Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Crestliner broken transom welds

While installing some new electronics I noticed the gap between my back deck and transom looked bigger than I remembered. Upon closer inspection I found broken welds on both sides of the engine...

I'm devastated. Boat is a crestliner backwater 1870 cc. I'm pretty sure they should fix this under warranty but The Lord only knows how long that's going to take. Fishing is really starting to heat up and I'm without a boat. I sent several pics to my dealer and they are sending them on to crestliner but I'm incredibility concerned!

I launched the boat last Friday to check the new electronics. I tried to push it up on plane once to check the high speed transducer and the hull started pulling apart even worse. Basically I just dumped 5k putting new electronics on a boat I can't even use.

2. Member
    That sucks. I am sure it will get fixed but not having your boat this time of year would be painful.

Sorry for your troubles. Can you refresh our memory do you know if that transom is .100 or .125 metal. But Crestliner is a very good reputable company I'm sure they'll take care of you

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Where is this weld?.. It's hard to tell from the pics
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

5. Member
    Hull thickness is .100. I assume the transom is the same but not sure.

6. Member
    Both sides of the storage area that holds the batteries and gas tank. The walls of that storage area are welded to the transom on both sides of the motor.... Both sides are broken. I'll try to post a better pic in a few minutes.

Other pic is the transom saver I have used religiously since day one.

7. Member

Here is a zoomed out couple zoomed out pics.... One is port side of engine and one is starboard side

Quote Originally Posted by ridge_runner91 View Post
    Both sides of the storage area that holds the batteries and gas tank. The walls of that storage area are welded to the transom on both sides of the motor.... Both sides are broken. I'll try to post a better pic in a few minutes.

Other pic is the transom saver I have used religiously since day one.
    Oh ok ... I see it now.. That's moved a lot
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

9. Member
    Crestliner and Lund are built well and they stand behind them. Call them direct and give them your dealer info. I'm sure they will make it right. However it takes time to make the repairs. Good luck and keep us informed.
    Please release me,let me go.

10. Member
    What year is your boat ridge runner? Also does it have any transom braces besides being welded to in those areas?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    Oh ok ... I see it now.. That's moved a lot
    I have no idea how long it's been broken. Probably wouldn't have seen it if I wasn't installing the new transducer.

12. Member
    Boat is a 2009... I am the original owner. Glad to hear several folks saying they should take care of it. I sent my dealer several pics on Saturday and she sent them on to crestliner. Definitely update how things go

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridge_runner91 View Post
    Boat is a 2009... I am the original owner. Glad to hear several folks saying they should take care of it. I sent my dealer several pics on Saturday and she sent them on to crestliner. Definitely update how things go
    I am sure they will make it right, but you are correct, I'm sure it will take some time. Stay positive!

The weld itself just does not look like it was good quality. A proper weld should look like a smooth stack of dimes. That looks like peanut brittle on the surface with no penetration. A tack weld essentially. I believe a good welder will seam that up and it won't give any further trouble.

15. Member
    I agree.... I've heard aluminum can be tough to weld, but these welds look pretty bad. I had a buddy with some welding experience say the same thing.

I do a lot of work with a certified welder 5 minutes from my house who would probably fix it for free, but I don't want to risk losing my warranty.

16. Member
    There is a lot of work to repair that, more than likely Crestliner will have to take the transom out to inspect all the welds. I don't think they would repair the visible stuff without knowing the complete extent. Be careful if you have someone else do the work. There is foam, possible spilled fuel etc in the bilge could go south real quick.
    Please release me,let me go.

Bummer. Hate to hear it. Those welds are absolute bad welds. Bad time of the year for sure. Skeeterbait is right, should look like a stack of dimes. The welder knew they didn't do a good job on it too. What is wrong with people. Good luck with it. ON the bright side, when you get it back you will have brand new electronics to play with as well as a boat as good as new!
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak16 View Post
    There is a lot of work to repair that, more than likely Crestliner will have to take the transom out to inspect all the welds. I don't think they would repair the visible stuff without knowing the complete extent. Be careful if you have someone else do the work. There is foam, possible spilled fuel etc in the bilge could go south real quick.
    Good point.... Last thing I want to do is make a bad situation worse.

19. Banned
    Never a good thing to find. Hope you get it fixed up.

20. Member

Well I haven't heard anything from my dealer or Crestliner yet. Went back to the barn and started digging a little bit.... Here are a few more pics showing the port side breaks. I removed the gas lines to get these pics.

Good call Kodiak 16... The area below the deck is completely full of foam. I'm sure the starboard side looks the same.

With all the foam I'm pretty sure I wouldn't try to weld this myself. I was thinking of other ways to try to fix this if crestliner doesn't uphold the warranty.

I was thinking I could use 2 bolts thru the transom and aluminum angle and crank the 2 back together. One of the bolts would be above the water line and the other would be right at the water line. I would have to seal the bolts up similar to the motor mounts but I'm pretty sure it would work. Any thoughts?

I obviously don't want to drill 4 more large holes in my hull but I'm trying to think of the safest and easiest way to fix this if I have to fix this myself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast