Riptide cheaper - Why?

Why are the Ripetide trolling motors cheaper than the other Minn Kota trolling motors? I can buy a Riptide i-Pilot considerably cheaper than any other i-Pilot and this seems to hold true for other Riptide models. Is the Riptide an inferior product compared to the other Minn Kota's? I would have thought the opposite because the Riptides are built to handle salt water are they not?

2. Member
    Most of the Riptides do not include a footpedal.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Are the new ipilot boards in the riptide yet? Or are they still new old stock? Also do they have the off assist of the new terrova? But no riptides should be every bit as good as Terrovas, just cosmetics for the salt boys.

4. Member
    Riptides are the new Bluetooth capable units just like the regular Terrova and Ulterra lines

5. Member
    I have only had one trolling motor that was bow mounted and therefore foot operated. I don't care for the pedal. It seems to be hard to control with any precision. It either turns to far or not far enough so I may have to think about getting a riptide to save some money. I think a hand held remote would be easier to control the TM with anyway.

6. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by October1 View Post
    I have only had one trolling motor that was bow mounted and therefore foot operated. I don't care for the pedal. It seems to be hard to control with any precision. It either turns to far or not far enough so I may have to think about getting a riptide to save some money. I think a hand held remote would be easier to control the TM with anyway.
    I have been running 7 years with either the original i-Pilot or now, i-Pilot Link - and I can't hardly give my PDv2 pedal away...LOL
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    I have been running 7 years with either the original i-Pilot or now, i-Pilot Link - and I can't hardly give my PDv2 pedal away...LOL
    Thanks for reinforcing what I was thinking. A Riptide may be in my future.

BTW, I think I have seen you a couple other places around the internet. On another forum and I think on a local facebook fishing group that I occasionally visit. One of these days I think I may try to corner you to pick your brain a little on fishing. Like maybe about walleye. If I wasn't such a night owl and could get up before noon I probably would have already tried do it, but if you're the guy I'm thinking of your more of a morning fisherman.

8. Member
    I just purchased a new Terrova and thought about that question when I was looking at them. The 'basic' Riptide was slightly less. I don't fish salt but with a cheaper price it made me interested. As was said, they don't come with a foot pedal. When I put the I Pilot on and the 80 ft lbs 24 volt, and 60" it was a wash. Except the Terrova came with a foot pedal. While I would rather use the remote, the dealer said, "Store the pedal on the boat somewhere. If the remote batteries ever go out you can still control it". Worked for me. Got the Terrova. Got it mounted on a removable mount, mounted the heading sensor, connected with the remote and ran it on the trailer. Have not had it in the water yet. Maybe tomorrow?

9. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by October1 View Post
    Thanks for reinforcing what I was thinking. A Riptide may be in my future.

BTW, I think I have seen you a couple other places around the internet. On another forum and I think on a local facebook fishing group that I occasionally visit. One of these days I think I may try to corner you to pick your brain a little on fishing. Like maybe about walleye. If I wasn't such a night owl and could get up before noon I probably would have already tried do it, but if you're the guy I'm thinking of your more of a morning fisherman.
    I'm not on facebook - and I do get around the 'net a little bit.

As far as morning fisherman, usually at this time of year and late fall winter before the water's turned to stone; you may see me coming to the ramp at around daylight - which does qualify for morning.....

If you want to pick my brain, please keep in mind you won't get much to eat.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/