Thread: Hull Blistering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Hull Blistering

Hey guys have a 2013 z118 I picked up last fall with very low hours. Im Hearing about this hull blistering and don't want this to happen. I ordered a set of caliber marine slides to pace on the bunks to help drain water. You guys think this will help?

2. Member
    From what I undrstand this is not an issue on your boat (btw I have the same year and model boat). I forget what year, but prior to your year, Ranger added some sort of water barrier to the manufacturing process to prevent the blistering.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

Won't be an issue on your boat.

4. mikesxpress
    Barrier coating addition "assists" in the prevention of hull blisters.
    It does not prevent it.

Many other boat MFG have been using a barrier coat of some type for many years. Ranger's recent addition of the barrier coating will definitely help the cause but wet bunks and the gelcoat we have is still an issue. And the warranty is still the same with no coverage for blistering.

Took my boat off the trailer a couple of weeks ago to fix some gouges on the pad area. Guess what, found under the outer starboard bunk (the short one) a mass of small blisters on the hull the whole length of the bunk. Found one blister on the hull under the starboard main bunk. No blisters on the port side at all. Must have skimped on the barrier coat on the starboard side.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

6. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    Must have skimped on the barrier coat on the starboard side.
    Butch post a couple pictures please. Allot of folks bought into the barrier coat fixes it nonsense. Best to hang it out there with photos so this rumor goes away.
    Bottom line is if the bunks stay wet for extended periods you will get blistering.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    Took my boat off the trailer a couple of weeks ago to fix some gouges on the pad area. Guess what, found under the outer starboard bunk (the short one) a mass of small blisters on the hull the whole length of the bunk. Found one blister on the hull under the starboard main bunk. No blisters on the port side at all. Must have skimped on the barrier coat on the starboard side.
    Think yours​ was built before barrier coat.

8. Banned
    Well, I'm gonna give these things a try. It should be just enough space to allow air flow and avoid the hull sitting on wet bunks. Also will help the boat slid off and on with more ease. I do launch in crappy ramps a lot so this should help as well. I was looking at the full plastic bunk covers, however, they are just too expensive here in Canada and no local shops have them. So I found a set of these bunk slides on Amazon for a decent price. I will try them out this spring and let everyone know how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    I was told that barrier coat started in 2010.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Butch post a couple pictures please. Allot of folks bought into the barrier coat fixes it nonsense. Best to hang it out there with photos so this rumor goes away.
    Bottom line is if the bunks stay wet for extended periods you will get blistering.
    I have already sanded them down. They were kind of slight that they sanded away without going thru the gell coat. I have been researching the best way to repair and what to use for redoing the barrier. The best I have found is to sand all the gel coat off down to the fiberglass and then lay down either a layer of West system epoxy or vinyl ester resin and then finish off by recoating with polyester gel to match the original finish. I am just waiting for some warmer weather right now so things will cure properly.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

11. Member
    its def an issue on my boat, whole bottom is COVERED in em! im talking thousands
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

12. mikesxpress
    Mark do you have pictures?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Ranger told me they started in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Ranger told me they started in 2010.
    Boat may have been built in 2010 and titled a 2011 or Ranger was generalizing when they gave you that year. If we hear of a 2012 or beyond with issues then we know for sure the barrier coat has problems. As Mike said though the barrier coat is a preventative measure so a check of your hull if the opportunity arises would be worth the effort.

15. Member
    The whole bottom of my boat is covered in these. Previous owner kept it in the water at his dock
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

16. Member
    Ouch! Wow, that is terrible!

17. mikesxpress
    Thanks Mark. I will add that to my collection.

18. Member
    Mine is a 2000 that is covered in blisters. I'll have to take of them when I get home.

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Mine is a 2000 that is covered in blisters. I'll have to take of them when I get home.
    Why don't you have someone take it to Flippin for you and it will be done when you get home, they had mine about 6 weeks......

Quote Originally Posted by SmlRanger View Post
    The whole bottom of my boat is covered in these. Previous owner kept it in the water at his dock
    Wow! Only a matter of time till they pop. I have them under my bunks and some popped already. I filled them with marine tex as a temp solution to keep using the boat. I am going to take my boat to a highly recommend shop down here soon to re do the bottom of my boat. Good luck.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast