1985 Procraft 1650v with 1985 Johnson 115 V4 - Working on setup... Need more speed!

I have a Procraft 1650 bass boat with Johnson 115. I am running a 21 pitch prop (what came on it), no jackplate. My hole shot is awesome, boat planes off almost immediately. I weigh 210 and I usually carry my son that ways 135. We don't have a ton of tackle, 8 rods, tackle bag, 2 batteries, 12 gals of fuel average, small cooler bag. I am averaging 41 to 43 mph (GPS). I feel like I should be getting more speed...??? I have read about boats that are 17ft running in the 50s with a 115 (I know every boat is different). What could I do to increase speed? Jackplate? SS prop? Different prop pitch? I can afford to lose a little hole shot, again because its really good. Thanks for your help !
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    put a mercury behind it

3. Member
    Putting aside the very helpful and I am sure very much appreciated advice of procraft1990 (smh) you need to post your RPMs at WOT. Without that, any prop advice would simply be guessing.

4. Member
    WOT at 5400-5500 RPMS I am running 41... any more trim and I am losing speed and prop is coming out of the water.

5. Pat Goff
    Then your prop is a turd. You need a prop that can carry your trim angle.
    A 20" raker will probably be your ticket. I wouldn't spend any more than getting the prop right.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Member
    ok so I ran everything again yesterday to verify... I know its been a while. from 5400 to 5500 WOT I am running 41 in the slick (maybe slight chop here and there). I can trim to there (5400-5000 RPMS), anything more and the prop sounds like its coming out of the water and I lose speed. Again the prop is a 12.75 x 21p aluminum. I also noticed yesterday that its not fully getting up on pad.... meaning I am spraying water out of the sides of the boat, unlike when its on pad and you have little spray on the sides. Should I go up or down in prop pitch. I would think up like maybe a 23? again looking for speed but also efficiency.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Then your prop is a turd. You need a prop that can carry your trim angle.
    A 20" raker will probably be your ticket. I wouldn't spend any more than getting the prop right.
    Here's your answer! He knows what he's talking about!!

8. Member
    I am having trouble finding a 12.75 x20p raker.... will other diameter sizes fit on my motor?

9. Member
    Any Raker made for your motor which should have a 13 spline shaft will fit. Should be 13.5 dia. x 20" pitch.

10. Member
    There is a 20" raker for sale on Ebay that will fit your motor.

11. Member
    I had a 1983 Pro Craft 1650 with a Mercury 115 inline 6. I ran a 21" pitch stainless Mercury prop (don't know diameter). It lifted and got on the pad well. It showed 55 mph on speedo (no gps at the time); don't remember the rpms. It was probably, more accurately, running about 50 mph. It was a fun boat.

12. Pat Goff
    Ok, let's review basics.
    Right now, your current prop cannot hold your boat under full power/full trim. You have decisions/choices:
    Don't do anything and nothing changes.
    You can lower your motor to let your current prop have more water to work in.
    You can change prop to something that can carry a trim angle at your current motor height.

That's about it, once you get your prop right, everything follows, but until the prop is right, NOTHING will be right.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

13. Member
    Thanks Pat! So if I lowered the motor, do you think the 21 could hold it up?

IMO, you're never going to get there with the aluminum prop. And, if the prop has nicks/dings in it, forget about it. Follow Pat's advice and find you a Stainless Raker. You not only need bow lift, but stern lift as well to get that relatively heavy boat up out of the water.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

Scrap the aluminum prop. Raise it up, lower it down, your just wasting time trying to improve your performance with aluminum. If you want maximum performance from your boat, you HAVE to get a stainless prop.

16. Pat Goff
    UNTIL the prop is right, nothing is right, that aluminum beer can will never be the right prop. Ever.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

Mine runs 50 but not with a "ton" of tackle and another big passenger. I'm 46mph with full load and two big men.