2016 18 TRX with Mercury 200 Pro XS with Fury 24

This is an update to a thread I posted last year when I purchased my new (first) Triton. From dealer propeller shaft was 4 and 1/4 below pad and boat did not handle well at all. Raised motor on 6 in manual jack plate to 3 1/2 below pad and test drove today. Boat is handling much better. Still walking some but seems like I will be able to manage with more seat time. Still only hitting 64 mph on GPS at approx 5,400 rpm. Motor still has less than 10 hours on it. Planning to raise motor another 1/4 in before next trip to the lake. I have two Talons and I am laying them down on rear deck to cut down on wind drag as I have the swivel brackets. So far I'm only running with half a tank of fuel, half a dozen rods and not much tackle and other stuff. I must say I'm beginning to wonder if this motor can get this rig to 70 mph like some say they are doing. Or is it the Fury prop? How can I tell when I have 10 hrs on the motor?

2. Member
    Hours can be viewed on a Mercmonitor, or Computer Diagnostic System.

3. TritonBoats2017
    You should be getting better numbers with your set up .

4. Member
    I run a 23 Tempest + on my 19 XS with 200HP. I see 69-70 every time out with 2 ten foot Talons and 3 AGM batteries. Of note; it is not recommended to tilt the Talons down when driving or trailering.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250L Pro XS TM
    SER# 2B575047

5. Member
    Of note; it is not recommended to tilt the Talons down when driving or trailering.

Do you know of a reason?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BGSwans View Post
    Of note; it is not recommended to tilt the Talons down when driving or trailering.

Do you know of a reason?
    From the Talon Website: "Designed for temporary clearance - not intended for transport (on water or trailering)." I assume they are not made to stand up to the stress of flexing with bouncing around.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250L Pro XS TM
    SER# 2B575047

That's 9% slip which is pretty good. If you can maintain that and get the motor up to 5750 RPM then you'll be going about 68 mph which I think is pretty zippy in an 18 footer. If you've got good water pressure then I do as you plan and raise the motor a bit more.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

8. Member
    That's what I would have guessed. I tie mine down so they can't move.

9. Member
    Thanks. Will post results as things progress.

10. Member
    There is only one plug in my prop. The other two holes are open. Does that sound right?

11. Member
    There is only one plug in my prop. The other two holes are open. Does that sound right?

When I ran a fury on mine it had 1 solid plug and 2 open holes. Holeshot was good
    2016 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS

12. Member
    No it doesn't....... 3 blade Fury props should not have any PVS plugs installed.

I would try a 24 temptest plus if you have a friend or someone who can loan you one. I was running a 25 fury with my 19 xs (225 pro XS torquemaster LU) and was only getting 63 with full fuel, LWs, two people and a tournament load. I switched to a 25 temptest plus and started getting way better hole shots and getting into the lower 70s with the same load.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

14. Member
    Thanks. I may give the Tempest plus a try if I can't get my rpms up with this prop.