Weld looks shitty

2. Member
    Just pop a few rivets in there and call it good

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Weld looks shitty
    You have such a way with words.

4. Member
    those welds dont look good at all. My old tracker failed the same way, and i fixed it by getting 1/4" aluminum 5 x 5 angle and bolting it through.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WileyW View Post
    You have such a way with words.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Weld looks shitty
    A Fecal weld ?
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    A Fecal weld ?
    The nice thing about fecal welds is you don't need an expensive plasma cutter to cut thru them, All you need is a nice turd cutter.

8. Member
    Crestliner really needs to step up on this, those welds are beyond shitty. Hopefully whoever did that job never picked up a welder at Crestliner or anywhere else for that matter. Makes me angry and it aint even my boat.

9. Member
    Talked to my dealer today. She said crestliner wants more info and an estimate for repairing. She made it clear that they hadn't approved the warranty work yet but I'm thinking the fact that they asked for more info and and estimate has to be a good sign.

So I took all the electronics I had just installed off of the boat and cleaned it out, because it will be sitting outside while it is there and I don't like my stuff getting soaked if I can keep from it.

I'll be taking the boat over Friday. My fingers are crossed.

10. Banned
    I will be watching how this turns out, crestliner is on my short list of boats to buy and CS is a strong factor in my final decision

11. Member
    It should be easy to fix. Any good welder can get in there with a TIG and clean that MIG garbage weld up easy with minimal spatter.

it does worry me that Crestliner asked you for an estimate. They have mechanical and structural engineers on staff that should be able to take a look and give an estimate on labor on what they can see. unfortunately without knowing how long it has been broken you have no clue on what damage has been done to the rest of the boats structure.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7 View Post
    It should be easy to fix. Any good welder can get in there with a TIG and clean that MIG garbage weld up easy with minimal spatter.

it does worry me that Crestliner asked you for an estimate. They have mechanical and structural engineers on staff that should be able to take a look and give an estimate on labor on what they can see. unfortunately without knowing how long it has been broken you have no clue on what damage has been done to the rest of the boats structure.
    Its cheaper and more convenient for them to pay someone else to do the work. Lund did that to me for a repaint. After the local guy made it worse, it went back to the factory.

If you end up getting it welded up locally.......be SURE to check out the welders work on other stuff. A good reputable welder will be able to fix you right up.

Even if you have to do it yourself, get a great local welder and you will have it fixed in no time.

This is one reason I wanted an Aluminum boat. Welding is not rocket science.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

14. Member
    I would be seriously worried about the condition of all the welds that can't be seen. I wont slam Crestliner, yet, but I will slam whoever did those welds. I really hope Crestliner steps up for the OP here.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    If you end up getting it welded up locally.......be SURE to check out the welders work on other stuff. A good reputable welder will be able to fix you right up.

Even if you have to do it yourself, get a great local welder and you will have it fixed in no time.

This is one reason I wanted an Aluminum boat. Welding is not rocket science.
    Welding isn't rocket science but welding aluminum is pretty tricky. If it's just these transom welds that are broken a GOOD local welder can fix it up pretty quick. My concern would be the welds that can't be seen. I'm not slamming Crestliner, all manufactures have stuff slip through the cracks sometimes.

16. Member
    Try telling a good welder that it's not rocket science and see where that will get you ! I work with a bunch of rocket scientist

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

17. Member
    They are MIG welding aluminum. That truly isn't rocket science...

18. Member
    Well boat was delivered to the dealer yesterday morning. I had planned on taking it over after work today but I was hoping the extra couple days would help expedite getting it back. Still no word from Crestliner as to if they are going to uphold the warranty or not. I'll update the thread as soon as I hear something.

19. Member
    Well got a call from my dealer today. Crestliner is honoring the warranty and will pay for all repairs. My dealership has the boat taken apart and will be delivering it to the certified welder today.

Hopefully I'll get my boat back no later than the end of next week.

20. Banned
    Good News

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast