7'6" xh Hammer vs. 764C Dobyn's

Can anyone offer a comparison in the power and actions of the Hammer 7'6" xh (not the swim bait rod) and the Dobyn's 764c ?

2. Member
    I do not have that particular Hammer rod. I do have a couple of other Hammer rods and I am impressed with them. I have a Dobyns 764c and for a bottom dragger for C-rigs etc it is just ok. My thoughts are the Hammer would be a better rod but I really can't say for sure. But I really like the two Hammer rods I have.

3. Member
    Possibly some help. Hammer rods are apparently a lot of rod for the money.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=798849

You can find some reviews on other sites as well.

4. Member
    Thanks.I understand they are both good rods.I'm trying to decide which of these two would be a better choice for Glide baits,Ploppers,other moving treble hook baits in the 1-11/2oz range.My guess is the Hammer will be a little slower in action which is good.I just don't want it to be overpowering.

5. Member
    Might want to wait for these.....Evergreen Combat. The 7'3" heavy glass looks perfect for the applications you mentioned.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phippy View Post
    Might want to wait for these.....Evergreen Combat. The 7'3" heavy glass looks perfect for the applications you mentioned.
    Very interesting.EG came up with a more affordable rod than the Heracles Leopard. Can't wait to see some reviews on them as far as weight and balance.TT should be on top it I would think.Thanks for the link.I may put in a pre-order for the 7'3"Hvy(not glass).Not too sure about the camo handle.Reminds me of the rods Jimmy Houston is selling.On a side note one of the videos I watched had Brett Hite explaining they are "exactly" the same as the Leopard rod that he was using.Sure it is,just $425 cheaper
    Last edited by jiggerjake; 03-29-2017 at 08:53 PM.

7. Member
    I wouldn't use the 764c for that application. I have done so before and lost too many fish on it. I'd recommend the 736CB Glass from the Dobyn's lineup. Can't comment on the Hammer rods, sorry!
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Thanks.I understand they are both good rods.I'm trying to decide which of these two would be a better choice for Glide baits,Ploppers,other moving treble hook baits in the 1-11/2oz range.My guess is the Hammer will be a little slower in action which is good.I just don't want it to be overpowering.
    Ive got a 7 foot heavy and extra heavy hammer and I think the extra heavy would be good for the baits you mentioned. It's a stout rod but still has a pretty nice action to it. Call and talk to Brian at the Tackle Trap and he will be able to tell you for sure because I haven't personally thrown anything that heavy with mine.