Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Construction quality

Last edited by Snickers89; 04-19-2017 at 08:30 AM.

2. Member
    Good post.

3. Banned
    Well....BassCat wont warranty blisters so call that one a wash.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Well....BassCat wont warranty blisters so call that one a wash.
    I think it's not so much who will warranty them but which boat is it less likely to happen to warranty or not.

5. Banned
    Last edited by Snickers89; 04-05-2017 at 09:37 AM.

6. Member
    I am sure someone will come along soon to answer question on the gel coat, resin, construction techniques etc.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Snickers89 View Post
    I'm serious. I don't know anything about charger, don't know anybody thats had one, only seen 2 and they were 80's models. If I am to consider dropping good coin on a rig, I want to feel good about longevity.

I know they've around 40 years. However, need a warm fuzzy.
    Well you kinda answered your own questions... How did the 80's models look cosmetically? You must have been mildly impressed to consider dropping any amount of $$,$$$. They've been around 40yrs so they must be doing something right. Right???... As an owner of a used Charger back in the late 80's their customer service was second to none, great people to deal with... Call and ask to speak with Jim (President/ Owner), if he's not available leave your contact info and he'll call you back when he gets freed up... Dan

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite View Post
    Well you kinda answered your own questions... How did the 80's models look cosmetically? You must have been mildly impressed to consider dropping any amount of $$,$$$. They've been around 40yrs so they must be doing something right. Right???... As an owner of a used Charger back in the late 80's their customer service was second to none, great people to deal with... Call and ask to speak with Jim (President/ Owner), if he's not available leave your contact info and he'll call you back when he gets freed up... Dan
    +1 call Jim and he will answer any question you ask. As far as quality I can only speak for myself I have never heard of Charger having a issue. I own a 2001 186 and the only thing I have fixed on the boat is a leaking livewell control valve, redone my seats only because I did away with the bench seat, and after 16 years I would replace the carpet this winter if I was going to keep it. This was my second Charger and my third will be a 210 elite.

9. Charger Rep. Texas/La
    Charger uses Coosa composites and AME resins like most all manufacturers. I am not aware of any glass manufacturer that warranties blisters, crazing or stress cracks. The build process is a mix of hand laid glass as well as chop in places, composite strengthening material on the sides as well as the floor. All cavities are sprayed with flotation foam, stringers are all glass, transom is 4 inches thick and all composite. No wood anywhere. For a more detailed build schedule plan a trip to the plant and watch one being built.

10. Member
    Built like a brick shiet house! All boats have some issues but charger stands behind them. Oh, and transoms are rock solid!

11. Banned
    Wish I could be of some help, but I can't since I've never even seen one in person. I can say, read through this forum and try to find some complaints. We all know that nitros can have issues because we read about it, don't hear anything negative about Charger.

Gatorbacks seem to be the only solution for blisters with either brand.

12. Banned
    Anyone ever hear about blisters on a Charger?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    I personally have not, but it could happen I would think.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    From my readings the "T" brand is the worst about getting them.

15. Member
    I have some internal pics of the 210's transom. Charger is doubling the strength and support members/stringers. One day I figure out how to post the pictures off my phone.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thurman View Post
    Charger uses Coosa composites and AME resins like most all manufacturers. I am not aware of any glass manufacturer that warranties blisters, crazing or stress cracks. The build process is a mix of hand laid glass as well as chop in places, composite strengthening material on the sides as well as the floor. All cavities are sprayed with flotation foam, stringers are all glass, transom is 4 inches thick and all composite. No wood anywhere. For a more detailed build schedule plan a trip to the plant and watch one being built.
    Phoenix does fix some stress cracks, I have seen people on the Phoenix boards talk about getting boats fixed from the factory. I do know most companies use the AME resins but their are different resins on the AME web page. I do not know of any of the later year boats having transom trouble, I will say not many companies out their will put a 300 on a 20' boat like Champion/Charger, that in and of it self states a lot about what they thing of their boat.

The Charger brand as been around for about 30-40 years and have been known as a boat brand that is as tough as they get. You won't hear of many problems over the years on this brand. They just never took off like a Ranger or Skeeter back in the 80's but it wasn't because they weren't build great, its just a brand that people preferred the other brands over. I think this conversion of the 210 with their well known abilities to build boats will be a winner.

17. Member
    Mr. Touch of Class, where are you? I'm sure you could jump in here and educate us on this subject.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    I have some internal pics of the 210's transom. Charger is doubling the strength and support members/stringers. One day I figure out how to post the pictures off my phone.
    I'm glad you said this. I've been meaning to ask about the transom. I was in the Ranger plant several years ago when they were building Champions, Tritons, and Stratos, alongside the Rangers. I was SHOCKED at how THIN the transoms were on these boats compared to the Rangers. Not knocking them, just saying what I saw. I've heard Charger's transom is 4 inches thick. I hope that's what they're putting in the Elites now. Great to hear that they're beefing up the members/stringers and transoms. Please tell us more. No such thing as overkill when it comes to strength in my opinion.

19. Member
    While I don't know Chargers, I do know composites. I used to build hulls and (complicated) decks up to 29'. The key to flaws, blisters and such is to not have them. That comes down to build techniques and the people that are hand laying up or setting up vacuum equipment properly. Word travels pretty fast when you have a bad product.
    When I was shopping for my boat I had an idea of what I wanted but when the boat popped up that I have now at a great price I jumped on it. No regrets at all in 16 years of use. Only change I would make if I was to do it over would be to go longer and a non riveted hull. No salt for this one!
    I am curious how you came down to looking specifically for Charger boats? What features 'clicked' for you?

20. Banned
    As far as transoms goes they are almost fool proof. Because this fool has beat the crap out of his and it still shows no signs of wear. Hit something that ripped a gash down the side of the LU that was a loss. Father was driving it on Grand and hit a house boat wake that sent us airborne high enough when we came down he ruptured 3 discs in his neck. I have bounced it off more stumps then I can count. Still solid as a rock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast