounds"
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

7. Member
    I thought the idea of having a on board charger is so you don't have to do what you want to do

Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    cfm,
    For safety, setup your battery/charger disconnects cables such that they are routinely only made outside of a bilge, well away from where explosive fuel and battery charging gasses can exist.
    Good reminder the cables in the 3rd picture are about 3ft long and the connection is made well behind the boats transom 1st picture was just to show connection type. Also the + connection tip is the never exposed on the cables that store in the bilge and I also placed yellow caps over the - exposed connector tip for added safety and secure cables with tie-wrap device and cover all your trolling battery connections.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

9. mike l. ketcher
    Do you loose any voltage through connectors doing it this way?

10. Member
    Fill stage voltage losses matter little provided the wiring or connector does not overheat.

The important finishing voltage of a charger is applied at the end of charging and is when there is almost no current flow. So then, there is almost no voltage losses in the charger's wiring or connectors. Dual Pro for example sells rather lengthy and small size extension wires for their charger's leads.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 03-31-2017 at 10:20 AM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Or make sure the charger is unplugged before you connect or disconnect the leads.
    Even unplugged from an AC outlet, a spark may can be generated from some charger's having large filter caps across their outputs. It may be as well a boat building code violation to include provide boat operator regularly accessed electrical disconnects in the bilge area.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 03-31-2017 at 10:25 AM.

did you ever do this? how did it turn out?
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

13. Member
    I've ran a boat like that now for 11 years. uses quick disconnect that are made to the right size from the automotive stores. normally in the battery section. they are red in color. I used heavy duty battery chargers that do both agm or normal cell from battery tender. available on their website as special order.

is this what you use? and you use three different single bank battery tender chargers?
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Check out the posts from Mikexpress and what he did. I did it with a 9 pin connector!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

16. Member
    Use a Polak connector. 6-pin for 3 batteries and 9-pin for 4

I've built 2 separate setups, one for my former 519vx and 1 for my tracker.

Install charger in a toolbox from HD
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post

is this what you use? and you use three different single bank battery tender chargers?
    Ionic includes these when you buy a charger.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

18. mikesxpress