Skeeter trailer steel fenders carpeted side boards , replace with taller boards?

A couple times lately I've had such bad ramp conditions it was difficult to keep the back of the boat from floating over the top of the fender. Thinking about replacing those side boards inside the trailer fenders with taller ones. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Roper56; 01-31-2024 at 11:47 AM.

2. Member
    Just do not back down as far in the water.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KB1953 View Post
    Just do not back down as far in the water.
    Thanks, I get that. Sorry I wasn't clear. Really bad ramp conditions cause a problem. Specifically , when the water is low and the end of the ramp is washed out , sometimes one side of the trailer will end up so much lower than the other that one side of the boat will float off over and on top the fender. That is backing down the minimum required to be able to crank the boat up to the bow eye. The other day loading the boat out, I backed down 5 times in different spots on the ramp trying to find a spot level enough. Ended up having to hook up the crank strap and wade out to the back of the boat and muscle it off the fender . Had I noticed when I launched solo I may have decided to abandon the launch. I tie a dock line to the boat and trailer and back down enough to float the boat part way off then pull up a little , get out climb over the rear truck tire into bed over tailgate onto trailer up the steps onto bow and back off . When I did that I was looking in the mirror at the side of trailer that did not drop down, so didn't notice.

All that being said, I should have just asked if anyone with a modern skeeter trailer has replaced the side boards inside the fenders on a tandem trailer with taller ones for whatever reason. Maybe 2" more would do it.

4. Member
    Do you feel like your lakes and bad ramp conditions are going to stay like that? If not I would look at putting some temporary poles on the back of the trailer, kinda like an xpress trailer has. Taller boards would also seem to work but poles might be easier if it’s temporary.

5. Member
    Im looking for permanent solution , I fish all over Texas and never know what I may face.