2001 G3 MV pro series with a Yamaha 50 hp

Hey guys,
    Im a college student about to buy my first "serious" bass boat to fish college tournaments out of as well as local pot tourneys. Found a 2001 G3 MV pro series with a Yamaha 50 hp on craigslist for around $6k. Does anyone have any experience with this particular boat? Or would y'all recommend this boat, Pros and Cons?

Thanks!

2. Member
    This boat is the predecessor of the Eagle 165/175/185 series of boats. These are good entry level boats that provide decent stability, ride, and performance for the money. Unfortunately, I would approach all Pre 2006 G3s with caution. The reason for this is due to the risk of an electrolysis reaction between the aluminum hull and the pressure treated plywood that they were using at the time. If you do a search on aluminum hull electrolysis you'll find out what I'm talking about. I would check the transom and the hull at the deck level and where it rests on the bunks very closely for any signs of pinholes or pinhole repairs. If you find any, thank them for their time and walk away very quickly! The other issue may be that this is not a fully welded hull and may use rivets in areas to hold it together. Riveted boats have a tendency to leak and repairs can be very difficult. Not a deal killer, but a nuisance all the same.

You didn't mention what size of boat this is. I'm guessing you're looking at a 165 or 16'-6" boat. Not sure of the hp rating, but I would guess a 60 as that is what the Eagle 165 is rated for. If that is the case, a 50 will work fine but you will likely have buyers remorse for not maxing out the HP of the boat. If it is a 175 or 185, then even more so. My 2 cents worth, hope this helps.
    2008 G3 Eagle 170
    Yamaha 90 2 Stroke (TX Boat)

2007 G3 HP 170
    Yamaha 115 2 Stroke (MN Boat)

3. Member
    If this will help, I have a 2002 Pro175 and have had no problems at all and sometimes the Potomac at my location can get a little salty.. I did replace the original trailer three years ago with a new Bear galvanized (the Potomac ate the original trailer). I was surprised that Bear did away with carpet on the under hull bunks and covered them with a black bunk slick material. The side hull guides still have carpet. I recommend you offer $5,000. The boat is over priced in my opinion. Also check NADA on the price.

4. Member
    Did a little research and on NADA guides and a 2001 G3 Pro 175 w/ a 50hp 2 stroke has a low retail of $3900 and average retail of $4450. Hal is right, $6000 is overpriced for this boat. That boat's max hp is most likely a 90, so a 50 will likely leave you wanting more.
    2008 G3 Eagle 170
    Yamaha 90 2 Stroke (TX Boat)

2007 G3 HP 170
    Yamaha 115 2 Stroke (MN Boat)