OPINIONS PLEASE....Pontoon Boat Log Sealing!

Ok Guys, I have a 24 year old Pontoon. It only has 300 hours on it and is basically like a new boat with the exception that the Logs seep water, more than I like.
    There is noticeable pitting in the Aluminum below waterline and I found several leaks by pressurizing the tanks.
    OK, so I bust out the TIG and there's too much buildup of Aglae on the inside of the tanks from holding years of moisture to do any welding!
    My Question is what do you think of spraying the complete tanks with a Smooth Bedliner, w/o the texture???

The company Durabak can be had with or without the texture and in different colors!
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

2. Member
    Are the Logs the U-shape. If they are there is no good way to stop the leaking. My uncle has a 1988 Lowe with these logs. To fix this issue we put bilge pumps in both logs with an auto switch.

3. Member
    No, they're round and in 4 chambers each!
    That Polypropylene Bed Liner should seal anything!

4. Member
    Should hold/seal unless it flexes a lot .

5. Member
    If mine were that old...and the coating wasn't too expensive, I'd try it! If not...there's always flex-seal.

6. Banned
    First step would be to find the leaks. Usually they are in the welds and seams. You lightly pressurize (5 psi max.) the toons and go over the toons with soapy water--starting at the seams.

Sometimes pinholes are found that can be easily TIG welded. Sometimes you have to drill holes out before welding. Sometimes owners will use JB Weld and it will seal up tiny holes.

I have an 1985 Starcraft with foam filled U tubes and it doesn't leak at all.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    First step would be to find the leaks. Usually they are in the welds and seams. You lightly pressurize (5 psi max.) the toons and go over the toons with soapy water--starting at the seams.

Sometimes pinholes are found that can be easily TIG welded. Sometimes you have to drill holes out before welding. Sometimes owners will use JB Weld and it will seal up tiny holes.

I have an 1985 Starcraft with foam filled U tubes and it doesn't leak at all.
    As stated earlier, the leaks on these tubes are from seapage through many tiny pin holes where the boat was stored in a covered wet stall. Many years of setting in water caused some corrosion below the water line. They c`an't be TIG or MIG welded because of the contamination inside the tubes.
    It has been about a year since I've used the bed liner, (without the texture), and they seem to be doing just fine EXCEPT I have had to recoat the very lower front several times due to scuffing when I beach or load on the trailer.
    The last time I repaired the scuffing, I used some flex seal in the areas which where scuffing. The jury's still out on this as I did this last Fall and haven't used the boat since! I'll post again later!
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe