Thread: It's that time!

T Dub

It's that time!

Crappie are getting up shallow - the big males are in position. Fished yesterday evening for a couple hours and caught close to 50. Kept a limit.

Question for the crappie guys: After the spawn when the crappie disappear from the shallows, where do they go? Do they suspend over deeper water for a while or do they return to the channels? I've always been able to catch them shallow around the spawn and then I'm done for the year.

2. Banned
    What was the water temp? They will mostly be on the drops on brush after the spawn.

3. T Dub
    I usually check the surface temp with an infrared gun, but yesterday I was catching them pretty good and forgot to check. I would guess around 70 in the back of the creek and upper 60's in the middle.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    I usually check the surface temp with an infrared gun, but yesterday I was catching them pretty good and forgot to check. I would guess around 70 in the back of the creek and upper 60's in the middle.
    Infrared gun? You own a temp gun but no fish finder with temp? Water temp here on KY lake is 58 to 60.

5. T Dub
    My depth finder has no temperature probe so I just use an infrared lazer. I fish out of an old jon boat. The water temp in the back of the creek I was fishing last Saturday was upper 60's. It was warmer yesterday.

6. Member
    If there are trees in your lake, fishing standing timber is a great summer bite pattern.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    If there are trees in your lake, fishing standing timber is a great summer bite pattern.

Wish we had trees in our lakes but we do not . hard to find them crappie in the summer.

Crappie are getting up shallow - the big males are in position. Fished yesterday evening for a couple hours and caught close to 50. Kept a limit.

Question for the crappie guys: After the spawn when the crappie disappear from the shallows, where do they go? Do they suspend over deeper water for a while or do they return to the channels? I've always been able to catch them shallow around the spawn and then I'm done for the year.
    You got into a real good mess! When they disappear from the shallows, I'll probe brush in the first drop off from the spawning banks. They'll recover there for a bit, then slowly move off into the creek channel.

9. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by zerofivenismo View Post
    You got into a real good mess! When they disappear from the shallows, I'll probe brush in the first drop off from the spawning banks. They'll recover there for a bit, then slowly move off into the creek channel.
    Good info!

I fished with a friend Saturday and caught close to 50 again, but only 20 keepers. Water temp at daylight was 59 in the middle of the creek - sun came out after lunch time and warmed the water a few degrees I'm sure. Males were still up very shallow and relating to all cover/structure with the majority coming from rocks and stumps (biting anywhere from 1 to 5 feet with the boat siting in anywhere from 8 to 40 feet deep). Big females were off the end of docks and in deep brush biting anywhere from 5 to 12 feet.

Lots of rain coming through today. Hopefully going again in a few days.

Looks like you got a pattern figured out. Males up shallow. Then back off to sack the big gals.

11. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by zerofivenismo View Post
    Looks like you got a pattern figured out. Males up shallow. Then back off to sack the big gals.
    Storms moving in tonight with a cold front - Hoping the fish will stay put until I can go again

12. Member
    hope the water temp does not drop too much . those Crappie can be sensitive to drastic drops in temps.

13. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by flatstick View Post
    hope the water temp does not drop too much . those Crappie can be sensitive to drastic drops in temps.
    I'm hoping the male crappie will stay focused if you know what I mean....

14. Member
    I'm hoping the male crappie will stay focused if you know what I mean....
    I know what you are saying ha ha ha ha .