any 203 guys running a 36v trolling motor?

is there any 203 guys running a 36v trolling motor? If so, where are your 3 batters mounted? I want to upgrade from my 24 to a 36v but I really don't think I have the room for a 4th battery. Right now on my console rear side I have the oil tank and a group 31 AGM cranking battery, and on the passenger side I have the 2 group 29 trolling motor battery and the 3 bank charger. Idea's?

2. Member
    Mount the charger on the deck lid on the cross support. I have a 203 but it's an 04 so different tank location and mine has room for whatever you want. But I had a buddy with a 202 and that's what he did and put two hydraulic arms on it and it worked perfect. Just an idea, there may be better more wiser ideas.

3. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    I dont have a 203 but a 202. I have two stood on end. I took memory foam and warped it in a/c duct tape. Than covered that with gorilla tape. This made the padding underneath and around the batteries. They dont move. I also cut a electrician blanket to cover the terminals to avoid any chance of a short. Have had this combination for a few years without a problem, I have been back and forth with a 24 volt trolling motor and a 36 sure like my 36 better The charger sit on a 1/4 inch pvc board. on top of the starter battery and oil tank.
    Fishing Texas lakes one at a time
    2000 Baltex hull 202 Elite Champion
    2016 250 pro
    8 inch Hydraulic Jack Plate
    tempest 27 work by Steve
    Hook sets are fishing reality.

4. Member
    If you want I can txt you some pictures of my set up on mine. My oil tank sits on top of the gas tank. Two batteries in driver side compartment and two batteries plus my 3 bank charger on passenger side compartment.

5. Member
    You could always get rid of the charger. No one uses it on the water. Just a thought, but I'm in the process of removing mine and replacing it with something like this....

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=744082

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 Elite203 View Post
    is there any 203 guys running a 36v trolling motor? If so, where are your 3 batters mounted? I want to upgrade from my 24 to a 36v but I really don't think I have the room for a 4th battery. Right now on my console rear side I have the oil tank and a group 31 AGM cranking battery, and on the passenger side I have the 2 group 29 trolling motor battery and the 3 bank charger. Idea's?
    i have my charger, starting battery and oil tank on driver side. Have three group 27's in passenger side

7. Member
    haha WOW guys, I am losing it (its been a long weekend with my two young boys having ear infections/fevers).

I completely forgot that at the beginning of last year I had 4 batters in my 203. I had my oil tank mounted in the center above my gas tank and then I upgraded my cranking battery and eliminated 1 battery and moved my oil tank back to the driver compartment with the cranking battery.

However I am not sure I can fit a trolling motor battery (group 27 or 29, I need to look) in the spot of my oil tank. I had a group 24 there before.

and champ203, that is a great idea with the battery charger, however I have a pro mariner tournament 300 charger on my boat which only weighs 13lbs and is a high end charger. Being only 13lbs I would just leave it in the boat.

8. Member
    In my 203 I had 4 group 27's, 2 on each side. Oil and charger in the same compartment as the tank.
    ex: 1999 Champion 203 Elite 2006 Mercury Optimax 225
    Wifey: 2017 Phoenix 919 Pro Xp Mercury 225 pro xs

9. Member
    This is why I don't run a 203. I have to bite my lip. I run a 210 and all the batteries and charger are in the bilge. I absolutely love my 2 large storage cabinets behind my seats. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the speed and handling that a 203 offers but I gotta have the storage.

i hope you find your solution. I think once you go 36 volts, you won't go back.
    GETFISHED !!!

10. Member
    Just use 3 deep cycle batteries and hook motor and accessories to one of them. Its what I do, works great!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT196 View Post
    Just use 3 deep cycle batteries and hook motor and accessories to one of them. Its what I do, works great!

thats a great way to end up stranded with a dead trolling motor, motor and electronics.

12. Member
    Well its worked for me since 1991 or I wouldnt do it!!!! Dont knock it if you havent tried it!!!

13. Member
    I can vouch for the motor battery being your third and it leaves you stranded.... Wouldn't have been so bad but it was a tournament and we had the fish to win a few hundred dollars but I was late and DQ'd. That's not fun at all!

That's a fine reason to keep one of those booster packs in your rig...many days we stay till dark and then some...when the cranking can't turn it over from a long day of use, just hook up the booster and your on your way. Noco makes a nice one that you can hook it to your troller's also and get another hour easy out of it!
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R