Thru hull transducer not reading depth at high speeds...

I am running a helix 9 SI at the dash and I also bought the high speed shoot thru hull transducer as well. Got it out for first time today and it was not picking up my depth running at high speed, reading 1.7 feet the same as when I was just running only the SI transducer...is the thru hull transducer supposed to show up in my "network" tab? It is only showing that I have my SI transducer connected and also my dual beam transducer up front. I have the Y-cable connecting the two at the helm, and I checked both and they are for sure in all the way...any ideas? I was not able to test the location where I installed since there was only really 1 spot to install it in the back, which I THINK was the most logical place to put it anyhow, but even if it were in bad location, wouldn't it at least be trying to read my depth at high speeds even if it was sporatic? any help much appreciated, thanks.

The Y cable makes the shoot thru transducer electrically appear to be part of the SI transducer ...... nothing in the network tab.

You are demonstrating the reason testing is advised....This location doesn't seem to be good.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

3. Member
    If you are using a Y cable you will only get 2D with your shoot thru ducer. Sounds like it is too far back and won't read if it's out of the water

In the Ethernet menu, you choose the source for 2D sonar, DI, SI, Temp and GPS or any other network accessories.

The source of the sonar data is the unit they are connected to.

If you don't have the console unit as a source for Sonar in the bow unit's Ethernet menu, the shoot-thru is either not connected or does not work.

Even if you screw up the installation of the shoot-thru, it would still be a choice in the menu.

To test where the issue is, disconnect both of the console unit's transducers from the Y cable and plug just the SI transducer into the console unit. Check both unit's Ethernet menu for a Sonar source.

Next disconnect the SI transducer and just plug the shoot-thru into the console unit, check the Ethernet menus for a Sonar source. If the transducer is faulty you won't see the console units as a Sonar source.

If both tests show both units have Sonar, then the Y cable is either bad or you did not connect the shoot-thru correctly to the Y cable.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    If you're NOT getting reading only @ hi speed - the installation wasn't tested properly before the XDCR was fastened.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

6. Member
    Thanks for the info guys!

7. Member
    When running up on pad, I've never had a true depth reading. Always run locations where you are comfortable. I have seen others say they read depth at 70 mph, but realistically you better be in water you know.

Quote Originally Posted by glasscat View Post
    When running up on pad, I've never had a true depth reading. Always run locations where you are comfortable. I have seen others say they read depth at 70 mph, but realistically you better be in water you know.
    I remember the one time I was lucky enough to fish on Table Rock, I went BLASTING into a creek arm and caught my personal best largemouth. After fishing a bit longer, I found a tree top just under the surface with my trolling motor. This was in the area I came into on plane!
    Agree completely, you better be in water you know! That was and is the LAST TIME I go blasting into a creek on The Rock at 70MPH.
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

9. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Yep, it's not the speed that will wreck your day, it's the sudden STOP that'll put a kink in yer upper lip!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

10. Member
    Share a pic of the install location and also where it is under the boat. What kind of boat?

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

11. Fishing is a Passion
    It sounds like the transducer is located too far forward, so that when you are on pad the transducer is actually out of the water, even being a shoot thru, this can happen.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

12. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    It sounds like the transducer is located too far forward, so that when you are on pad the transducer is actually out of the water, even being a shoot thru, this can happen.

Yes Sir....
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

At one point, I had a small section of Hamby's keel guard hanging loose at the most rearward point. Having it drag in the water at full blast was enough to cause air bubbles in the water that broke up my signal. It doesn't take much...
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Humminbird
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Power Pole Blades

14. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Member
    in the top picture...the X is about where it is located, but a little further back. Second picture the circle is roughly where its at...

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BucketMouth1 View Post
    in the top picture...the X is about where it is located, but a little further back. Second picture the circle is roughly where its at...
    That upper step isn't in the water on plane.

17. Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Do you get readings when you idle, and then lose bottom when you get up on pad? That would be why, as the transducer isn't on the pad it's on the step. I'd move that down onto the pad nearest center on a flat surface (nearest the drain plug).

18. Member
    yup, you live and u learn i guess...it seamed nearly impossible to get down into the area where the bottom drain plug is, and we weren't aware of the "upper step" at the time, just me being in too big of a hurry to get the thing on

Quote Originally Posted by BucketMouth1 View Post
    yup, you live and u learn i guess...it seamed nearly impossible to get down into the area where the bottom drain plug is, and we weren't aware of the "upper step" at the time, just me being in too big of a hurry to get the thing on
    Yuck... now the "break it off" process begins.... or more dollars.
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Humminbird
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Power Pole Blades

20. Member
    It usually is nearly impossible! For me, I had to remove a battery, onboard charger, two support trays, and remove a bunch of hoses for livewell plumbing to gain access to that area. It's quite a bit of work, but worth it in order to get a solid reading. Just take a small 2x4 and put it against the transducer and give it a whack and it should pop loose. The biggest thing is prepping the area properly when you re-mount this one if you are going to do that. I used a wire wheel on a cordless drill and some sandpaper. Clean up the area really good before you start in to put in the transducer. I used plumbers putty to build a dam for the epoxy, put the epoxy in, transducer in and then set something with just a little bit of weight on top of it and let it cure for 24 hours. Then go to work re-assembling everything you took apart!