Thread: Ranger Quality

Ranger Quality

Hey Everyone! I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the Ranger quality. I know Ranger has always been top notch but how has the quality been since Johnny Morris has taken over? I'm looking at getting a new boat soon because my Skeeter FX has been a complete nightmare with its problems. Looking heavily at Ranger, but just hope there quality hasn't been sacrificed due to Bass Pro buying them. I always had thought that was the worst thing that could have happen to Ranger but that's just my opinion. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    2017 Skeeter FX20LE

2. Member
    My guess is the best brand right now for quality would be Basscat.

I've read a lot of bad stories of new boats with quality issues from Ranger, from both customers and dealers. I think the days of the perfect delivered Ranger boats are gone. I think it's just too costly in todays market to deliver the top notch quality that Ranger was able to deliver in the 80's and 90's.

That being said, knowing all this, I still ordered a brand new Ranger. I plan to insect it with a fine tooth comb before taking possession, and, if there are any issues, to let my dealer deal with them. At the price point the new Rangers are at, I do have high expectations for quality.

Hard to answer that question not knowing what quality means to you...Ranger is still using the same materials in the same manufacturing facility, still building their own trailers..I doubt that someone looking for a perfect boat will find one anywhere. My 2016 met my expectations of quality...I looked at 7 boats at the classic expo, They all looked like Ranger quality to me...

4. Member
    Quality is something I can fish with confidence and that something isn't going to break or stop working. My 14 FX is far from quality. Loved the boat and the ride but it's had stress fractures in the hull fixed 3 times, then last year it went back to the skeeter plant to be fixed and is cracking again. Hit some rough water this past weekend (nothing to bad) and both seat bottoms broke. Screws aren't countersunk, just look like it was built by a bunch of monkeys. My warranty runs out in may and waiting to see what skeeter is gonna do. Currently searching for a good lawyer just in case.
    2017 Skeeter FX20LE

5. Member
    I was at the Classic and spoke to the factory reps and there ain't nothing changing except people high up the quality is still the same and built exactly the same and you will be happy you bought the Ranger they are still quality and built to last.

6. Member
    I bought a 2016 Z-520 and is hands down best quality boat i have ever owned. Previous boats were a 2012 nitro Z-9 and a 2006 Skeeter ZX-225.

7. Member
    If I was in the market, I would buy a new Ranger without hesitation.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    If I was in the market, I would buy a new Ranger without hesitation.
    I agree with Bob. Whether you order a new boat or buy one off the lot, just take your time and look it over carefully. With new Rangers, 99.9% of the time there won't be any serious (like structural) issues. Maybe a tiny cosmetics issue, but if you find one/some and it bothers you, don't buy. If there's a wiring problem or suchlike, you have 3 years of factory warranty on that kind of item to iron out every issue. Do your due diligence, work with the dealer, and you'll be fine--better than fine. But you must be realistic. The 1000% perfect boat does not exist. And if it did, I'd hit a dock with it the first time out and ruin the perfection anyway!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. Member
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm gonna see if I can find a 16 left over, but in my search it's been somewhat difficult to find one with a SHO on it. Having that motor on my Skeeter I absolutely love it, and want to find one with it. Thanks again!
    2017 Skeeter FX20LE

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorjumper82 View Post
    Quality is something I can fish with confidence and that something isn't going to break or stop working. My 14 FX is far from quality. Loved the boat and the ride but it's had stress fractures in the hull fixed 3 times, then last year it went back to the skeeter plant to be fixed and is cracking again. Hit some rough water this past weekend (nothing to bad) and both seat bottoms broke. Screws aren't countersunk, just look like it was built by a bunch of monkeys. My warranty runs out in may and waiting to see what skeeter is gonna do. Currently searching for a good lawyer just in case.
    Only thing that has broke on my Z521c that has broke...is the fing Mercury I love my opti though...I think you would be very happy with the quality of a Ranger boat. Comparatively when I look at another brand with equal care and the same amount of use, the Ranger always looks in better condition. Dont expect perfection..because they do come out of the factory with flaws..as does every brand of car..boat..truck..etc. I highly encourage you to find a boat you can get out in and fish/run around..as well as look over closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorjumper82 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm gonna see if I can find a 16 left over, but in my search it's been somewhat difficult to find one with a SHO on it. Having that motor on my Skeeter I absolutely love it, and want to find one with it. Thanks again!
    Here are some 2017's with SHO's

http://www.premier-yamaha.com/defaul...=z520c&vt=boat

http://www.premier-yamaha.com/defaul...=z521c&vt=boat

12. Member
    Is there a big difference between the 520 and 520c? Thanks.
    2017 Skeeter FX20LE

13. Member
    I'd buy a Z520 non C if I was buying new. It has enough options for me.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

14. Member
    I would go with a Ranger......for many reasons. No boat will be perfect coming out of the plant. I'm convinced they will be minimized with Ranger and if there are any issues simply call Ranger.

I think one thing that is not stated enough is trailer quality. One of the main reasons I traded was trailer condition. The Ranger trailer is second to none.
    My 14, maybe a freak in the boat world but has been perfect.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

16. Member
    I've pretty much made my mind up. If Skeeter doesn't replace the boat then I'm making the switch to Ranger.
    2017 Skeeter FX20LE

I don't believe the manufacturing process has changed at all. If Morris changes anything at all, in my opinion, it'll be with the dealers who sell Rangers and not in the making of the boat. I have had several Rangers now and each one has met my needs in every aspect and the resale value holds up better than any other Bass boat on the market.