Thread: 6.5 creedmore ?

6.5 creedmore ?

What advantages will a 6.5cm yield to me? I have a 243 and a 7 rem mag. Will the 6.5 do anything the 243 and 7 won't? Trying to talk myself out of another rifle purchase.

2. Member
    the answer is NO, but it might reach out further.
    Same casing, larger bullet.....129gr bullet running 3000fps is good for LD shooting though. Most were good out to 1000 yds if loaded right & in the correct rifle. They will be deadly accurate to 500-600 as well.

Friend of mine has a Creed (bolt) with a 10-24x and shoots out to 800 yds consistently with his.

3. Member
    I don't get it. Why would you want to talk yourself out of buying a new gun?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I don't get it. Why would you want to talk yourself out of buying a new gun?
    Insanity is s funny thing ain't it I do the same damn thing

The 6.5 will shoot as flat as your 7 mag and have the recoil of your 243. Its also crazy accurate.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    The 6.5 will shoot as flat as your 7 mag and have the recoil of your 243. Its also crazy accurate.
    That peaks my interest. I'm big and that 7 rocks my world. After about 3-4 shots I'm like the hound dog that screwed the skunk. I didn't get all I wanted but I had all I could take.

7. Member
    I'm trying to decide between a 6x47 Lapua and a 6mm Creedmoor. From what I am reading, the 6mm bullet has a slight edge over the 6.5 in ballistic coefficient.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BARRY J View Post
    I'm trying to decide between a 6x47 Lapua and a 6mm Creedmoor. From what I am reading, the 6mm bullet has a slight edge over the 6.5 in ballistic coefficient.
    unless you shoot Competition (1000 yd club) & reload your own, I don't see a realistic need for it. a .243 is lethal out to 500 w/o putting a ton of compensation out for it. Good marksmen can put a 1 MOA group @ 200yds with a .243. 6mm-creed might get you another 50, poss 100 yds precision MOA, but other than that, just another LD cartridge. Just like anything else, drop is still going to be 7 to 10 inches depending on a lot of factors, #1 being barrel length. Most guys shooting that far are goign to use a 30 to 36" barrel with custom cut rifling.

Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    What advantages will a 6.5cm yield to me? I have a 243 and a 7 rem mag. Will the 6.5 do anything the 243 and 7 won't? Trying to talk myself out of another rifle purchase.
    The 6.5 CM will carry more energy with a larger diameter and heavier bullet than the 243. This is especially true beyond 400 yards where the 243's energy drops below 1000 ft lbs. Recoil will be slightly greater with the 6.5 CM compared to the 243.

Regarding the 7mm Rem Mag vs. 6.5 cm, the 7 mag wins. The 7mag fires a larger/heavier bullet at higher velocity than the 6.5 cm is capable of. The downside to the 7 mag is it requires a long action which adds weight and length to the rifle. Minimum barrel length is 24" with 26-28" being more suited to burning large amounts of slow burning powder. Ammo costs and fairly short barrel life are other cons to consider with the 7mag.

If you are a hunter, disregard ammo costs and barrel life. You will likely never shoot the rifle enough to wear out the barrel. If you are a match shooter, ammo costs and barrel life should be considered.

As a matter of experience, I have both a 243 and 6.5 cm. Accuracy wise, they are both pretty close. I think the 6.5 cm holds an edge due to a better trigger and bedding system. My 243 is cheaper to shoot and I can get ammo for it anywhere. Its my choice out to 400 yards. For longer pokes, I grab the 6.5 cm. It has a nicer scope with target turrets and makes it easier to range, dial and shoot.

Long story short, if you want a 6.5.cm, just go ahead and get one. It packs more punch than a 243 and is Ballistically close to the 7mag with much less boom and recoil. While you are at it, get the barrel threaded and pick up a suppressor. Shooting suppressed is about as much fun as you can legally have with your clothes on. The boom and blast are gone. Recoil is reduced equal to a quality muzzle brake.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champion221elite View Post
    The 6.5 CM will carry more energy with a larger diameter and heavier bullet than the 243. This is especially true beyond 400 yards where the 243's energy drops below 1000 ft lbs. Recoil will be slightly greater with the 6.5 CM compared to the 243.

