AR Triggers Timney or Geissele or???

My AR has a gritty trigger and a pull weight over 6.5. I am looking for a smoother trigger
    (single or double stage) with a pull around 4lbs. I don't want to break the bank either.
    If you have other triggers under $200, I am open to all suggestions.
    I am looking at the below triggers. Since I can't feel any of them, I am asking for your opinions and why.

Thanks for your input in advance.

GEISSELE AR15 2 Stage Trigger, G2S (05-145)

Timney Single Stage Competition Trigger - 4 pound - 668-S

LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

I put a Timney in my R-15. Made a huge difference. Not sure if it's the same model as above but it did cost about $200.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

My Dad has timneys in all of his ar's. 3# I think. That is what I'm going to put in mine in the near future.

4. Member
    If you are keeping it under $200 then you have already narrowed it down to 2 of the best Choices. Personally I would get the LaRue MBT-2. From the guys I know who shoot 3-gun, they are by far some of the best triggers out there for the $. Some will say they are better than the SSA triggers. I cannot speak personally for that, but that is just what I hear & read as well.

Geissele has a very large following for a reason, they make some of the Best 2-stg triggers out there.

I have not used or shot many with Timney, so I will not speculate or compare them to what I know. From a stock Mil-Spec trigger to upgrade would be a BCM-PNT or a ALG Defense ACT type. The LaRue & Geissele 2-stage is definitely a step up from even those as well.

I have a BCM-PNT in one of my builds & feels pretty good IMO. No grit & clean break about 5.5ish. Reset is spot on with no over-travel travel at all, quick & precise. Stock S&W has always had a crappy FG IMO.....the BCM or ALG is def a step up, but a 2-stage is a leap forward

that's just my .02 though

5. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Thanks R.D. I have not made up my mind yet, but leaning towards the LARUE and the price is right. Just have to wait a month for delivery but worth it from
    all what I have ready. I have been looking hard at the ALG ACT and putting JP 3.5 springs in them I can do that for $70. But then the LARUE is $125 for
    a 2 stage. I have to make my mind up soon. Thanks for your 2 cents. I always appreciate input
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

You might also take a look at the POF line of triggers. I have one in my .300 Blackout, and really like it.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

7. Member
    POF set themselves apart in the AR-10 market & they have very good quality components, but I don't think they are any better or stronger in that category than the rest listed in an AR-15. They make some very unique sets with Skeleton type as well as some of there 2-st g as well. But can be a very tough comparison when put up against the SSA as well as the MBT-2.......again, nothing wrong with them, just my opinion, I know they vary as well

Tim, keep in mind when you put a lower spring rate in a 1-stg trigger, you increase the change of a light strike. The only advantage of have the JP springs is to enhance some of the lighter trigger groups as well as few other things. Yes they have been successful in a lot of builds, some even listed here on the BBC. Personally, I like a much more pronounced/tactile break than worrying about another Lb or so less pull on it. You can get very use to firing with a 4-5lb trigger as you can a 2-3. It's just a matter of how good it is manufactured.

I recommend The Geiselle SSAE!!!!! Whatta trigger!

9. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 65panhed View Post
    I recommend The Geiselle SSAE!!!!! Whatta trigger!
    Well, I know you have good taste if you have a '65 Pan. Had a chopper years back with a Iron Head in it. Talk about pissing blood.
    Sold it and got a Soft Tail custom. Then a Road king (didn't like the road king much) My last ride was a Fatboy and loved it.
    Sold it due to back problems with surgery. BOY I sure miss the wind in my face...
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

10. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I went with the LaRUE MBT-2S trigger. I talked to a few who had various triggers and they all agree that
    the LaRue was the best trigger for the money. Many compared it to the $250 Geissele.
    Thanks to all who replied. This ones for you >
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    I went with the LaRUE MBT-2S trigger. I talked to a few who had various triggers and they all agree that
    the LaRue was the best trigger for the money. Many compared it to the $250 Geissele.
    Thanks to all who replied. This ones for you >
    I would have went the same way. Let us know what you experience; felt differences between a LaRue and a run of the mill $40 trigger group.

12. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I will post when I install it and test it at the range. I also have a trigger meter (poundage tester) and will post the stages. Thanks
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

13. Member
    I have a Rock River Arms 2 stage in my rifle, it is good and under 200$

14. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    I will post when I install it and test it at the range. I also have a trigger meter (poundage tester) and will post the stages. Thanks
    Well all finished with the LaRue MBT 2S trigger (http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger)
    It was an easy 5 minute install. The price is WAY LOW for the quality of the trigger components. In the shipped box I received some stickers, and a catalog
    and a few copies of the US Constitution. These guys are pure patriots in every sense of the word.
    As I was saying, the install was very easy and they even included an extra HD spring if you wanted the actual MIL-SPEC pull. I put my trigger guage on it and
    it averaged 4.5 pounds with 6 pulls. Very crisp and clean break. I am very impressed with this LaRue MBT trigger.
    I had it in 4 days and only paid for "I am in no hurry" price.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Hey Pokie jus gettin back online after crashing 01 Roadking 4/6. I'm not sure you can go wrong with any name brand trigger! Good luck with the Larue. My sig 516 had a single stage Wilson Combat in it when I got it. R&R to the SSAE and I love it. when researching, I thought that if Geieselle was good enuff for special forces, it would do for me. Always keep your eyes on places like Primary Arms. I got the SSAE for 180 + 8 shipping. Enjoy your rifle, I'm gonna layy around for another 8-12 weeks.