Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stupid Question - Skeeters?

Seems like everyone always mentions Basscats, Rangers, Tritons, and the occasional Champion or Phoenix when comparing boats. Why no Skeeters, no love for Yamahas or some other reason? Just seems odd, them being the original bass boat manufacturer.
    Boatless again but looking forward to Spring

2. Member
    Can you get a Skeeter without a Yamaha? If not, that'd be the reason why I wouldn't consider them. I do like the idea of the 4 stroke SHO, but I've heard from the Yamaha guys around me that there isn't a great Yamaha repair shop in my area, but there is a Mercury one that I use and like a lot. At least not that I'm aware or heard of

3. Banned
    They dominate the Texas market, I think it's more of a regional thing. In my opinion "most" people buy what's around them the most.

Nothing wrong with a Skeeter. My dealer sells BassCat and Skeeter boats. There are some differences in build quality, but not enough to rule them out. I'd probably pick one over a T or R boat. But I'm a BassCat guy...
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

5. Member
    like said most of it is dealer , I was a ranger guy for 15 years ranger pulled out of area and was looking ready to travel and closes was 9 hrs one way , so closes dealer was a skeeter and not even an hour drive but love my skeeter and Yamaha motor even thou I did have a problem which when I thought about it I said man I'd have to travel 2 days for a fix , so I'm happy . and we always need a fix along the line , Good Luck and good fishing

6. Member
    I love the new ZX250 I have, It is my first Skeeter and I'm impressed with it. I have owned Bass Cat, Triton, Nitro and a few odd brands. That being said Bass Cats customer service and quality control cannot be beat. However if you have a good Skeeter/Yamaha dealer then it is a great riding, fishing boat.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If the Skeeter dealer sells other brands of motors and you would like to install the non Yamaha brand on it, the boat can be ordered with the smallest available Yamaha motor on it then the dealer can perform the swap at the dealership.

8. Member
    There are a few skeeters with mercs around here. Only 2 or 3 that I've seen but I think they were repowers. Skeeters are dominant here though and they are nice boats.

Yamaha owns skeeter. Its a no brainer as to why they all come with a yamaha. Skeeter used to be a top shelf boat. Their quality has stooped to the level of some of the other mass produced cult followed boats so when quality goes down it hurts sales. When quality is marginal but never changes the customers never leave due to quality issues they just knew it going in.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Yamaha owns skeeter. Its a no brainer as to why they all come with a yamaha. Skeeter used to be a top shelf boat. Their quality has stooped to the level of some of the other mass produced cult followed boats so when quality goes down it hurts sales. When quality is marginal but never changes the customers never leave due to quality issues they just knew it going in.
    Are you serious..lol

11. Member
    its gotta be true I seen it on the internet

Wow...

So, whats drawing the wow- when somebody buys a package boat from a huge box store and it has issues, everybody says "well, you bought it. Its not like the quality has changed" or a guy that has a 2000 model skeeter and trades it in on a brand new one and has all kinds of piddly quality issues and hes surprised- which one gets more play here on bbc? I speak from experience in owning most major brands and damn sure working on them brand new off the truck before they hit the lot. I cant see whats getting the surprises here are yall trying to say skeeter was never a quality boat when it comes to mass produced boats? Are yall trying to say a 2017 skeeter has better quality control than say a 2002 model or even a 96 pre yamaha skeeter? Being from east texas i can safely say ive been in a skeeter or two- I even fished in the very first owners tournament on lake o' the pines in the skeeter i purchased at the ripe age of 16.

So what my original post was trying to say- quality issues on a skeeter get forum time and then folks hear about it then sales go down cause they hear about all those issues then go buy something else that may have way more issues more common theyre just dismissed because quality was never there.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

14. Member
    At a Momma Yamaha meeting the higher up from the whole big world of Yamaha not just outboard motors told Skeeter boats we don't care if you make a profit . We want you to sale Yamaha outboards we consider skeeter a personal flotation device for our motors .

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    They dominate the Texas market, I think it's more of a regional thing. In my opinion "most" people buy what's around them the most.
    Would not say it's a total domination..
    But will say that the Yamaha backed (Bass Champs) tournament trail has sold a ton of Skeeters in Texas. IMO they make a fine fishing boat.

Every boat company has a few quality issues...but more boats don't have them than do. You get a very small percentage of owners that come to a forum to gripe about issues. The truth is most guys are very happy with their rigs whatever the brand may be. I Just happened to look over about every major and some smaller brands on the market at the classic..they ALL looked pretty awesome with some very innovative features.

Claiming/blaming that a boat brand is poor/low quality because its "mass produced" (like a modern manufacturing method is a bad thing...thanks Henry Ford) is just ignorance. The truth is "money talks and bullshit walks". Guys spending 20-70 plus grand on a rig are not idiots...they know what they are getting, and they probably spend an inordinate amount of time comparing and researching a purchase. In the end they choose what they like and what suits their needs. More often than not they are very happy with their choice of boat.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Would not say it's a total domination..
    But will say that the Yamaha backed (Bass Champs) tournament trail has sold a ton of Skeeters in Texas. IMO they make a fine fishing boat.
    i think its more of them being made in texas than bass champs. Plus all the major dealers sold em back in the day like reeves marine in shreveport. They pushed em out all day every day

i think its more of them being made in texas than bass champs. Plus all the major dealers sold em back in the day like reeves marine in shreveport. They pushed em out all day every day
    That also .. It's amazing how many fisherman have made the switch just in the last few years due to the bonuses given by Skeeter through BassChamps !!
    They add $5000.00 to the top Skeeter finisher at every event.. That's' a pretty good incentive.

They get double their check up to $5000. But with as many as there is id say its $5000 every time

Is that how it works ??
    Since I don't have one I did not pay that much attention to the details.
    I do know some good fishermen who were true blue Ranger drivers until Bass Champs.. Said they were foolish not to have all the contingency money covered.. I agree-- I'm just to stubborn to lose my speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast