Looking for info form anyone running a CMC Hydraulic Jack Plate on a 201

I have a '98 201 with a manual jack plate and I'm looking into a hydraulic plate. I've read great things on the CMC but I'm wondering if 8" is enough or if I need to look at 10"
    Curtis Harms 1999 Cobra DC 201, 225 Mercury E.F.I.

2. Member
    I've heard great things about 12" on the 201. My dad's has an 8" and we really feel that it is nowhere near enough. A 10" might be just fine as well. As for CMC, I have a 5.5" on my 188d with a bob's 4" setback and I am not happy with it at all. It grabs tons of water when trying to get on plane because of the design. This makes for a really slow planing time. I'm actually considering just getting a 12" Bob's manual, with the splash pan to prevent grabbing water, that can eventually be upgraded to hydraulic. Bottom line, I personally wouldn't get another CMC, and 10" may be just fine, but I'd go with a 12".

Hope that helps

3. Member
    Thanks, do you have a gauge for your plate? I'm wondering if the gauge is worth the extra money
    Curtis Harms 1999 Cobra DC 201, 225 Mercury E.F.I.

4. Member
    The gauge is totally necessary IMO. Every load is slightly different, but I always had a starting range with the gauge. It makes getting to peak performance much easier. Also means you don't have to look back at the jackplate to see if it's high or low.
    Last edited by dmoshag; 03-29-2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Spelling...

5. Member
    I'm running a 10 inch Bob's on my 201 and I love it. I thought about a 6 or 8 at first but decided on the 10. I really haven't notice much for top end speed performance but shallow water running and getting up on pad in shallow water is extremely helpful. I also highly recommend getting the gauge. You don't want to have to look back while running and adjusting it and with the gauge you will learn the sweet spots over time. Good Luck..

6. Member
    Atlas.