Patching holes in Champion glass (see pic)

Hey guys- I'm switching trolling motors and need to fill a couple holes. My boat is a 1998 171 that isn't going to the fair anytime soon but I still like it to look as nice as possible. What is the best way to DIY filling the holes in the pic below w/ a color that at least comes close to matching?

Thanks!!!!

2. Member

Simple 10-step DIY:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ghlight=simple

minicraft.com might be a source for poly flake.

Look really close at your base layer of resin (behind the flake) - it might be black, or red. Get a close pigment match on that base color when you mix the resin used to fill in the holes.
    Adding flake, then clearcoat are last on the repair list.
    You could just patch the holes with any fiberglass color (or Marine-tex), then cover with a rubber step pad as suggested.

4. Member
    Order some red gel, prep the inside of the holes with a dremel or sandpaper and then tape the underneath of the hole. Then just load up the hole with gel and wet sand and buff it out after it cures.

5. Member
    Thanks guys

6. @delta_fisher
    Forgive my ignorance. Do you need any reinforcement to do a patch like this?

Im imagining bondo and being able to push your finger through the hole unl we there is a backing to secure it

i don't doubt your correct, I just don't have enough experience with gel to understand it
    99 Triton TR18 DC
    99 Evinrude Ficht 150

Striped bass angler, CA Delta

@delta_fisher @pondscumanglers
    @limitlures @slyguylures
    @nor.cal.kat

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline View Post

Im imagining bondo and being able to push your finger through the hole unl we there is a backing to secure it

i don't doubt your correct, I just don't have enough experience with gel to understand it
    If you prep the hole and it is a reasonably small sized hole it will be 100% ok. Gel is essentially just colored resin. If it were a hole though the bottom of the boat or something similar you would have to grind it out a few inches and glass it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline View Post

No reinforcement needed from a structural standpoint, since this is more of a cosmetic repair. But when filling large gaps (like those holes in OP's image), it's best to use a filler material - like chopped fiberglass, cabosil, or even a wood dowel. Once the hole is plugged, then the surface can be finished for the cosmetic repair.

9. Member
    I had a hole like that. Put masking tape on the backside then filled with marinetex. Sanded that down below the surface then finished with gelcoat.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    I would definitely glass the larger holes the smaller holes maybe cabosil or marine tex.

Resin alone is a very poor patch even marine tex would not be good in the bigger holes jmho. It may visually look OK but if something hits it just right it could pop out.

11. Member
    Agreed about filling them. Mixing chopped fiberglass into resin is not too tough.

I think the big question is just how into gel coat and polyflake work do you want to get? Could easily make a bigger area look bad that just a couple of holes. Covering them with an adhesive pad of some sort would be easiest by a long shot. Are these going to be totally uncovered when the new TM is installed? You could certainly look into flake, minicraft or polycryl will be your sources most likely. An exact match can be really tough though. I had to send a piece to polycryl for them to try and match it - I got a good match but it's not 100%. And you cannot buy small amounts of the stuff, I think I had to buy a pound of it, and we used maybe one or two ounces for the repair work I had done. Just other things to consider.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp