Thread: Ultrex Caution

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Ultrex Caution

This past Saturday was my third trip with my new Ultrex 52/80 I Pilot Link. We were at a very small timber infested, big bass haven. We were on the TM all day...didn't even start the big motor until I put the boat on the trailer.

We had fished one side of the lake and was heading across the only open water on the whole lake to fish the other side. I had the Ultrex on Auto Pilot at about 7 or 8...we were clipping along pretty good. I was bent over with my hands on my knees watching the Helix on SI and concentrating on it. Out of nowhere there's a 3" or 4" limb sticking up out of the water. What happened after I yelled, "HANG ON!!", is sort of a blur....we hit the limb and that sent the boat off to the left which in turn sent me off to the right...I don't know exactly how, but I ended up clinging to the butt seat on my belly (sort like planking), doing a 180 and coming down on my knees back behind the seat post. Fortunately, I didn't have a rod in my hand and nothing got kicked over.

A couple of big IF's could have made this story not quite as funny. IF...I had gone overboard and IF I had been alone, I would have been in some pretty serious shape. Remember the boat was on Auto Pilot....it was going to the other side of the lake whether I'm in the boat or not. I always clip on the motor cutoff lanyard when I run the big motor but no such thing exists for the self driving Ultrex.

So, I have learned a big lesson that I would like to pass on. The Ultrex is a wonderful trolling motor but one should use some common sense when using the automation features. It's easy to put that thing on Auto Pilot or contour following and start wandering around the boat and letting your attention slip away from the boats trajectory or unseen hazards.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

2. Banned
    Great point!

3. Member
    Yes that is a very good point . I've been running a Xi5 for almost a year now and that has never crossed my mind . Thanks for posting this !

4. Member
    That's a great piece of advice for the users of the ultrex I'm staying with my trusty old fortress till I order my new ride, this is all technology that was developed on the pinpoint system and modified over years, we had Creek Trak, contour Trak at selected depth and everything else way back in the late 90s

Great post! Very good information. Glad you are ok.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigflipr76 View Post
    Great post! Very good information. Glad you are ok.
    +1 Something most people, including me, would never think about it. Thanks

7. Member
    Glad to hear you didn't get hurt and that your able to tell the story to warn others Thanks

My buddy asked me to do it again so he could have his camera ready.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

9. Member
    Thank you, I too would never have thought about that scenario.

10. Member
    Is the remote control waterproof? If it is and you had it hanging around your neck, I guess you could have it come back and pick you up
    1998 Ranger 518 DVS
    1998 Evinrude Vindicator 200

11. Banned
    What's worse, having your boat drive away from you or having it start doing circles at you? If you've ever used constant on and took your foot off the pedal, you'll know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by BCB_dreams View Post
    Thank you, I too would never have thought about that scenario.
    I believe the manual says that it's water proof but doesn't float so as long as it stays around your neck you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by huntertn View Post
    Is the remote control waterproof? If it is and you had it hanging around your neck, I guess you could have it come back and pick you up
    I've thought of that. I have worn the remote around my neck a time or two. Problem is; the darn thing weighs more than most of the bass I catch. I've thought about adapting a belt clip for it.

BTW...it is waterproof and I believe I read that it also floats.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Great post man, glad it turned out ok but def something for the auto-pilot TM guys to think about!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

15. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Water proof and supposedly floats according to Minn Kota...My new Ulterra came with a neck loop and an adaptable belt loop

Great post we often forget about safety while we are out there fishing i'm getting up there in age now and believe me i thing about safety more than i ever did then when i was younger.
    Al Spinozzi
    Nazareth, PA

2004 Stratos 285 ProXL Evinrude 150

Directly from the manual:

NOTE: The remote is waterproof, but will not float.

Great heads up post..
    I had a similar incident happen a few years ago with just the auto pilot. I came very close to going over board---ever since then I'm very cautious when alone in the boat.
    PS my remote DID NOT float.

If your worried about fishing alone take steps to lessen your risk. Mustang makes an auto inflatable lifejacket that has a pocket built in. People will argue all day about inflatable life vests but Mustang has been providing protection for commercial and recreational users for a lot of years with very few failures. Then you can get a SPOT locator that will fit in the pocket and is waterproof down to 1Meter which when you go in the drink your vest inflates and the locator is only 6" underwater make it to the bank and use the alert features on SPOT to get help sent to you. All of this relies on each piece working as designed but at least you have a better chance with it.

They also sell a mini remote that is much lighter.

Glad you were ok, but you are right it could have been very bad if you fell over board.

Thanks for sharing
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast