1985 ProCraft 1650v with 1985 Johnson 115 v4 - Help with Setup - Need more speed!

I just recently got the boat and its in incredible shape for its age. Motor is running really good. Here is my question/problem. I feel like I should be getting more speed. I have read about guys with 17ft boats with my engine getting in the 50s. I am runnning 41-43 avg (GPS). Here is my setup... No jackplate, 21 pitch aluminum prop, running at 5800 rpms. If I trim anymore at that RPM, I lose speed and prop is coming out of water. My hole shot is amazing. It planes out almost immediately. I weigh 210 and I usually carry my son he is about 130... 8 rods, tackle bag, 2 batteries, 12 gal of fuel on avg, 1 small bag cooler. Do I need a jackplate? Do I need to change the pitch of the prop? I can afford to lose a little hole shot. Thanks!

You need a prop, jackplate and some hands on help. Start with a 6 inch plate, Propshaft 3 1/2 inches below Hull bottom and a 22 inch cupped stainless prop. Get a water pressure gauge and slowly experiment. It'll be a different boat immediately

3. Member
    Like Babylon said,definitely need a 6" plate,water pressure gauge and a 20 or 22 Raker,depending on top end rpm. You might try a Trophy + 21 too,it should bow lift better than a Raker.I ran that same hull with a Johnson 140 years ago and it was a little hard to get good bow lift due to small prop diameter. I had some extra cup added to the prop. For what it was,it was pretty quick little boat then.

4. Member
    Thanks for the help guys!! I let you know how things progress!

5. Member
    Check that transom because it has wood it in and they rotted.

6. Member
    Yes they did...ask me how I know.