tackle storage in older Ranger

I have a 2000 R83VS and I'm trying to determine the best way to create tackle storage for 360 or 370 style boxes in the center storage area on the front deck. The compartment is big enough, but the bottom of the compartment angles down from each side to the center, so I can't just put the 360 and 370 boxes in there or they just fall over because of the angle. Has anyone encountered this and come up with a good way of solving the problem? I thought about getting some thick plastic pegboard and cutting it to fit and then installing some small L brackets on the sides of the compartment, but that's the best I have thought of. Before doing that, I'd like to hear what others have done. If you have pics, that would be great as well.

I've got some of the wire box holders mounted in my 481vs, though I'm always on the lookout for something better. That being said, the "better" solutions are always mega expensive, so these could be a really cheap solution to your issue! I bought mine at Fleet Farm (definitely have those in Iowa, right?), but Tackle Warehouse and Amazon have them as well as many others I'm sure. Amazon link

Do you have a deck extension? I store my tackle in that. Assuming our boats' layouts are fairly similar, I've got an angled storage compartment ahead of my deck extension that I just put my cooler and other odds and ends into (no cooler built into the 481vs). I actually think Ranger considers that a "front livewell" on mine. It's lined like a livewell but drains to the bilge and has no plumbing. If you don't have a deck extension, building/buying one may be your best solution to storage issues. I have no idea what I'd do without mine.

The storage rack has mounting holes in it, though with the angle of where you're trying to put it you may have to put some braces across to use them or just use some long screws if you're careful not to go all the way through (which I can't imagine would be an issue if that forward compartment is like mine). The second picture on Amazon shows the mounting holes. You might also be able to use some mounting tape to make it work.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    i put my tackle in one of the rod boxes. I like to sit on the center hatch when i retie. the plano boxes fit well in the rod locker
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

4. Member
    Have a 98 R93 with the same situation. got some plastic cutting boards from walmart cut them to fit from side to side so you now have a flat floor. now you can cut pieces to make dividers

5. Member
    I made this and works pretty well

6. Member
    Sorry, I gotta figure out how to shrink the dam pics

7. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    waiting on pics you can text them to me
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

8. Member
    I have the factory deck extension in my '91 391V and have found that the plastic milk crates that you can find at Walmart or Target are actually the perfect size to fit through the hatch on the deck extension. They are also the perfect size for holding 3700 boxes - I think you can get 5 of them in there. It's not the most elegant solution but it has worked okay for me. It does make it easy to pull all the boxes out for cleaning and organizing. I'm always on the lookout for something that looks a little nicer like the wire rack above but it works for now.
    Matt
    1991 Ranger 391V
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

9. Member
    I may look at those wire box holders. I do have a deck extension, but I take it out when I take the family out on the water to ski or tube, so putting my tackle under the deck extension just isn't going to be a good solution for me. I think our boats do have a similar layout, as I have the front compartment like you described. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I've got some of the wire box holders mounted in my 481vs, though I'm always on the lookout for something better. That being said, the "better" solutions are always mega expensive, so these could be a really cheap solution to your issue! I bought mine at Fleet Farm (definitely have those in Iowa, right?), but Tackle Warehouse and Amazon have them as well as many others I'm sure. Amazon link

Do you have a deck extension? I store my tackle in that. Assuming our boats' layouts are fairly similar, I've got an angled storage compartment ahead of my deck extension that I just put my cooler and other odds and ends into (no cooler built into the 481vs). I actually think Ranger considers that a "front livewell" on mine. It's lined like a livewell but drains to the bilge and has no plumbing. If you don't have a deck extension, building/buying one may be your best solution to storage issues. I have no idea what I'd do without mine.

The storage rack has mounting holes in it, though with the angle of where you're trying to put it you may have to put some braces across to use them or just use some long screws if you're careful not to go all the way through (which I can't imagine would be an issue if that forward compartment is like mine). The second picture on Amazon shows the mounting holes. You might also be able to use some mounting tape to make it work.

10. BBC SPONSOR Pro's Choice Pete's Avatar
    For my boat I made a floor out of 3/4" plywood in the front compartment of my 482vs. I hated having my tackle in the compartment with the angled sides so this is what I came up with to solve the problem. I made a pattern out of cardboard, cut the plywood on a bevel to fit the angle of the sides, sealed it with gelcoat resin, and used silicone to hold it in place then put a piece of carpet over it. It's been in there for about 7 years now and works great, only problem is it makes the compartment a lot smaller but I can still get way too much tackle in there.
    Pro's Choice Marine's Facebook Page
    Pete's Ranger Channel
    Click on the banner to check out our website!

11. Member
    I would like to make mine a dry storage, too. Like Drew, mine is lined like a livewell. Does anyone know what size plug I need for the pipe in this “livewell?”

12. Member
    My old Ranger had same problem. I just placed them in there length wise going with the 3600 on the outside 3700 towards middle worked well. Had about 9-10 boxes
    total and put the bulk stuff in front. I hope this will help.

13. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    i put my tackle in one of the rod boxes. I like to sit on the center hatch when i retie. the plano boxes fit well in the rod locker
    Me too, I use 3600 trays and store the in the starboard hatch. Rods in the Port locker. In the center I took some old towels and fill the Vee. Went to Wal-Mart and got a plastic tub that fit the area. Adjusted the towels and ended up with a nice set up.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

I like the center storage idea like mentioned, but I too put my tackle in the right rod locker, as I also like to sit and retie, I use a small tackle bag on game day. I took the deck extension out of my r83. Gives me a place to sit, set down my net, swing fish into etc. my dad made a rack for his center compartment on his 360v, works great.

15. Member
    In the deep "V" area, I place items in soft canvas bags in the deep V. This could be rain gear, extra soft plastics, line, whatever. Anyway this levels out this area enough to place your plastic storage containers either on end or flat in this area.

Easiest, fastest, and cheapest solution is to get a short stall compression shower curtain rod to go across the compartment from side to side to keep things from sliding forward and then put enough 3600 to 3700s to take up the entire space from side to side. They’ll stay put and when you take one out they won’t fall completely over even with the angled bottom.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

17. Member
    Bumping this one to see if someone knows what size plug is needed for the front “livewell” on the 482vs? I really want to plug it to create dry storage.