Regarding the 7mm Rem Mag vs. 6.5 cm, the 7 mag wins. The 7mag fires a larger/heavier bullet at higher velocity than the 6.5 cm is capable of. The downside to the 7 mag is it requires a long action which adds weight and length to the rifle. Minimum barrel length is 24" with 26-28" being more suited to burning large amounts of slow burning powder. Ammo costs and fairly short barrel life are other cons to consider with the 7mag.

If you are a hunter, disregard ammo costs and barrel life. You will likely never shoot the rifle enough to wear out the barrel. If you are a match shooter, ammo costs and barrel life should be considered.

As a matter of experience, I have both a 243 and 6.5 cm. Accuracy wise, they are both pretty close. I think the 6.5 cm holds an edge due to a better trigger and bedding system. My 243 is cheaper to shoot and I can get ammo for it anywhere. Its my choice out to 400 yards. For longer pokes, I grab the 6.5 cm. It has a nicer scope with target turrets and makes it easier to range, dial and shoot.

Long story short, if you want a 6.5.cm, just go ahead and get one. It packs more punch than a 243 and is Ballistically close to the 7mag with much less boom and recoil. While you are at it, get the barrel threaded and pick up a suppressor. Shooting suppressed is about as much fun as you can legally have with your clothes on. The boom and blast are gone. Recoil is reduced equal to a quality muzzle brake.
    Great summary!

Just a side note, I don't own a .243, but I do own a .270 and 7mm Mag. I also own two 6.5 Creedmoors. The reduced recoil of the Creedmoor while maintaining excellent ballistics is what really appeals to me with this relatively newer cartridge. There are a ton of bullet choices for the Creedmoor now to handle whatever task that you are looking to accomplish. If you are a reloader, the 6.5 is a lot of fun to work with. If you don't reload, there is new ammo being released almost daily. Boxes of 20 for the Creedmoor range from ~$19 to over $40.

I have a bit of arthritis in my shoulder and I just can't handle many rounds at the range with the 7 Mag and .270 like I used to.
    2008 Skeeter 21 i-Class w/ 300 Yamaha HPDI Series 2

I have a Christensen Arms Carbon Classic in 6.5. It's a great shooting rifle, but it was way overpriced. My Ruger 77 Hawkeye in .264Win Mag is just as accurate at 300 yards and was a fraction of the cost of the Christensen. I can't see where the 6.5 is equal to a 7mm Mag. I load a 120gr Nosler for the 7 Mag and the recoil is light enough that you can shoot it on the bench without feeling pain.
    1999 Ranger R91 / Mercury 200 EFI.

Quote Originally Posted by StratDude View Post
    I have a Christensen Arms Carbon Classic in 6.5. It's a great shooting rifle, but it was way overpriced. My Ruger 77 Hawkeye in .264Win Mag is just as accurate at 300 yards and was a fraction of the cost of the Christensen. I can't see where the 6.5 is equal to a 7mm Mag. I load a 120gr Nosler for the 7 Mag and the recoil is light enough that you can shoot it on the bench without feeling pain.
    I was referring to the 6.5 cm and 7mag having similar bullet drop and wind drift characteristics. The 6.5 cm and 7mag are most definitively NOT ballistically equal. The 7 mag is faster, and hits harder at longer ranges. This comes at a price though. Greater recoil, cost and barrel life are just a few things to consider.

Unless a man is shooting every day, or shooting a lot of competitions, barrel life is just a myth. Rifle barrels will out live most members on this forum, regardless of the caliber.
    1999 Ranger R91 / Mercury 200 EFI.

14. Member
    I will stick with my Model 70 In 264 Win mag. Thanks

I have a 6.5 Swedish and a .260 rem.. love both..

I did a bunch of reading about the Creedmor and in the end I bought another 308 bolt. I didn't want to deal with another caliber.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

17. Member
    The 308 has been being used for shooting 1000 yd. matches before it was cool to do so. Lots of different choices for factory ammo and will kill stuff further than most of us can shoot an animal ethically. Low recoil stuff available if you just want to shoot a bunch. Good choice.

18. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by preacher ed View Post
    The 308 has been being used for shooting 1000 yd. matches before it was cool to do so. Lots of different choices for factory ammo and will kill stuff further than most of us can shoot an animal ethically. Low recoil stuff available if you just want to shoot a bunch. Good choice.
    My 308 will hit a dinner plate every time at 800, which is as long as the range is. Gonna try a doe at 600+ this year.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!