compatible controls

i blew 89 johnson,70 hp,had RED plugin ,got 2001 j70plsis does not have red plugin with controls i got with it. can i make this work so i dont have to switch conrols. also want to elemenate oiler,mix myself.thanks rbass

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

www.marineengine.com you'll need the adapter cable to make the swap your choice on vendor.

3. Member
    sir,what is the orange plug with brown with blk,yellow,orange stripe, purple blk gray ,GO,thanks for your expertise

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Those go to the new motors components. Your oil tank is tan/black and the VRO is 4 wire, purple, black, tan an gray. You would not hook these up to the new motor.

5. Member
    ty

6. Member
    sir,here is what i have found out,one cluster of 3 wire(white brown stripe-blk-purple)leads trim sender to trim gauge,not needed. next cluster of 3 wires (blk-purple-gray)dont know where they go to? next is cluster of 8 wires(1 purple-2 blk-3 gray-4 brown or tan with yellow stripe-5 brown or tan with blk stripe-6 brown -7 brown or tan with orange stripe-8 white with blue stripe,dont know where they go. next is brown with blue stripe-purple going to little gray n blk plastic piece,im lost on that one. cant find any diagram to help me sifer this one out.can you identify them?you said vro is 4 wire,they must be in that cluster of 8.wires r all hooked to motor but on control end is where im lost,i see trim bundle and starter bundle ,they were hooked when i bought it.any place i can see wire diagram .thank you very much.im sure you can tell im not the sharpest tool in the shed.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Black-purple-gray is for the Tach.
    VRO is internal to the motor.
    The 8 wire harness is for the Sytem check tach with the 4 LEDs.
    6 wire harness is for your ignition.
    If you choose to hack the harness it is your motor your choice. Good luck.
    Your control box and cables will work just fine with the new motor.

8. Member
    sir,i am not hacking anything ,i bought motor come wit controls and all of these wires no where to go.first iwas going to get adapter ,an hook to my old controls,went ahead an put on the ones that came with motor,it looks like it was hacked but not by me,not brave enuff to do that,only one i still dont know is the brown with blue stripe leading to a small gray an black box with one side green ? im lost on that one.you got me straight on all the rest,maybe ill try to start tommorrow.thank you very much.rbass

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Please post using a computer or tablet. I have no clue what you are talking about when you use terms like wit. I have no idea from your original post what you are trying to accomplish. You said you got a new motor and it doesn't work with your existing old motor wiring harness. Now you're saying you've got new controls. Brown/blue and Purple with a black is you warning alarm. No green in any of OMC or BRP wiring harnesses.

-----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

11. Member
    sorry sir for miss spelling the word with,i am on a computer. no green wire ,little gray -black box with green looking hard plastic on one side- brown with blue stripe and purple wire,seahorse sent me photo of setup,it is alarm horn,thank you very much for your time and help,i believe with your help i can go fishing very soon.couldnt have done it without you. robert w.

12. Member
    seahorse,thank you for the illustrations( hope i spelled it right).this is one heck of a forum,i am overwhelmed (spell check) with the information you guys share.thank you very much.robert w

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    He is the man.

14. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar