Garmin heading sensor

I have 2, echomap 93sv chirps, and I'm interested in installing the new headisng sensor. As far as I can tell I need a nmea 2000 starter kit, and the sensor unit. When all hooked up will this give me heading sensor readings on both units? Also has anyone else installed this that can give me some tips?

2. Member
    Yes. If the heading sensor and both units are connected via the NMEA 2000 network, the sensor will work on both units.

I just ordered the Garmin SteadyCast to replace the Lowrance Point One heading sensor I've been using for a couple years. I found the Lowrance to be extremely sensitive to magnetic interference and I'm hoping the Garmin will be better. My boat is small so there seems to be interference everywhere. Do you know where you intend to mount it? Before permanently mounting, be sure to test it thoroughly with all equipment up and running.

The SteadyCast heading sensor is shared among all MFDs via NMEA 2000, can be mounted in any orientation, and also can be mounted under the deck or console (doesn’t need line of sight with sky). Yes, magnetic interference must be accounted for. A good way to do this is with double stick tape to temporarily mount and test the SteadyCast to find the best spot for least interference. I have found on typical bass boats, the area halfway between the console and bow seems to have the least amount of magnetic interference. For example, I have mine mounted completely out of the way, inside the starboard rod locker on the inside wall (approximately halfway between bow and console). Mounting under the driver's console can also work well, but in my specific case, I have a stereo speaker mounted directly under the console which eliminated this location.
    Last edited by Todd Driscoll; 03-29-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    Garmin Pro Team

4. Member
    I'm using the SteadyCast. I really like it. Never loses heading. Before I mounted it, I took a handheld compass to verify the location. This is my first experience with a heading sensor so I can't compare it to something else. Very satisfied with it. Once mounted I did have to calibrate it but that was a piece of cake.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    I am thinking of ordering a SteadyCast and have a question. Does it always keep your map oriented in the correct position or does it simply show a icon showing direction bow of boat is. I hate it when trolling really slow with live bait and the map is not actually showing correctly.

6. Member
    The orientation of the map is your choice. It's a menu option. Some people prefer always having North Up with the boat icon. Personally I prefer having the Heading Up. Both are technically correct but the Heading Up is more intuitive for me. And so far, the orientation is always correct; sitting still, WOT, whatever. Big difference now.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    The orientation of the map is your choice. It's a menu option. Some people prefer always having North Up with the boat icon. Personally I prefer having the Heading Up. Both are technically correct but the Heading Up is more intuitive for me. And so far, the orientation is always correct; sitting still, WOT, whatever. Big difference now.
    Thanks for the speedy reply, I should have been more specific. I always running "Heading Up" but there are times at very slow speed you had no idea. It sounds like the SteadyCast resolves that. I understand that in order for GPS to work you have to be moving to determine direction so I am clear on the function of that. Just was not clear on SteadyCast and you explained it well. Also had received a PM from Todd that answered my question. Thanks guys..great site for information!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Thank you